API Comp Cam VVT 266

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might go with that cam later in the year

If someone does this mod, it will have made this build worth the effort all the way round. my truck is the base example. The other cams will bring better results I think as well. Also, with this build model, remote tuning can be done. Making it easier for the next person. I hope this helps some.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
70 is terrific news. I bet it will drive a lot better not only with that added power but if they dialed down the torque management. This is great news. Thank you for keeping up with this post.

I pm'ed you.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
70 is terrific news. I bet it will drive a lot better not only with that added power but if they dialed down the torque management. This is great news. Thank you for keeping up with this post.

I pm'ed you.

I told AJ that I want the speedometer and the skinny pedal be tied by a wire( As one grasshopper, I said). You know a finely tune ride when that happens.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow! Can't wait to see some 1/4 mile times

Yeah, but I'm going to have to swap the gears out like you did first. 3.55 is great on the highway but 4.56 is best on the track. maybe you can point me in the right direction. I know it's not going to be cheap for a gear swap.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This sounds very promising! Would be on my list, after a gear swap like you said. Thanks for being the mule :cheers:

jaredj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great news!! You paved the way for many guys to do this mod as long as the tuning is affordable. I hope to follow in your footsteps by the end of the year.

USNVet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great news! I am going to be adding a cam eventually... Thanks for paving the way!

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great news!! You paved the way for many guys to do this mod as long as the tuning is affordable. I hope to follow in your footsteps by the end of the year.

The tuning for these Cams should be around $400.00 and from what I understand, can be done remotely at your local shop that has a dyno.

HAZRDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question regarding how much you think adding the ported head along with the cam helped. I purchased that same cam for my 09 ram and was wondering if I should buy heads as well. Did they tell you how much more power the heads alone would add?

HAZRDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ported heads

I spoke with a speed shop in Houston (A.R.D.) that specializes in HEMIs, and he told me the head would add around 35 to 40 HP. If that's true it sounds like a reasonable addition to my project.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke with a speed shop in Houston (A.R.D.) that specializes in HEMIs, and he told me the head would add around 35 to 40 HP. If that's true it sounds like a reasonable addition to my project.

yeah, that's about right on. The heads are very important part of this package. Hopefully, Ill get some more numbers tomorrow. It's a small cam but from what theyre telling me, the right cam for our trucks.

HAZRDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! I was told the same about the cam being the best choice. It's not too radical but it does add a decent amount of power to the mid and upper range of rpm band. I was warned about towing being mildly affected, but a trans. cooler and custom stall would fix that. Our HEMIs delicate engines when it comes to tuning as he put it hahaha.... but it is reliable. I look forward to the 1/4 mi. times!

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! I was told the same about the cam being the best choice. It's not too radical but it does add a decent amount of power to the mid and upper range of rpm band. I was warned about towing being mildly affected, but a trans. cooler and custom stall would fix that. Our HEMIs delicate engines when it comes to tuning as he put it hahaha.... but it is reliable. I look forward to the 1/4 mi. times!

I'd be happy just having my truck back at this point. I'm 6.5 weeks into this build with Arrington. Normally it takes a whole 14 hours to swap a cam and heads. The truck isn't a top priority considering the money being spent there. I'm sure the end result will be stellar, and not only does the engine need to be tuned but the transmission on mine as well. If I'm lucky, I'll probably see my truck again somewhere in the 8-9th week. So, you could have yours done before me in reality.

HAZRDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well at least in the end it will be worth the time and money. Look forward to your final numbers. I need to contact the guys your working with to for tuning advice when they get yours finalized. Soon as I get everything on mine I'll post some numbers and 1/4 mi times.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're good people. Awesome results with the challengers, Jeeps, and the Rams. I'm not sure but I think they can install/ tune this cam on your year truck. If they can put a blower on a 11-12 , a cam on 09 has got to be easier to map. Give em a call, Justin is my contact and set me up with the build.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're good people. Awesome results with the challengers, Jeeps, and the Rams. I'm not sure but I think they can install/ tune this cam on your year truck. If they can put a blower on a 11-12 , a cam on 09 has got to be easier to map. Give em a call, Justin is my contact and set me up with the build.

Did a follow on this with Justin at Arrington. he said " yes we will be able to support the '09 + trucks with email tuning for head/cam packages shortly. Once they finish the tune in your truck they will reformat for all year models. should be within a month..."

HAZRDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok that's great news! Thanks for the info. Hopefully soon I'll be running past the mustangs and camaros hahaha!