Apparently Cooper doesn't like truthful reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regarding tires, anyone have a particular opinion of TireRack, and their customer's rating system? Seems to me, their least expensive tires get the highest reviews. Seems fishy to me. Could be frugal customers justifying their frugality, refusing to admit any mistake in going the cheapest route? Hey, I'm frugal as well. But if there's any real benefit to the higher, or even highest product, I'm going with it.

stvbldso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have owned a lot of vehicles, and therefore I have purchased a lot of tires, in my time. Without a doubt, Cooper tires have been my worst experience. Total junk. In one set, three of the four weren’t round, and of course they could not be balanced due to that issue. And the only “round” tire out of the set, wouldn’t balance either. These aren’t tires….they are cheap rim protectors…..

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

Thanks again,
coopertire

So far awesome!
I wouldn’t normally do a review with only 1000 miles of use so I will come back down the road to update. The reason I am doing this is because these tires have exceeded my expectations in cornering especially in off camber turns as well as wet driving in comparison to my previous tires the Discoverer AT3’s. I was able to drive with confidence for over 50 miles this week while having downpours from Hurricane Ida in NJ at speeds up to 65. My old AT3’s were horrible in both the corners and rain. They were so bad in rain I was afraid to go above 50 on the highway because they hydroplaned. This seems to be the exception but was my experience. If the Rugged Trek’s perform well in snow I will have hit the trifecta of tire attributes that mean the most to me! I had used p275/60 r 20’s for the AT3’s and now am using the LT 275/65 r20’s for the Rugged Treks so with the almost 2” taller profile, 1/2” wider width and almost 20pounds per tire increase in weight I did lose about 2mpg which is to be expected but the other performance so far exceeds my previous tires I am fine with it. Oh and the pictures in the description don’t do these tires justice. They look great! I actually had a friend ask if I got a new truck! LOL!!!
I loved the AT3s when I swapped out the garbage SRAs to them. I'm now in the market for new tires again and now that I know Cooper has been bought by Goodyear I'll be going with the Nittos that I had on my Silverado. I only chose Cooper over them because the Terra Grappler 2 had just come out and the price difference was substantial. The Nittos have been hands down the best A/T tire I've ever had.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I previously had Falken tires on my truck and when I was needing to replace them, I intended to replace them with the same tire. Falken no longer made that tire, so I went with Cooper and am very happy with the tires. However, that was before the merger, which I didn't even know about. Don't know if I will still own the truck, be alive, whatever, when these need to be replaced, but I will have to find another brand when and if that time comes. Not a fan of Goodyear.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Regarding tires, anyone have a particular opinion of TireRack, and their customer's rating system? Seems to me, their least expensive tires get the highest reviews. Seems fishy to me. Could be frugal customers justifying their frugality, refusing to admit any mistake in going the cheapest route? Hey, I'm frugal as well. But if there's any real benefit to the higher, or even highest product, I'm going with it.

I use TireRack as my starting point for tire research simply because they carry so many different makes and models and have so many reviews. From a statistics standpoint, the more reviews you have the more accurate the the result is. When I've made tire purchases based on these, I've found the consensus ranking to be accurate.

If anything, the one time I choose expensive Michelin based on the high ranking, I found them to be over-rated in my application (severe 4 season weather), and the next most expensive the best (General Grabber ATX).

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have owned a lot of vehicles, and therefore I have purchased a lot of tires, in my time. Without a doubt, Cooper tires have been my worst experience. Total junk. In one set, three of the four weren’t round, and of course they could not be balanced due to that issue. And the only “round” tire out of the set, wouldn’t balance either. These aren’t tires….they are cheap rim protectors…..
That's interesting, generally Cooper tires have gotten pretty good reviews. The Evolution H/T set I had put on last February were made in America, and they're performing very well. I think some of their lines have been made in China, especially many larger truck tires and the budget lines.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I am a Michelin LTX man.

On the balance issue. Find an old timey tire shop and have them balanced on the truck. I had a Ford that was the only way to get the factory tires (Falken) balanced. Went to Discount and put on a set of LTX's. Problem fixed.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Road force balanced also.

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not thrilled about this merger. I was under the impression that these tires were American made but after looking at my tires it shows product from China. I just bought the ATP’s 2 and am thinking of returning to discount tire to replace them. Cooper does still make a few truck tires on the US but not all of them. My wife’s cars tires I had just replaced as well shows American made somewhere, I think Missouri plant.

Any ways I’m very disappointed of being miss lead. And very disappointed that they are mostly China made. Yes I’m an American made products person. I’m willing to pay whatever the price so long as it’s American made.
AMEN!!!

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
from my first set to the new set on now three out of eight tires when balancing (road force) were at 8 oz or better due to bad tires even though the dude doing the balancing tried to blame my wheels.What does that tell you,this will be the last set of coopers and,when they are half worn or better the ride turns to sh.t

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When that happens you mark tire then rotate on rim and try again if follows rim the rim is bad if follows the tire it is bad

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
When that happens you mark tire then rotate on rim and try again if follows rim the rim is bad if follows the tire it is bad
If it werent for the fact that i saw what was happening the tech would have just sent my truck through with those high ounce tires.I had to tell him what to do and he even went to his boss complaining about my interference.Fortunately i now the head guy which worked out for me they had to expedite replacement tires while i waited there

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a set of Cooper Discoverer AT's LT265/70R17 on my 2015, and I couldn't be happier with them. Load range E, they have held up well and still have 7/32nds above the wear bars after almost 40k miles of use.

The best part is that they only cost $675 for the set at of all places, WalMart.

Resized_20191216_160708.jpg
20210307_111213.jpg

Have had them on the truck since Dec. of '19.

Last edited:

jblack1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I recently took off the Cooper AT3’s I bought due to not being able to balance the tires. The techs where I bought them tried eight tires. Only three were able to be balanced. I selected another brand. Had heard good things about Cooper. Didn’t know they were bought by Goodyear.
I have less than 2k on my set. Although, I love they way they look, (white lettered, old school) I’m about to go for the 4th time. Each time, the speed of tremor changes. Currently, smooth at 63-65, abusive on the 70 range, at 80, smooth. 85, it torture, and all over the place less than 63. Yes, I tested them well after the 3rd balance. Even the owner told me that these were the worst to balance.

freedom 2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m not thrilled about this merger. I was under the impression that these tires were American made but after looking at my tires it shows product from China. I just bought the ATP’s 2 and am thinking of returning to discount tire to replace them. Cooper does still make a few truck tires on the US but not all of them. My wife’s cars tires I had just replaced as well shows American made somewhere, I think Missouri plant.

Any ways I’m very disappointed of being miss lead. And very disappointed that they are mostly China made. Yes I’m an American made products person. I’m willing to pay whatever the price so long as it’s American made.
The atps are a cheaper line made by cooper specifically for discount tire. The discoverer at3 and rugged trek are made in America. I'm not overly thrilled by the merger, but only because it's a merger between the two remaining American heavyweights. I prefer tires from Cooper or Goodyear

freedom 2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is exactly why I never purchase tires based off of reviews. Not really a fan of tire rack or their business model. I would rather purchase tires from somewhere local that I can walk into

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
The fact that Goodyear allows Black Lives Matter shirts but not Blue Lives Matter is enough for me to never give them another penny of my money. They want equality then it's all or nothing

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I put some Yokohama Geolanders on my 95 Dodge, perfect experience with them.

Likely put 20,000 km on them, they still look great, excellent in the winter ( I live 4 hours north of Toronto ).

I think they are "D" rated for my 1/2 ton. I will definitely buy another set.

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Haven’t had an issue with my Cooper AT3 4S . Perfect in all weather conditions in my world. Have about 20,000 miles on them and looks like I’ll get another 20,000 or more. That being said, I also am not thrilled with Cooper Goodyear merger. I’ll be looking at Michelin, Continental and Nitto.
Personal experience with 2 sets of Continental Contitracs was not good. OE LT275/70R18 tires on F250 started chunking out tread at 3yrs / 30k miles - minimal wear for 30k but Ford dealer said that chunking complaint on Continental OE tires was not uncommon (sorry can only help you if you replace with same tires - but can make you a good deal on Goodyears this week). Looks like they are still using same tires but maybe improved compounding or not (???) - But first of 4 $$$$ strikes before I dumped F250 for RAM 2500.

Second set LT235/85R16 same chunking problem on multiple tires with less mileage - almost no tread wear (hard compound). Dumped Continentals when noticed significant chunking while on the road towing - cost me a day. Replaced at Sams with BFGoodrich Commercial TA and loved them before they were recalled in that size and replaced for free with Michelin XPS due to major shortage in that size at the time because of the recall - Love the Michelin XPS in this size - still using.

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The atps are a cheaper line made by cooper specifically for discount tire. The discoverer at3 and rugged trek are made in America. I'm not overly thrilled by the merger, but only because it's a merger between the two remaining American heavyweights. I prefer tires from Cooper or Goodyear
I greatly appreciate the information. I wasn’t aware of the discount tire brand only deal. Guess it’s like Big O brand tires.