Apple CarPlay...wired or Bluetooth (wireless)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram03reg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the 2019 Ram allow Apple CarPlay over Bluetooth or does the phone have to be plugged in via USB?

I like the idea of the wireless charging pad but if I have to connect my iPhone via wire in-order to use Apple CarPlay, it kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Thanks

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Does the 2019 Ram allow Apple CarPlay over Bluetooth or does the phone have to be plugged in via USB?

I like the idea of the wireless charging pad but if I have to connect my iPhone via wire in-order to use Apple CarPlay, it kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Thanks

I don’t have the RAM Charger but I will say there is an issue with iOS 11.3 and call volumes through CarPlay in the 2019s. The volume is entirely too loud and crackles. But I do not believe CarPlay is available wirelessly. I once read it was a security concern as it basically mirrors your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ram03reg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t have the RAM Charger but I will say there is an issue with iOS 11.3 and call volumes through CarPlay in the 2019s. The volume is entirely too loud and crackles. But I do not believe CarPlay is available wirelessly. I once read it was a security concern as it basically mirrors your phone.

Sounds like you may need to check the settings on your phone or within your truck. The speaker volume is probably way too high, especially if it only happens during phone calls. If security is a concern, it is not on the apple side..it would be Ram making excuses. Wireless Apple CarPlay is already available with other vehicles and aftermarket stereos (Alpine).

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sounds like you may need to check the settings on your phone or within your truck. The speaker volume is probably way too high, especially if it only happens during phone calls. If security is a concern, it is not on the apple side..it would be Ram making excuses. Wireless Apple CarPlay is already available with other vehicles and aftermarket stereos (Alpine).

That conversation I had was when it was first introduced so I’m sure it’s improved.

What settings would you be referring to? It only happens during CarPlay, wireless calls are perfect. Music volume is perfect.

OP
OP
R

ram03reg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That conversation I had was when it was first introduced so I’m sure it’s improved.

What settings would you be referring to? It only happens during CarPlay, wireless calls are perfect. Music volume is perfect.

Honestly I am not sure. If everything else plays from your phone at normal level, it makes me believe with great certainty it is a setting. I have not played with the 2019 Ram infotainment system so I would not be any help here.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Honestly I am not sure. If everything else plays from your phone at normal level, it makes me believe with great certainty it is a setting. I have not played with the 2019 Ram infotainment system so I would not be any help here.

Ill keep you informed if I find it lol

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wireless CarPlay is not widely supported because it requires a WiFi connection, as Bluetooth isn’t sufficient to support bandwidth consumption across apps that are performing constant screen updates like GPS. There are a few recommended aftermarket decks:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/13/best-carplay-display/

Happy hunting!

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Wireless CarPlay is not widely supported because it requires a WiFi connection, as Bluetooth isn’t sufficient to support bandwidth consumption across apps that are performing constant screen updates like GPS. There are a few recommended aftermarket decks:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/13/best-carplay-display/

Happy hunting!

I was under the impression that you could establish a WiFi connection with the Uconnect 8.4.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was under the impression that you could establish a WiFi connection with the Uconnect 8.4.

You can, but Apple CarPlay over WiFi is not currently supported with UConnect 8.4. Perhaps it might be at some point in the future via an update, but not right now.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You can, but Apple CarPlay over WiFi is not currently supported with UConnect 8.4. Perhaps it might be at some point in the future via an update, but not right now.

Given Chrysler’s (and now FCA’s) track record, they’d only enable it on newer vehicles.

zirai10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Android Auto I’ve noticed will only come up on the 8.4 when it is connected with wire. I’ve tried over Bluetooth and have been unsuccessful.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my 2019, and was told U connect not yet supported, but Car PLay is, hmmmm, gonna have to explore and play around, I got an old I Phone 5 that car play and Nav actually works, but just have not played around with it yet,. But my Bighorn has the Level 2 package, and does not even have an inverter or TT controls. The TT controls ordered awaiting on Dealer to receive, so who knows... I did call U Connect and was told 2019's not supported yet, just Car Play It does ask me if I want to connect over USB or WI-FI, have not played yet as I have to upgrade my phone since it is limited,,, will report back

DeusUrsus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was a little disappointed when I tried to setup Carplay via wireless, since my Ram has the wireless charging pad too. When I found out it was via USB only, it made the feature a little lackluster. Carplay doesn't look great on my 12 inch screen either, so hopefully Apple will optimize it for tablet screens later on.
For now, Nav works very very well with Uconnect. I didn't care for it on my 2016 Ram, but so far the navigation aspect has been incredible on my 2019. It looks beautiful, and it's very customizable, and the routes that I've been getting to navigate through traffic have been very good.
Music is still a chore compared to using Apple Music, but I'll usually just use Siri to find music hands-free (via Apple Music).

Here's hoping that they update Uconnect to work wirelessly one day!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they add wireless CarPlay they need a way to deactivate it. With car play I can’t use factory nav or in dual screen mode switch to normal media screen. I am happy with their decision to omit it. After all it is just plugging in a wire, have we really gotten that lazy as a society? Plus the wireless charger ain’t quick enough to charge while doing CarPlay so either way it should really be plugged in.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Wireless would probably mean something like casting. Like you can with your phone to your tv. That would kill the battery and you would end up plugged up anyway.

Louis72c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If any of you want wireless CarPlay here is an option that work great for me on my 2020 ram with 8.4 Uconnect
I bought and installed a CPlay2Air adapter that turns your wired CarPlay into a wireless one. Takes literally seconds to install and works just like the wired version.
I also wanted wireless charging so I taped a wireless charger to the pad and literally do not have to plug my iPhone in anymore!
Here’s a pic

1A8452B0-E0B0-42B0-85F8-4458E7B02506.jpeg