Are 2022 Exhaust manifolds still an issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tozyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello all! I just factory ordered a 2022 Ram Classic short bed regular cab Express with the Hemi. The dealer said expect a 3 to 5 month wait but could possibly come sooner. I've had 3 of these in the past 10 or so years and everyone has needed exhaust manifolds. I was wondering if the problem has ever been resolved. It seems like after all these years they should have figured it out.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt it as nothing has changed.
They really don't need "new " manifolds, they just need trued and the bolts replaced to fix it - and that repair seems to last.
You could always do that proactively 3 years in or so before the bolts snap.

New manifolds will warp too, since they aren't heat cycled, the old manifolds usually will hold a better shape after you plane them.

That being said, my 2016 is going to be 6 yrs old and just over 50k miles and no problem.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Toz, You do whatever you want, my friend. But if it was me, I'd have a pair of shorty headers waiting for that new truck when it comes in. And I'd have the dealership put them on.

While I'm spending your money.... I order a driveshaft for that new truck. Do your research first, But I think that's the configuration that likes to destroy driveshafts.

And post pics! I gotta see that thing!

OP
OP
T

tozyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ha! Thanks RLJ! I am going to check those headers out.
Here is a photo of my 2012, the new truck should look almost Identical. The same color and even the same rims are available after all these years. They just don't offer that hood any longer on the short bed.

Attachments

• Ram old photo.jpg
    Ram old photo.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 29

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Toz, You do whatever you want, my friend. But if it was me, I'd have a pair of shorty headers waiting for that new truck when it comes in. And I'd have the dealership put them on.

While I'm spending your money.... I order a driveshaft for that new truck. Do your research first, But I think that's the configuration that likes to destroy driveshafts.

And post pics! I gotta see that thing!

That's funny. I do that too sometimes (guilty!!). It would be nice if they did about 10 other things. Then suddenly they've raised the price a couple grand and yer buying a ...Ford :eek: instead. A lot of my old customers were automotive parts suppliers. Quality control is really high but just as high are price controls. It's a tough business. But I agree..if there was a way to heat/cool cycle them 2000 times economically that would save a bunch of headaches.

PO - Sounds like a nice truck you ordered. 2x or 4x?

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I did have to replace them in my 2003, but it was surprisingly easy

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They actually made a modification to them in 2018 or 2019 to address the problem but now instead of warping and breaking the bolts the manifold cracks instead. Do what RLJX10 said and you’ll never have a problem again.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2019 classic has tie bars between the bolts and the manifolds. As @tidefan1967 said, maybe now this just puts more stress on the manifolds themselves?

As much as I hate to use the same parts again, I'd be leery of most shorty headers unless you spend huge dollars on them.

Here's a pic of the tie bars on my 2019 classic hemi :

3sgKNaIl.jpg

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2019 classic has tie bars between the bolts and the manifolds. As @tidefan1967 said, maybe now this just puts more stress on the manifolds themselves?

As much as I hate to use the same parts again, I'd be leery of most shorty headers unless you spend huge dollars on them.

Here's a pic of them:

View attachment 491851
Yep that’s what I was talking about. Thanks!

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Pressing the steering wheel buttons works, but I want it to happen effortlessly

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The local dealership had a RCSB on the lot. Once. Only once. Man, it was tough looking. It lasted a day and a half. If I had a product that sold that well, I'd always have at least one on the lot. But nooooo....

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi is on death row,there won't be any upgraded parts or etc,couple more years and FCA gonna stop producing this engines.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
And even if FCA did, the aftermarket industry will pick up the slack

Captain Bart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
Just welded nuts on the broken bit of the stud (even one broke flush) and they backed right out
I am in line to get my manifolds done. The mechanic tells me, he heats the old manifold to take the warp out, before re-installing them. Not sure if that would be permanent........