are cold airs work it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
6.7 cummins
80k mi 129k km

are cold air intakes worth the investment?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
CAI are only worth it for looks and if you want to hear a little more whistle.
The truck already pulls air from the front fender, a "cold air source". Being your truck has the Cummins all the air already goes through the intercooler.
Not even going with high flow air filter is worth it with a turbo diesel. The minute amount of pressure drop(tenths of in/wc) a high flow air filter saves doesn't do anything for an engine that runs on psi of air pressure. Capacity wise the stock air filter can more than keep up with the amount of air the turbo can cram into the engine.

Same goes for the exhaust side, nothing to gain with a SCR back exhaust except looks, sound and a couple of less pounds.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crash said it perfectly. All I’ll add is if you want “colder” air you can upgrade the intercooler but is the cost worth it at that point? Unless you are tuned and racing is it beneficial? You won’t see much change by any one part for what you have. I’m all for boosting your power up but cost to benefit ratio is a huge factor for me. The return on a CAI in your application would have no positives for your engine. The factory setup is an active setup. One opening is in the fender and the other is open by the wheel well. The truck uses a temp sensor and humidity sensor to calculate which opening has colder denser air and will switch. A better intercooler without other engine upgrades is negligible at best since they are sized to the application already. Banks intercooler kit is 1829$ and claims 27hp and 51ft lbs but lists indirectly in fine print that tuning may be required to achieve that

Attachments

• 9C4B259F-2CC6-4033-B90E-0254F9AB8FA1.png
    9C4B259F-2CC6-4033-B90E-0254F9AB8FA1.png
    244.5 KB · Views: 3

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your stock is a CAI. And unless you are building a high HP race truck there is no benefit to going aftermarket. The stock setup has been proven to supply enough air to support up around ~625HP. And the stock filters better then a lot of the aftermarket solutions

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I’ll add to all the above….. that it does depend on your set up and use.

Jist don’t want ‘cooler’ air…. but ‘clean’ air is as important too.

Vararam has documented and proven increased performance in HP / TQ / and times….. but it is at a cost $$$.

Snorkels (AEV) have demonstrated as well that in a dirty / dusty environment that pulling the air in from a higher point can be cleaner than lower where the dirt/ dust gets kicked up.

All depends :waytogo:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Correct, as mentioned it depends on the application (set-up and use). :waytogo:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just to clarify, we are talking a diesel here.... (Vararam is hemi only as far as I know)
yes we are, the Cummins uses something better than the Vararam, it's a Variable Geometry Turbo. It crams air into the engine no matter how fast your traveling.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I ran an S&B cold air intake on my Cummins for years until I got fed up with cleaning the oiled filter, then I reinstalled the factory air box. There was no gains and no loss in performance either way and truthfully, I wish I had left the factory set-up on the truck. The factory filtration is abundantly adequate to at least 800 hp, though mine was running just under 500 hp.