Are Fox Shocks Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nld1299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I drive a 2017 Tradesman 2WD and I plan on lifting it within the next couple months. I’m getting a Maxtrac 6.5” lift kit but I don’t know whether to get it with Maxtrac shocks or Fox shocks. Anybody have some advice?

Heath Edwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I put FOX 2.0 shocks on my stock 2500 4x4 Cummins the first weekend I owned it. Ordered them and a set of 295/70/18 Ridge Graps the day I bought it. Couldn’t be happier! Huge difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I heard Fox, Bilstein, and ProComp were all made by the same company. I personally bought ProComp shocks and struts for my truck and I’m loving the ride.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I heard Fox, Bilstein, and ProComp were all made by the same company. I personally bought ProComp shocks and struts for my truck and I’m loving the ride.

The only way I can see it happening is if outsourcing occurs. Only way to 100% confirm would be an ex-employee from the company to advise us.

The cynic in my wants to say that you were probably told that by one of those guys that believes everything is owned by a few monster companies. I love talking to those guys, usually also conspiracy theorists. Silly people. While it can happen in some industries, from my research, these three are entirely different companies.

I found a few people, a decade ago, that claimed Pro Comp shocks were made by Edelbrock for them, but even if that was (or still is) true, that still makes them separate from Fox (owned by Compass Diversified Holdings) and Bilstein (owned by ThyssenKrupp).

I have FOX 2.0 front struts on my Ram. Replaced a set of Bilstein 4600s, as I couldn't tell the difference between them and my factory units. Still have the Bilsteins on the back, haven't got around to ordering the rear Fox shocks yet. The front definitely is improved over factory and the Bilsteins.

Last edited:

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The only way I can see it happening is if outsourcing occurs. Only way to 100% confirm would be an ex-employee from the company to advise us.

The cynic in my wants to say that you were probably told that by one of those guys that believes everything is owned by a few monster companies. I love talking to those guys, usually also conspiracy theorists. Silly people. While it can happen in some industries, from my research, these three are entirely different companies.

I found a few people, a decade ago, that claimed Pro Comp shocks were made by Edelbrock for them, but even if that was (or still is) true, that still makes them separate from Fox (owned by Compass Diversified Holdings) and Bilstein (owned by ThyssenKrupp).

I have FOX 2.0 front struts on my Ram. Replaced a set of Bilstein 4600s, as I couldn't tell the difference between them and my factory units. Still have the Bilsteins on the back, haven't got around to ordering the rear Fox shocks yet. The front definitely is improved over factory and the Bilsteins.

I don’t know as I didn’t go into all of the research. I had Ranchos on my truck front and rear when I bought it. The ProComps were a big improvement for me. I think the body of the shock is made at the same place for them. But I’m not 100% certain. I’m just happy with mine and they were the cheapest of the 3.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends. If you’re not off-roading and simply want something that can hold the weigh of the truck while you go from point A to B the cheapy shocks can work out. Fox shocks are built with better parts inside and out plus even the little 2.0s can be revalved and rebuilt. They’re worth their cost when having a better suspension matters.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You betcha they are. Just look at all the professional racing teams in all categories that use them, everything thing from Indie cars, Baja trucks to UTVs and Mountain bikes. Personally i don't thing anybody does it better but that's just my opinion from using them on over a dozen different motorcycles now. And while Joe and Geoff Fox no longer own the company, it has kept the quality and innovation they are known for. Quick story and totally irrelevant. Way back in 1984 I had a street bike that I wanted to change over to Fox suspension as it was a street/race bike. They didn't make anything yet for it so they made me a deal, leave the bike with us (they were one location in Santa Clara CA at the time) and we'll prototype on your bike, when done the stuff is yours free of charge. They had it a month if I remember and when done they were true to their word. Been a customer ever since.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not think FOX, Bilstein, and ProComp are made by the same company. Maybe Bilstein makes ProComp. I doubt ProComp makes Bilstein, Bilstein is a huge company. I believe Fox is made by Fox.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
even if they are made by the same company which i dont think they are they can be built to different specs.

the Fox Shocks in this kit are good shocks. IMO they are worth the extra money.

We offer Maxtrac and can offer very good pricing on it. Message me for a quote, we typically have good stock on Maxtrac