Are Power Steps Safe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alnbobby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine
I have a 2022 RAM 3500 with the power steps / side rails. My rails are currently set to Auto ... meaning they extend / retract when a door opens / closes. They extend immediately when a door is opened. They take a few seconds before retracting after a door is shut. When the rails are extended there is a 6 inch gap (approximate) between the truck and the rail. My question is this: if an arm or a leg (or any object for that matter) happens to be between the truck and the rail when the rails retract, will the rails detect an obstruction and not retract? Or will it retract, and pin the object such that it can't retract further? FYI ... I've not tested this by placing a pole or anything else in the gap. Thanks in advance for your feedback. BG

brian42

Military
Reaction score
It will stop retracting. The steps are safe (and so are your appendages ;))

The steps can "sense" when they contact an object (both when extending and retracting) and will stop motion to prevent damage to the object/body part and the step/assembly.

The motors are very small so don't provide a lot of force since the boards are pretty light. The boards are rated for 600lbs when fully extended.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I tested mine. They stop deploying when they contact something, I unintentionally used a dirt berm on a ditch by backing into the ditch, to load an antelope, so the board was only a couple of inches from the dirt. As soon as it touched the dirt berm it quit trying to deploy.

They also stop retracting when they contact something, I tested that by putting a piece of PVC pipe with a foam cover between the board and the rocker panel. It didn't hardly dent the foam.

OP
OP
alnbobby

alnbobby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine
Thanks all for the feedback! Glad to hear the power steps sense an obstruction.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once a company gets blamed for running over Superman or whoever that didn’t put their jeep in park, preventing power running boards from amputating legs is on the design release checklist, trust me. They probably pay consultants extra to make life sized hot dogs to use for testing and everything. There’s a reason these things are so expensive.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I would not test it on Mr. Winky though.
Thanks for the info, been wondering this myself since they seem to deploy with a lot of force. Have never tried sticking anything in there and especially NOT Mr. Winky...

But now that it has ben suggested, I suppose there will be that one who will try it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just hope they don't post a picture, but these days????????
Fellow I know has a ford, when it is winter in Canada , they would freeze /ice up and not move.
Mine are solid , so they always work

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I just hope they don't post a picture, but these days????????
Fellow I know has a ford, when it is winter in Canada , they would freeze /ice up and not move.
Mine are solid , so they always work
Typical Ford. I live in Canada. Even at -45, the ones on my Ram 2500 work just fine.

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will stop retracting. The steps are safe (and so are your appendages ;))

The steps can "sense" when they contact an object (both when extending and retracting) and will stop motion to prevent damage to the object/body part and the step/assembly.

The motors are very small so don't provide a lot of force since the boards are pretty light. The boards are rated for 600lbs when fully extended.
Thanks for your service Master Chief!

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I asked the salesman at the dealer to put his foot in the gap as the step retracted. He did it and he kept all his toes. Lol. It sensed him and stuck the step back out. It stays out indefinitely untik you open/close a door, again.