Are the Current Hemi motors still eating Cams and Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Hi,

I have been following this issue for awhile, and ran across a thread that suggested the engine problem was solved some years ago.

Is this true? The problem I refer to is the lifter / cam shaft / lack of oil and the early failure of the lifters and cams? Some people call this the Hemi Tick...

Thanks.

I am in the market and looking at buying a new or off lease 1500 for towing..

Regards

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I can only speak up to 72,000+ miles on my last 5.7 powered 1500. It would tick a bit on startup but then quieted down. I used the full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra Premium and the truck was happy while plowing, towing, or just driving.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Right on.. a small tick on start up is likely just the lifter before it pumps up with oil.

I would prefer a Hemi to a V6, only because I plan on towing. The V6 has actually as much torque and my 5.2L Magnum ( 1995 ).. and it has 80 more hp... Now, that is progress.. 3.6l beats a 5.2L

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Now that brings back memories...loved my old 318! That engine ran forever.
I took my truck into a garage to get it oil sprayed, an old timer mechanic came out, looked the truck over, and asked what engine do you have?

I told him 318, and he just smiled. Told me it beat the heck out of the 360, that the 360 had a few more hp, drank way more gas, and the 318 would run forever..

Almost at 200,000km... nothing for that motor. So far I fixed the intake manifold plenum gasket, and replaced the ignition coil.. Not bad for 25 years old

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

I have been following this issue for awhile, and ran across a thread that suggested the engine problem was solved some years ago.

Is this true? The problem I refer to is the lifter / cam shaft / lack of oil and the early failure of the lifters and cams? Some people call this the Hemi Tick...

Thanks.

I am in the market and looking at buying a new or off lease 1500 for towing..

Regards
Simple answer, yes the cam/lifter problem is still a thing and can affect even the 2021's they use the exact same 5.7hemi that has been used since 2009. They tried new needle bearings in 2016 which was suppose to the be "fix" but it wasn't.

Best thing you can do for your engine is maintain it properly with a tried and true synthetic oil/filter like Redline oil with a royal purple filter at regular intervals. Treat it right and don't neglect it and you shouldn't have any issues.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Well, here is to feedback, thank you for the replies.

I tend to look after my stuff, but, I know I can forget to do an oil change or let it ride... so, now wondering what I can do to make sure that I don't mess up a motor... my wife instantly said Cummins Diesel..

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Ive ran one hemi for 130k and no problems,another hemi now has 150k and no problems.It's like any motor out there...get good ones and can run across some that arent so good.

Do you mind telling me what years those motors were?

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I’ve got a bad lifter in my 19. Pretty annoying.
That is a bummer. The repair bill is going to be a few grand I guess? Unless you do it, and that is not a job for the average guy.

I rebuilt a GM 400 cu in small block Chevy motor, from a bare block with the cam bearings installed and the pistons and con rods assembled. Drove it for about 10 years. Roughly 450 hp. If you take your time, it can be done.

Most of us don't have the tools, time or space to do it.

I pulled that motor and tranny out of the car a few times, swapped it from 350 tranny to a 700R4, did not like that, to a BW Super T10 4 speed manual. In a 73 Firebird, I was able to buy all the clutch pedal, linkages, bell housings, etc etc.. Even worked up a reverse light switch.. I was given a Hurst Super Comp 4 speed shifter, that was missing a few pieces. I fabbed up the missing parts and it was magic.

I am a Dodge Truck guy... 76 Club Cab, 98 Dakota RT ( fun ), 95 Ram 1500 ( nice ). I wonder what Hughes Engines has to say..

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well, here is to feedback, thank you for the replies.

I tend to look after my stuff, but, I know I can forget to do an oil change or let it ride... so, now wondering what I can do to make sure that I don't mess up a motor... my wife instantly said Cummins Diesel..

So your wife wants you to get the cummins and you're here worrying about the 5.7... what's wrong with you?! Listen to your wife!

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right on.. a small tick on start up is likely just the lifter before it pumps up with oil.

I would prefer a Hemi to a V6, only because I plan on towing. The V6 has actually as much torque and my 5.2L Magnum ( 1995 ).. and it has 80 more hp... Now, that is progress.. 3.6l beats a 5.2L

What are you towing? If it’s light duty stuff, the V6 does fine. I tow a single axle camper (around 5klbs) and a Polaris ranger 800 on a tandem (around 3000lbs) and it does just fine. The hemi will do it better, but the V6 doesn’t really complain. I used to do the same with a 92 k1500 with a 305 that had 170hp... lol.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That is a bummer. The repair bill is going to be a few grand I guess? Unless you do it, and that is not a job for the average guy.

I rebuilt a GM 400 cu in small block Chevy motor, from a bare block with the cam bearings installed and the pistons and con rods assembled. Drove it for about 10 years. Roughly 450 hp. If you take your time, it can be done.

Most of us don't have the tools, time or space to do it.

I pulled that motor and tranny out of the car a few times, swapped it from 350 tranny to a 700R4, did not like that, to a BW Super T10 4 speed manual. In a 73 Firebird, I was able to buy all the clutch pedal, linkages, bell housings, etc etc.. Even worked up a reverse light switch.. I was given a Hurst Super Comp 4 speed shifter, that was missing a few pieces. I fabbed up the missing parts and it was magic.

I am a Dodge Truck guy... 76 Club Cab, 98 Dakota RT ( fun ), 95 Ram 1500 ( nice ). I wonder what Hughes Engines has to say..

If his is 19 he has a warranty. Unless he drive a ton of miles

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
So your wife wants you to get the cummins and you're here worrying about the 5.7... what's wrong with you?! Listen to your wife!

LOL, I am starting to think she is right, our trailer is 4500 lbs, not a super heavy unit, I think its 22 ft long. Our son lives near Redmond WA, and we live north of Toronto, Ontario. So, some Rocky Mountains ahead of us.. The more we talk about it, the more she says she does not to worry about the trans temp, or the brakes, etc etc.. Looks like I had better consider a Cummins.

My buddy tows a 5th wheel, likely 28 ft, with a GM 1500, has been everywhere with it, but hates the Rockies.. says the motor is just screaming.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, I am starting to think she is right, our trailer is 4500 lbs, not a super heavy unit, I think its 22 ft long. Our son lives near Redmond WA, and we live north of Toronto, Ontario. So, some Rocky Mountains ahead of us.. The more we talk about it, the more she says she does not to worry about the trans temp, or the brakes, etc etc.. Looks like I had better consider a Cummins.

My buddy tows a 5th wheel, likely 28 ft, with a GM 1500, has been everywhere with it, but hates the Rockies.. says the motor is just screaming.

Hemi 1500 with 3.92 gears will laugh at 4500lbs through the rockies.

A 2500 Cummins to tow that is the equivalent to deer hunting with a .50bmg.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hemi 1500 with 3.92 gears will laugh at 4500lbs through the rockies.

A 2500 Cummins to tow that is the equivalent to deer hunting with a .50bmg.
^^^ this exactly

LOL, I am starting to think she is right, our trailer is 4500 lbs, not a super heavy unit, I think its 22 ft long.
Even the EcoDiesel will laugh at that load in the Rockies. It will get significantly better fuel economy towing than the Hemi and you won't hear a screaming engine either.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I decided to contact Hughes Engines, and sent them an email. Will see what they have to say, since they specialize in building Mopar engines