Are the Current Hemi motors still eating Cams and Lifters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
Basically I am hearing buy the Hemi, do the Redline and Royal Purple oil changes, do them faithfully, and there is a really good chance I won't have a problem..
I am old school old dude.I do 4 to 4500 mile oil changes never ever more. even with synth. oil.I dont use that high dollar oil either. And I drive about 100 miles each day.My hemis hold up fine.On average my oci are 4 to 4200 tops.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to contact Hughes Engines, and sent them an email. Will see what they have to say, since they specialize in building Mopar engines

I’m confused. They build engines with aftermarket parts. Is that your plan?

I’m an old school GM guy. An OEM 350 vs a built 350 is an apples to kittens comparison in regards to durability, longevity, and power.

Are you building a hemi? Or just buying one?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I know I have been a advocate for the hemi this whole time but the one thing that crossed my mind is the chances of a trailer upgrade in the future. If your happy and confident in not getting a larger trailer(upwards of 6-7k ish loaded and 26+long) get the hemi do the oil changes with good oil and be done you will run out of truck before you run out of power. Just verify what oil you use meets Chrysler spec while it's under warranty witch I believe redline does but just double check.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Basically I am hearing buy the Hemi, do the Redline and Royal Purple oil changes, do them faithfully, and there is a really good chance I won't have a problem..
I’ve done redline since 6k miles. After first dealer oil change. Lifter is just getting worse. Dealer visit next week. I’m at 34k miles

also getting the new drive shaft that they released recently to fix the binding the old one had.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I’ve done redline since 6k miles. After first dealer oil change. Lifter is just getting worse. Dealer visit next week. I’m at 34k miles

also getting the new drive shaft that they released recently to fix the binding the old one had.

I wouldn’t tell the dealer you were using redline oil, it’s not Chrysler spec oil (MS-6385). Let us know how it goes at the dealer.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t tell the dealer you were using redline oil, it’s not Chrysler spec oil (MS-6385). Let us know how it goes at the dealer.
No I don’t. My service adviser knows I’ve done some things to the truck. But he’s super cool and won’t dock me for it. I just dont say anything in the building or around employees. Lol.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Failures of this nature are not unique to the 5.7 Hemi. In the last 60 days I know of two Silverados with the identical problems: GM Chevy 5.3 V8 camshaft failures - Bing

Earlier in the year a friend of mine experienced a lifter/camshaft failure in a 4 cylinder Malibu.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044079 miles.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I’m confused. They build engines with aftermarket parts. Is that your plan?

I’m an old school GM guy. An OEM 350 vs a built 350 is an apples to kittens comparison in regards to durability, longevity, and power.

Are you building a hemi? Or just buying one?

No, I am just contacting a known expert in Dodge motors, to see what their input is. I assume that they would know whats up with Hemi's, or could have something as a "fix", or, they may say this is really such a rare problem its not worth the thread. Me talking to Hughes is sort of like seeing the doctor vs talking to the patients.

OP
OP
Robeffy

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I know I have been a advocate for the hemi this whole time but the one thing that crossed my mind is the chances of a trailer upgrade in the future. If your happy and confident in not getting a larger trailer(upwards of 6-7k ish loaded and 26+long) get the hemi do the oil changes with good oil and be done you will run out of truck before you run out of power. Just verify what oil you use meets Chrysler spec while it's under warranty witch I believe redline does but just double check.
Its interesting, but right now Dodge is offering the Cummins as a no charge upgrade on 2500 series trucks.. Hemi or Cummins, same price, until Jan 4th.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Its interesting, but right now Dodge is offering the Cummins as a no charge upgrade on 2500 series trucks.. Hemi or Cummins, same price, until Jan 4th.

Yeah... but it’s not. If you read enough of the fine print you’ll see the large discount on the 6.4 trucks that will nearly match the ‘no-charge’ Cummins.

Best have your wallet ready.... everything about that 6.7 truck will cost more.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
2019 Laramie 1500 2wd 5.7l 3.92 rear gear. Sitting at my campsite in my Lance 2295 travel trailer, approximately 6250 lbs (loaded), reading this thread. 30k miles on the truck, 15k towing. Been coast to coast and back, and Florida to Maine, towing. Wouldn’t want any other truck for the setup I have. 11mpg towing, 21 on the highway, and 16 in town. No issues with the truck other than the back window leak that was fixed under warranty. And something else to consider is the wonderful way the truck rides. Friends with Fords and Chevys are impressed. Neighbor with a Ford FX2 had to put 500 lbs in the bed of his truck because the ride was so stiff it bothered his wife’s back; and she bought the truck for him.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Well, here is to feedback, thank you for the replies.

I tend to look after my stuff, but, I know I can forget to do an oil change or let it ride... so, now wondering what I can do to make sure that I don't mess up a motor... my wife instantly said Cummins Diesel..
Make a sticky note reminding you to change your oil or do what ever maintenance needed and the date you need to do it .

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, here is to feedback, thank you for the replies.

I tend to look after my stuff, but, I know I can forget to do an oil change or let it ride... so, now wondering what I can do to make sure that I don't mess up a motor... my wife instantly said Cummins Diesel..
Depending on where you live, I went from 5W-20 Pennzoil Full Synthetic to 5W-30 after a lifter failure at around 92,000 miles. Right at 136,000 on it now, and I don't have a hemi tick at all. My opinion is the 5W-20 is just too thin.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It happens but it’s not common. GM still has the same issue and I’d opine it’s probably with the same frequency from my casual observations. My suspicion since it happens on 1500 engines more than anything it’s the 5w20 oil GM and FCA are specifying to get better mileage.

My work car has a 5.7. My last one was a 2015 that went over 140k before the transmission went. That car saw nothing but 5w20 din oil every 5k and the engine was quiet. New one has 30k on it and I expect to get the same or more mileage out of it.

If you’re thinking about towing something heavier than 5k I’d give string consideration to a 2500 with the 6.4. It’s probably the most daily driver friendly 3/4 ton on the market right now. Rear coils won’t wreck you going over bumps like leaf springs and the 6.4/8 speed auto combo is flat awesome.

DiverTooTall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
I bought mine about 2 months ago used, it was a rental truck from Enterprise. It looks like they took care of it pretty dang well as far as I can see. I’m about to do the first oil change here in about a week or so and run full synthetic Amsoil with their filter bc it beats the hell out of all the others. I keep mine out of eco mode and use the cruise control often, it’s got just about 45k and is a 19 Classic. The only thing I’ve done to it is the JLT oil catch can but I have a few more goodies coming. No problems yet with it.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took my truck into a garage to get it oil sprayed, an old timer mechanic came out, looked the truck over, and asked what engine do you have?

I told him 318, and he just smiled. Told me it beat the heck out of the 360, that the 360 had a few more hp, drank way more gas, and the 318 would run forever..

Almost at 200,000km... nothing for that motor. So far I fixed the intake manifold plenum gasket, and replaced the ignition coil.. Not bad for 25 years old

Yep the old 318 were tough birds as were the slant 6 and 727 trans.

Anything that could last more than 30,000 with my daughter had to be tough. She had an 81 slant 6 Dodge her mom (also hell on cars and men) gave her in about 2000 with well over 100,00 miles on it. It still ran with 3 quarts low on ATF and 2 quarts low in the oil pan. I serviced it. Daughter drove the H out of it for over a year. She only stopped long enough to put gasoline in the tank but then she thought that was an inconvenience which should be covered by the dealer. No BS!

I loved my 1995 Dodge 360, with 355 limited slip differential, 2500 Van. I used it for towing. Non towing at interstate speeds with a/c 18 mpg was not uncommon. I gave it to my daughter (ref above) at 200,000 miles, it survived until the water pump went out. She did stop this time. I slowly drove it to a dealer. I told her I was done. I said to apply for the clunker money in Texas and trade it.

Dana Labbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just rolling my 08 over the 180k mark and just started to make a noise on start up. Goes away, when warmed up.
I can't complain. Still towing a 16 foot construction trailer no problem.
Love it!

TheCouveAbides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a Diablo tuner that turns the MDS feature off. That and consistent oil changes should keep my HEMI alive for quite some time. Can also tune it for towing heavier trailers. With an 89 octane tune in it I sometimes forget I'm towing a 6000lb trailer.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

I have been following this issue for awhile, and ran across a thread that suggested the engine problem was solved some years ago.

Is this true? The problem I refer to is the lifter / cam shaft / lack of oil and the early failure of the lifters and cams? Some people call this the Hemi Tick...

Thanks.

I am in the market and looking at buying a new or off lease 1500 for towing..

Regards
Have three 5.7 hemi's. Between 147k and 45K miles, NO engine problems of any kind. Old story mostly I think, or bad care sometimes.