Are there any cons to ram boxes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Storage is good but doors don't seem to close even, looks like they are not closed all the way, top of door don't line up with rest of bed, tried adjusting, no luck. 2018 Ram 1500

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 4th Gen had em. Very useful and handy.

They do make reaching over the side of the bed harder and limit the width of the box. ( the front corner of a std bed will gain almost 1.5 feet when hauling longer objects, you can’t caddy corner items as good with the rambox) aside from the lack of aftermarket support and tonneau covers costing more they are handy.

My 5th gen has a std bed, I missed the ram boxes for a couple weeks until I figured out how to pack under my seat / rambins. Now I don’t notice they aren’t there

trldude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I definitely spent some time drooling over the Nuthouse options

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife's loaded Rebel has them. My SLT doesn't. I wish I had them. I wish all Rams came standard with them. They're awesome, and combined with the included bed cargo management tracks make hauling things easy. There's a place fto r everything, out of the way and out of the weather in the Ram boxes. If you have them in a 5'7" bright white bed I'll swap you beds, straight across.

Last edited:

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They were not an option on my 2020 2500 with an 8' bed so that made them a no go.

Red

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One guy at work had cracking and another guy has had the skins separating from the lid.The guy with the cracks got his truck back from repair and the paint(red)didn't match.I can live without after seeing this.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Won’t work with fifth wheels unless you change the configuration on the pin box of the trailer. Exact reason why I couldn’t get them, I didn’t want to have to spend even more money to make the trailer compatible. Think they can be quite useful but I don’t like the look.

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I like mine. Very useful storage. Trucks are inherently task specific, what works for me may not work for you. Best wishes.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rambox cons off the top of my head...

Cant use a capper/topper

Aesthetics (opinion)

Lose a little bed space

Easy to scratch side of bed getting stuff in and out

Difficult to use fifth wheel trailers

Poor fitting in general. Many people have had major issues with the lids not fitting and falling apart etc.

However, despite all of their drawbacks, I really enjoy mine still. Its all in how you use your truck. I prefer them over the bed mounted toolbox myself. If the 5th gen boxes have a better fit and finish I will surely get them again, otherwise I may not check that box on the next truck.

RobertusvT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely depends on your application but if I were to do it again, I would have found a truck with the ram boxes. Tired of having to flip up my back seats to get to my tools.