Are they ripping me off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buddha277

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L 8 cylinder
I had one the drivers side tie rods replaced Back in November. Now last we

OP
OP
B

Buddha277

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L 8 cylinder
Haha pick on the new guy. Still figuring out the controls folks. Ok let's try this again. Dodge 5.9L 2002 Ram. I had the driver side tie rod replaced in November. Now I find out that the Power Steering rack needs to be replaced after diagnosing a power steering leak. Their asking $1000. Isn't the tie rod attached to the steering rack? Shouldn't they have identified this leak when the tie rod was replaced? Did I waste my money if the new rack already comes with the rods?

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha pick on the new guy. Still figuring out the controls folks. Ok let's try this again. Dodge 5.9L 2002 Ram. I had the driver side tie rod replaced in November. Now I find out that the Power Steering rack needs to be replaced after diagnosing a power steering leak. Their asking $1000. Isn't the tie rod attached to the steering rack? Shouldn't they have identified this leak when the tie rod was replaced? Did I waste my money if the new rack already comes with the rods?

Ok, first off, what makes you think the rack and pinion needs to be replaced? Are you having steering issues? My 08 Ram 1500 and my wife's 11 Jeep Grand both have leaky rack and pinions. However, it's not bad enough to change them. The boots are just slightly wet, but there has never been any issues with steering performance. I've had to add power steering fluid to my Ram once in it's life.

Secondly, the replacement rack and pinion will not come with new tie rod ends. 1000 bucks seems a little steep. Replacement units are around 300 to 350. Plus you'll need an alignment.

OP
OP
B

Buddha277

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L 8 cylinder
Took it in for the leaking steering fluid and that is what I was told. Prior to the visit I had already put stop leak in the reservoir. It was previously making churning noise with full rot of the wheel but that was all. Sounds like I need a second opinion.

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I might be wrong but it seems a power steering liquid leak would be visible with the truck running and someone TRUSTWORTHY sequencing the steering right and left.
I have thought for a long time I might have a slow leak on the passenger side. An area of Oil/dirt. I find out it is dripped motor oil from changing the oil filter. For years it has not been wiped clean after changing the filter. Found it the first time I did the filter swap.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a very high price>> first look up the part for your truck on rock auto.com and then see whats left from a grand they want should be no more then 250 to change the rack in labor and also you need a wheel alignment so get a price from another place for all this:Caffeine:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it needs replacement then i expect it to cost around 700 given that shops mark up parts a fair bit and shop rates aren' t terribly low anymore. Rack does not include tie rods. If its leaking and requires replacement don't let the fluid get low or you'll cook the pump as well, which is the more common thing to go wrong of the 2.