ARH headers installed on 19 Ram 3500 6.4 done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I will start with a couple issues first. The cross over pipe had to be worked a little to clear the 8 speed trans pan, the cats that come with the headers are not big enough. We are getting a down stream rich code P2099 from those o2 sensors and a up stream reading cats PO430 not efficient .The check engine light is on of course.The good news is the headers them self fit really well, great quality I have spoke with Nick who I think is the owner of ARH and he is going to send me some new larger cats that they use on there Corvette C7 systems at no cost. He has been great to work with. He said they will start making the change for the crossover pipe for the 19 models. For the Good part, what a amazing gain in power! everywhere this thing runs better. Before I did the headers I run a quarter mile give or take a little and the truck would run 90 to 91 mph everytime, spinning the tires about 20 to 25 feet. Now 93 to 94 mph spinning the tires clear through to 3rd gear! it runs hard for a 7000 pound truck. it is a long bed crew cab 4wheel drive. At this point it is all stock except the headers, no catback for me I like how quite it is. Just a very slight increase at idle but you never hear it in the truck.If tuners ever come out I am down for that, but to sum it up. The power gain is big, is it worth almost 2000.00? only you can decide that. As for MPG not sure yet until we get the new cats on and running the way it should. Maybe the 2018 and older trucks will not have the cat problem? the 19 appears to be different in that area.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a feeling the 8spd was going to cause problems. Hopefully the cats will correct the check engine light. Definitely would love to slap some headers on. Down the road of course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it is like this, if they don't the headers are coming off. It only has 4200 miles on it and feel that there should have been more testing on the system. I am not going to put anymore money into it after the cats are on. I love the HP but not at any cost.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it is like this, if they don't the headers are coming off. It only has 4200 miles on it and feel that there should have been more testing on the system. I am not going to put anymore money into it after the cats are on. I love the HP but not at any cost.
In their defense, their headers are meant for 14- up. Good for 6.4l and 6spd. With the 8spd as you experienced, have different dimensions. The cats I'm a little baffled on. I dont think anything changed from 2018 vs 2019 in regards to emissions. I also could be wrong but I dont think tuning companies have cracked the 19 pcms just yet. I know tuning on previous years was expensive. (That was also prior to tuning)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there are a few guys on the forum with 14-18 trucks with ARH headers, I think they are running the cat less versions though.
So you know there is a big valve in the stock muffler that may hinder your exhaust flow, I went with the mufflex which was just a Magna flow that was a direct drop in bolt up replacement, the sound gain was “Moderate” in that you could only tell it had a muffler when you where on it.

OP
OP

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the comments, I was very up front about the headers going on a 19 and a 8 speed trans, was told that they had sold some already and were fine. I just think they assumed they were the same. I am not trying to beat them down and Nick has been good to work with there. But in aftermarket fashion this stuff happens to often, I know I worked in it for 20 years. The 19's are different on the computer side, as you no there are no tuners out there yet, who knows if we will ever see one. Back to the system, the cats that came on the truck stock are very large, the cats on the ARH system are very small and may work fine on a smaller motor. All the parts are of the best quality and I am sure they will last the life of the truck if I keep them, but I really did not won't to be there test dummy at almost 2000.00. and more now since I will have to pay to have the new cats put on. I do understand about the stock exhaust but I like the stock exhaust and it will stay on. I

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Does the header/different cats install void the powertrain warranty?
I ask because I have a '17 2500 CCLB 4X4 6.4 6-Speed and if it doesn't, I would seriously consider headers.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the header/different cats install void the powertrain warranty?
I ask because I have a '17 2500 CCLB 4X4 6.4 6-Speed and if it doesn't, I would seriously consider headers.
Yes and kinda no. Warranties don't allow modifications beyond the manual. With that being said they have to prove it was the headers that caused it

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it kinda depends on your dealer. Better start bringing in some holiday cookies for the techs.

OP
OP

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ARH says they will take them back, as they should. It would be a very pricey lesson.

OP
OP

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No not yet, if the cats there sending me don't work there coming off. Also when the check engine light is on it will not go into the ECO state and it dose make difference in MPG. I know because I have cleared the codes more them once.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No not yet, if the cats there sending me don't work there coming off. Also when the check engine light is on it will not go into the ECO state and it dose make difference in MPG. I know because I have cleared the codes more them once.
Eco mode is kinda weird. For me atleast, the engine and trans can be fully warmed up but eco mode wont click on. It's kinda weird. I've been trying to figure out the conditions it needs to turn on. It's kinda frustrating.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco mode is kinda weird. For me atleast, the engine and trans can be fully warmed up but eco mode wont click on. It's kinda weird. I've been trying to figure out the conditions it needs to turn on. It's kinda frustrating.

The mph I mostly I travel is 55 and 45. My old truck (2016) used to click over after 2 miles into my drive. This truck its 7.

OP
OP

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This seems to be quick, 2 to 3 miles it's on. I cleared the codes last Sat and drove it 45 miles and got 17.8 miles per gallon before the check engine light came back on. I feel if we get cats that work this time 18 miles per gallon is possible, not bad out of a 7000 truck. 4:10 gears

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've been seeing with my own truck. Its dependent on your transmission. It doesnt like clicking over until your transmission is 97-100. For us northern guys. That could and does take a bit of driving when the weather is cold.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This seems to be quick, 2 to 3 miles it's on. I cleared the codes last Sat and drove it 45 miles and got 17.8 miles per gallon before the check engine light came back on. I feel if we get cats that work this time 18 miles per gallon is possible, not bad out of a 7000 truck. 4:10 gears

is that hand calculated or off the dash?

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally to see the most out of this set up. I'd do intake, headers, free flow exhaust, tube. This will maximize power and efficiency.

Lots of good mufflers out there that will be less restrictive than current and will not be that loud. I knowcmy magnaflow setup really quieted down once worn in. My last truck had a bigger magnaflow on it and it was only slightly louder than these truck stock.