Arrington, Magnuson 6lb kit on 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On Instagram, Arrington posted they were dyno tuning a 6lb kit on a 6.4L truck. they didn't post anything after that. I might call and ask about it.

I will update this with any results.

Just thought some of the 'diesel haters' might like this mod. :crazy:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Roger that SilverSurfer15.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Roughly a $9,000 install and you instantly void your warranty, lifetime one if you bought it like I did. Pretty cool hp gains but not worth it to me in the long run.

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didn't call yesterday, I wanted to see if they would update FB or IG. They didn't. I'm about to call soon on my 'non-smokers smoke break'.

It is way too expensive, I will give you that. All these PD blower kits are stupid now. 9k dollars? I can buy a whole vehicle, a decent one, for 9k dollars. Anyways, back on topic because its cool!

Friday or Monday they say...

Last edited:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was actually wondering about this the other day. Whats compression on a 6.4? I wish ram was like ford in the fact you can get a rough supercharger pushing 600 horses with a 5.0 and keep a warranty.

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On IG, Whipple is also doing there hemi kits. Whipple also has warranty program, I don't know or care about it but they have it. Again, you have to stay with the canned tune which probably sucks.

Warranties are highly overrated IMO, if you bought something that you are worried about breaking, you should probably shouldn't have gotten it. And if you are modding it, its just a no brainer that they wouldn't warranty that. I wish they would sell warranty opt out options on new vehicles, so you coud take a 3-7k dollar discount on them.

F150s... Ford makes nice trucks, but I hate them because of F150 owners. Biggest douche bags in the world. I cant go on that forum for 2 mins without getting pissed off at all the bs. Its worse than LS1Tech in the mid to late 2000s.

Ive seen more than once that Ram was toying around with a 'hellcat' truck. That would be cool :D

I would assume the compression is lower than the SRT motors, and since it was built to handle high loads, I bet you could squeeze out 8-9lbs pretty safe, if you were smart about it.

EDIT: 10:1 comp says allpar, 10.9 on SRT, 9.5 on hellcats

Id be curious to see a whipple 6.4 vs a 120-150 tune cummins, unloaded performance

Last edited:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hah. I was on ls1tech back then. I can't wait to see some results.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If this worked like a Roushe system it might be worth it, doesn't sound like it does though. You're also going to need to build your transmission because the 66RFE is not going to hold 600hp.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If this worked like a Roushe system it might be worth it, doesn't sound like it does though. You're also going to need to build your transmission because the 66RFE is not going to hold 600hp.

It would hold 600hp right up until you mash the accelerator (at the end of the driveway). It would make a really neat smell too as the tranny melts. But at least you'd be close to home.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Called Arrington out of curiosity since they recently released a dyno video. Only made 435hp at the wheels but that was also only 6psi. The motor was apparently stock other than the blower. They did have to delete the factory EGR since it partially sits underneath the stock intake. Not sure what programmer they used to tune but they were able to remove the EGR codes after deleting, which is something Diablosport is unable to do at this time. He did mention they fabricated some brackets, and from the video its obviously they had put together a custom intake.

Unfortunately they do not plan on producing a kit as of now, and apparently this was just a one-off exercise for a customer. It sounded like considerably more work would need to be done before they would be comfortable selling and supporting a finished product. I didn't want to annoy him with too many additional questions so just left it there. Considering the general lack of demand for Ram HD 6.4 parts in general, I doubt we'll ever see anything more.

Ram64Magnacharger_zpsn6uwyohz.jpg

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Id be curious to see a whipple 6.4 vs a 120-150 tune cummins, unloaded performance

That would be interesting.

Although 150 hp tune can be had without deleting any emissions equipment which is level 6 on my Edge JWA. If you delete emissions equipment like Arrington did with the 6.4L then 200 hp can be had. Hardway performance(EFI by Ryan) is getting 531 hp/1242 lb-ft at the wheels with a delete and stuck turbo and internals. How well the stock drive line will hold up to that much power is another thing. Then again, I would imagine that you would have to upgrade the 66RFE behind the 6.4L as you add power as well.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't necessarily think the 66RFE wouldn't handle the power of a typical supercharger kit, especially at 6psi. Since the lower gearsets and clutches are straight out of the 68RFE I would hope they could easily handle the additional power/torque. 4-6 gears in the 66RFE could be a problem but you really shouldn't have a sane reason to be in those gears under heavy load anyway.

No idea what a Cummins truck runs with just a 150hp tune. But with any additional amount of effort I suspect the diesel isn't going to be beat. Still, considering the Arrington truck had a stock exhaust, there is a lot of room for improvement in the dyno numbers posted. Along with a better TC, it should easily be a mid 13 sec truck. But I wouldn't run a Cummins for pinkslips:)

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hardway performance(EFI by Ryan) is getting 531 hp/1242 lb-ft at the wheels with a delete and stuck turbo and internals

If they made that amount of power with a stuck turbo, I can only imagine what it would do with a working unit. :D

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for updating this, I had semi forgot about it because it took so long. The numbers were disappointing, but its easy to see performance was not there main goal here. I mean setting up a gas 3/4 ton for performance/racing is obviously not the best platform, but I imagine that one of these trucks could see some decent power with a more aggressive set up. Honestly for 6psi, that's a huge waste of time and money.

The numbers I saw on the stock turbo Cummins mentioned above, were 100 less on both. 430/1100 but I may not be up to date. Either way, its impressive.

I was just thinking it would be cool, and interesting, to see what adding 150hp does to each platform. Seeing as they are about the same speed stock, it would be interesting to see how they compare from a straight unloaded acceleration contest.

I'm curious to see if whipple and procharger produce anything. Whipple diddnt sound too confient, but procharger said its so similar to their existing kits it wouldn't require much change and that they have actually had some interest in it. Could be cool.

It would be cool to see a similar power potential for the gas trucks, for those who don't want a diesel for whatever reason. Because realistically, a lift pump, deletes, exhaust, tuner, intake, sump kit, head studs, etc for the diesel adds up quick $$. If you could slap a blower and headers on the gas truck and make 500, it would be cool to see. Like a 500whp power wagon on 35s :D

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I was just thinking it would be cool, and interesting, to see what adding 150hp does to each platform. Seeing as they are about the same speed stock, it would be interesting to see how they compare from a straight unloaded acceleration contest.

If acceleration is what you are looking for then it would be more torque that you would be after. Although you will add more horsepower at a given rpm by adding torque since horsepower is measured from torque. Also the wider power band of the 6.4L is also be a factor to.

It would be cool to see a similar power potential for the gas trucks, for those who don't want a diesel for whatever reason. Because realistically, a lift pump, deletes, exhaust, tuner, intake, sump kit, head studs, etc for the diesel adds up quick $$.

You don't need to replace all that to add 150 hp at the wheels with a diesel. Once you get into the 550 hp and up range then yes you will need to start beefing up the internals, but just a tune, intake, and delete is all that is needed to get to 500 hp at the wheels which is around $2,500. Although I would recommend beefing up the drive line with that much power. If you wanted to keep your emissions equipment then about 450 hp can be had easily which would cost you about $1,200 or less depending.

Also, while the 6.4L can probably easily match or even exceed a tuned Cummins in hp, it would take a lot of money to match it in torque.

Last edited:

whitelightning64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Okay guys. I know this is a old thread but I have great news. I bought the truck in question Saturday morning. 12-22-18. It was originally bought in Kernersville nc and used to pull a guys horse trailer with sleeping quarters. It is the only arrington / Magnuson supercharged truck out there. 2 1/2 months ago the original owner traded it back in to the dealer for a 4 door larime. The dealership had no idea what they had sitting on their used lot. I watched it online for 2 months and let them drop the price down. I got it at a good deal because its a single cab 2 wheel drive truck. Yes it does make 435 HP to the wheels. Yes it will do rolling burnouts. Yes it is fun. So now my daily c5 corvette is for sale and I have a useful daily again. Oh, and its still in NC and no rust. Just some dents from the previous owner backing it into the goose neck trailer.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congrats! Please post some pictures/videos. FYI, Petty Garage is now also selling Ram trucks with a Magnuson kit. They even offer HD trucks with a blower on the 6.4 although they cheat a bit and delete the EGR setup to make the kit work.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No pictures means he don’t really have the truck.
Truth to all

Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Off Road.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Last edited: