ATS Diesel built 545 RFE transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone have a built ATS 545 RFE trans in their hemi powered ram?

I did a lot of reading and they seem to make a decent product, definitely addresses a lot of concerns.

I tried to get a hold of Mike from L&M Customs for trans build but my attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful for the last 4 months or so.

I haven't found a lot of people that specialize in them, lots of people building the 68 RFEs but not the 545 RFEs.

Looks like given my temperature issues my 545 RFE is smoked, just a matter of time before it lets loose so I am going to get a built trans.

Any input?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What s your tempature issue? what symptoms are you having?

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What s your tempature issue? what symptoms are you having?

Unfortunately I've seen 270+ degrees. The radiator/ trans cooler is brand new, I'm getting temps on the cooler lines that indicate there's no cooler issues, my coolant temp is pretty much never even over 200 degrees.
After the 270+ incident I was surprised that the fluid wasn't discolored or smelled "burnt". I did drain the large sump pan and put new fluid in. I know this wasn't a 100% change but I had done a 100% 10k miles before when I changed both filters and added a deeper sump pan. If I had known this was gonna happen I would've put a new VB in it at that time.

When the temps hit 270 was coming back from a 3 hour trip, but I wasn't towing anything and it wasn't crazy hot either, maybe 90* and humid. This was 8 months ago.

A few weeks ago I took my sister an hour away to get a trim panel for her kitchen. I didn't even look at the temp since it wasn't that far, but I looked at it when we got there and it was up to 240* already. I was traveling 80mph+ for maybe a half an hour.

A trans that has seen 270*+ is done, I'm just trying to figure out the best reliable solution. If I'm gonna drop a few $k on a trans I just want it to last. It's not pushing crazy power, I just want to be able to tow reliably. I'll most likely add an aftermarket cooler after the new trans is in.

Mods are:
Stainless Works long tubes with full 3" true dual and X pipe
Vararam intake
ported TB
catch can
Efan
180* Tstat
Diablo tuner

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it were me, the first thing I'd do it a valve body upgrade, because even if you do rebuild the new valve body will carry over to the new transmision. Best part, no need to drop tranny, and this could be the issue. One of the weakest parts is the stock VB plate known to leak. Have you done any line pressure testing? Change VB plate and do a trans tune along with a GM soloniod upgrade, I think a pressure valve is need as well, if you chose this let me know I will look it up. Do a little research on it. They have two options on plate, get a **** plate like $500 or so pure thick metal end the issue for good, or get a gasket for $150 or so better known as a shift kit.

I'd change the fluid to redline c+ or another ester based option as in no brainer, pao/esters will handle heat better then at4. Nick gotexhaust cheapest price around. We are doing a metal thread upgrade and using synthetic filters as well, have you seen that thread?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
man, what an awesome video. everyone with an rfe should watch that.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it were me, the first thing I'd do it a valve body upgrade, because even if you do rebuild the new valve body will carry over to the new transmision. Best part, no need to drop tranny, and this could be the issue. One of the weakest parts is the stock VB plate known to leak. Have you done any line pressure testing? Change VB plate and do a trans tune along with a GM soloniod upgrade, I think a pressure valve is need as well, if you chose this let me know I will look it up. Do a little research on it. They have two options on plate, get a **** plate like $500 or so pure thick metal end the issue for good, or get a gasket for $150 or so better known as a shift kit.

I'd change the fluid to redline c+ or another ester based option as in no brainer, pao/esters will handle heat better then at4. Nick gotexhaust cheapest price around. We are doing a metal thread upgrade and using synthetic filters as well, have you seen that thread?

I basically figured I'd go 1 of 2 ways.

1. Upgrade VB and change filters and all and see what happens. This was what I was gonna do last year after the 270* event. Mike at L&M Customs was great to, he would even sell me the VB and then if it still needed a rebuild he would use the VB I bought from him. Well, for the last 4-5 months I've been emailing and calling him with no response.

2. Upgrade the whole trans. I'm pretty much gonna go this route. I've had to many 240*-250* temps and even that 270*. The 270*+ episode really means I need to ditch the trans.

Or, trade my truck + $25k or so to get a 12-17 diesel and then upgrade the VB in that. Lol.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
man, what an awesome video. everyone with an rfe should watch that.

I found both videos to be very informative.

With the sloppy and warped VBs, there's a lot of cause for concern, especially after seeing high temps.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hadn't found a lot of bad reviews about ATS, until after I ordered one earlier today.
Most of the bad reviews seem like they're a few years ago, and judging from the video and my knowledge I'd say they have what seems to be a decent rebuild plan addressing a lot of the weak points.

The video was made last year so, I guess hopefully they got everything well sorted.

I probably should've started this thread a week ago.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd drive it til it dies, redline c+ might buy you some time. The oil doesn't break down under high heat the same as mineral oil. sounds ike you have a good handle on it.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd drive it til it dies, redline c+ might buy you some time. The oil doesn't break down under high heat the same as mineral oil. sounds ike you have a good handle on it.

I try to but it would be nice to hear from someone who has one.

I have to pull a trailer in early July for 5 hours......I'm not gonna get stuck so that's why I ordered it now. I've been wanting to do it for 4-5 moths but I can't get a hold of L&M.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately I've seen 270+ degrees. The radiator/ trans cooler is brand new, I'm getting temps on the cooler lines that indicate there's no cooler issues, my coolant temp is pretty much never even over 200 degrees.
After the 270+ incident I was surprised that the fluid wasn't discolored or smelled "burnt". I did drain the large sump pan and put new fluid in. I know this wasn't a 100% change but I had done a 100% 10k miles before when I changed both filters and added a deeper sump pan. If I had known this was gonna happen I would've put a new VB in it at that time.

When the temps hit 270 was coming back from a 3 hour trip, but I wasn't towing anything and it wasn't crazy hot either, maybe 90* and humid. This was 8 months ago.

A few weeks ago I took my sister an hour away to get a trim panel for her kitchen. I didn't even look at the temp since it wasn't that far, but I looked at it when we got there and it was up to 240* already. I was traveling 80mph+ for maybe a half an hour.

A trans that has seen 270*+ is done, I'm just trying to figure out the best reliable solution. If I'm gonna drop a few $k on a trans I just want it to last. It's not pushing crazy power, I just want to be able to tow reliably. I'll most likely add an aftermarket cooler after the new trans is in.

Mods are:
Stainless Works long tubes with full 3" true dual and X pipe
Vararam intake
ported TB
catch can
Efan
180* Tstat
Diablo tuner

Have you checked for the thermal bypass valve on the trans cooler line? 270 is way hotter than I’ve seen any RFE trans get. I noticed you have the Vararam AG, I had one at one point but I noticed my trans temps went up to 160 during normal driving and it’s because that lower air dam blocks 90% of the trans cooler. Maybe try removing that air dam and see if it helps with trans temps. This was one of the main reasons I sold the Air Grabber.

For comparison, my 65RFE hovers around 150 when towing my 4000lb camper in the summer. The highest I’ve ever seen my trans get was 175 and that was towing my camper up the Ike gauntlet and it came back down to 150 pretty quickly after. All that was while I was running a S&B intake so the trans cooler got full airflow...

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you checked for the thermal bypass valve on the trans cooler line? 270 is way hotter than I’ve seen any RFE trans get. I noticed you have the Vararam AG, I had one at one point but I noticed my trans temps went up to 160 during normal driving and it’s because that lower air dam blocks 90% of the trans cooler. Maybe try removing that air dam and see if it helps with trans temps. This was one of the main reasons I sold the Air Grabber.

For comparison, my 65RFE hovers around 150 when towing my 4000lb camper in the summer. The highest I’ve ever seen my trans get was 175 and that was towing my camper up the Ike gauntlet and it came back down to 150 pretty quickly after. All that was while I was running a S&B intake so the trans cooler got full airflow...

No, I have not. But using a temp gun it appears as though the lines and cooler have flow and cooler is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How can you say for sure cooler is getting flow?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most of the negative info I have heard about ATS is also dated. I hope your correct in your assumption that they have turned things around. It's a shame you couldn't get ahold of Mike. He has a really good reputation from what I have read and heard. I'm not sure that Paramount has any parts or rebuilt trans that would work for you, but they might have been worth a call. Good luck with your ATS I hope that it works out for you.
Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How can you say for sure cooler is getting flow?

Because I’m seeing a 10* or so drop from line to line. This the fluid is flowing and dropping temperature through the cooler.

I mean, there could be a restriction but the radiator/ cooler and lines were replaced 18 months ago.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Because I’m seeing a 10* or so drop from line to line. This the fluid is flowing and dropping temperature through the cooler.

I mean, there could be a restriction but the radiator/ cooler and lines were replaced 18 months ago.

If your truck is an 09 it shouldn't have the transmission thermal bypass valve.They didn't start installing the bypass till the 13's ,when they implemented thermal management.Look through the passenger side of your grill for an aluminium block a couple inches square that has lines going to it,if you have no block,you have no thermal bypass valve.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most of the negative info I have heard about ATS is also dated. I hope your correct in your assumption that they have turned things around. It's a shame you couldn't get ahold of Mike. He has a really good reputation from what I have read and heard. I'm not sure that Paramount has any parts or rebuilt trans that would work for you, but they might have been worth a call. Good luck with your ATS I hope that it works out for you.
Jay

I read that huge thread about ATS on another site, I can’t remember the name, and it appears as though late last year they were able to get everything sorted. I guess I will see. If there’s any problems I’ll be going right back, I’m buying a whole package, converter and all so there’s no excuses.

Yeah, it was very strange with L&M. I spoke to him a year ago and he was great. I kept dragging my feet about doing anything, but now I’ll need to use it to tow and I know that isn’t going to work on its current state. I tried to get a hold of Mike for the last 4-5 months, he was my first choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963