Audible tick at low speed idle cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swear I think my torque converter is making some kind of ticking noise! I can hear it very plainly when first started, Shift out of park or neutral into any drive gear or reverse and it is a very distinct sound

Following to see why they say!

Another member says its phasers rattling. we will find out dropping mine off for other issues and im going to mention that

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
yes, it goes away when i switch it off. best answer yet. thank you!!!!! shes going back in because of the lifters are knocking loud and random misfires. i will mention that.

We had a hell of a time figuring it out the first time we saw it at my shop, but since then we’ve seen it probably 4 or 5 other times and it’s always the same symptoms. It’s a 09-12 with rattling/ticking noise at low speeds, sounds like it’s coming from underneath the truck, really hear it with the window open, and only happens during mds at those low speeds.

Hopefully they figure it out.

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had a hell of a time figuring it out the first time we saw it at my shop, but since then we’ve seen it probably 4 or 5 other times and it’s always the same symptoms. It’s a 09-12 with rattling/ticking noise at low speeds, sounds like it’s coming from underneath the truck, really hear it with the window open, and only happens during mds at those low speeds.

Hopefully they figure it out.

Just got the call. Cams are worn out. I bought extended warranty and because the cost is so high they are sending a inspector. He is supposed to show in the next 24 hrs. Hopefully he doesn't break my balls about the KandN cold air kit. Now I'm wishing I had not tossed out the stock air box.

Last edited:

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
update! shes being rebuild, cams, lifter and everything in between. warranty covered everything. apparently cams have been an issue in the Hemi. hopefully have it back by friday. two weeks no sucks. hopefully no tick.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck makes noise as described by Tach_tech not very loud at all. I can only hear it if all else is quiet in the truck. Is this just normal operation or cause for concern? I only noticed very recently and it seems to have gotten a bit louder already. Is It worth getting a tuner just to disable MDS?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My truck makes noise as described by Tach_tech not very loud at all. I can only hear it if all else is quiet in the truck. Is this just normal operation or cause for concern? I only noticed very recently and it seems to have gotten a bit louder already. Is It worth getting a tuner just to disable MDS?

Does it do it at idle, cold or warm?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly haven’t heard it much because I’m normally rocking out but when I have my family with me and they shut up for a second I can hear it. I have already fixed the exhaust manifold bolts and doesn’t sound like lifters. It’s pretty subtle, maybe completely normal. Only in eco mode with slight throttle.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never heard it at idle. Does truck use MDS at idle? My truck did die at a stop sign recently. Did not stumble or throw code. Just shut off but restarted fine. I started disabling mds more after that.

theamazingkuskus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 5.7 with 114 000 kms and am noticing the same sound. Decelerating under 50km/h with my foot off the gas I notice it and it goes away if I press on the gas, brake or hit the manual shift down. Engine runs perfectly and no misfires or anything. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. I have a Superchips tuner on order and will be disabling mds and probably running the 87 octane tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I turned down my radio and turned off tow/haul and the noise is definitely getting louder. Mds is definitely the on/off switch so finally convinced mds is bad (I will admit that I did not feel this way a month ago). I think I am now just deciding between 2 of the Diablo sport tuners. Probably fine with the cheapest one as I am perfectly happy stock performance and normally run 87 octane.