Audio upgrade Infinity Reference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I got a speaker upgrade for Christmas from the wife, Infinity REF-9632ix for the doors and REF-3032cfx for the dash.

IMG_6034.jpg

Dash speakers require the most work, since mopar decided that some 8ohm midrange speakers were best to get lost up in the dash it's not a simple swap out if your looking for a balanced system. Yes you can put 4 ohm speakers up there without modifying them but they are gonna overpower your door speakers and your gonna have your equalizer all over the place to compensate or your just gonna be listening to your dash speakers.

So I went with the easy fix,
First needed was the Metra 72-7902 harness which allows you to plug right into the factory plug and gives you some room to add a 4ohm resistor inline. I found some on amazon because radio shack is no longer around. No modifying the mounts are needed and I added some foam to keep any rattles down, but no need since the dash has a cutout that keeps you from sealing up the speaker.

IMG_6026.jpg

For the front doors the tiny little 6x9's from the factory fit great but your average 6x9 is just a little proud for the factory space. Good rule of thumb is 3" or more depth and your gonna have problems. Now here's the good part a 1/4" spacer and your good.

Luckily for me I already knew the Infinty's came with a spacer for bottom mounting them, a little extra foam tape to help seal the spacer and speaker to the door panel and I repurposed them to get that little extra room to clear the window brakect.

Again I used a Metra harness this time it was a 72-6514, it's not needed as much on the door speaker but I like the fact I can plug it in and not butcher up the factory wires.

IMG_5900.jpg IMG_5908.jpg

Last but not least the rear door speakers require nothing other than the 72-6514 harness. They just drop right in with no lube.

I used the screws that came with the speakers for install as the fronts needed longer ones and the head on the factory ones was right up against the rubber on the rear speakers. Since the speakers mount into the plastic door liner they just screwed right through. With a little persuasion.

IMG_5906.jpg

New audio sounds great doesn't quite compare to a amped system, however after having amps in my previous vehicles I said I wasn't doing that again. And since your working with 6x9's in the door it still gets plenty loud without the amp.

Probably the easiest speaker swap to do as the panels are easy to get off and put back on.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So I got a speaker upgrade for Christmas from the wife, Infinity REF-9632ix for the doors and REF-3032cfx for the dash.

View attachment 150857

Dash speakers require the most work, since mopar decided that some 8ohm midrange speakers were best to get lost up in the dash it's not a simple swap out if your looking for a balanced system. Yes you can put 4 ohm speakers up there without modifying them but they are gonna overpower your door speakers and your gonna have your equalizer all over the place to compensate or your just gonna be listening to your dash speakers.

First needed was the Metra 72-7902 harness which allows you to plug right into the factory plug and gives you some room to add a 4ohm resistor inline. I found some on amazon because radio shack is no longer around. No modifying the mounts are needed and I added some foam to keep any rattles down, but no need since the dash has a cutout that keeps you from sealing up the speaker.

View attachment 150858

For the front doors the tiny little 6x9's from the factory fit great but your average 6x9 is just a little proud for the factory space. Good rule of thumb is 3" or more depth and your gonna have problems. Now here's the good part a 1/4" spacer and your good.

Luckily for me I already knew the Infinty's came with a spacer for bottom mounting them, a little extra foam tape to help seal the spacer and speaker to the door panel and I repurposed them to get that little extra room to clear the window brakect.

Again I used a Metra harness this time it was a 72-6514, it's not needed as much on the door speaker but I like the fact I can plug it in and not butcher up the factory wires.

View attachment 150855 View attachment 150856

Last but not least the rear door speakers require nothing other than the 72-6514 harness. They just drop right in with no lube.

I used the screws that came with the speakers for install as the fronts needed longer ones and the head on the factory ones was right up against the rubber on the rear speakers. Since the speakers mount into the plastic door liner they just screwed right through. With a little persuasion.

View attachment 150854

New audio sounds great doesn't quite compare to a amped system, however after having amps in my previous vehicles I said I wasn't doing that again. And since your working with 6x9's in the door it still gets plenty loud without the amp.

Probably the easiest speaker swap to do as the panels are easy to get off and put back on.
You just took the unknown fear out of doing this upgrade for one old man! Well, more beat up than old, but, I really thought I would live with what came in the truck until I read this post.

Excellent summary with a complete parts list too. That, coupled with the complete set of steel and nylon pry-bars I finally bought to properly remove those nasty panel buttons, have inspired me to rip apart one more interior before I croak.

Thank you!

Ed

PS: Any additional tips on doing the dash speakers?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
PSS: Would you know off hand if the p/n's you used would work on my '17 Tradesman CC, LB, 6.4, 4X4?

Thanks again.
Ed

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ The speaker wiring harnesses should be the same. If in doubt, double-check on MetraOnline.com. I bought mine on walmart.com -- as they were very cheap -- shipped free to local store.

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the same speakers into my '13 Crew cab, except with the little bit of extra depth the rear doors have, I put 3 way speakers in there. Either way the Reference's are a great upgrade over stock

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you think the reference are good, you shoukd hear their kappa. I sm highky impressed after installing infinity kappa perfect 300M 3.5" midranges in my dash. Amplified of course.

OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
PS: Any additional tips on doing the dash speakers?

Yeah be ready to clean all the smudge marks off the glass, it's a tight fit but the speaker grill pops off and it's only two hex head screws to pull them out. Try not to drop those either.

And yep the harness should be the same, you can always use crutch field to verify also

OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you think the reference are good, you shoukd hear their kappa. I sm highky impressed after installing infinity kappa perfect 300M 3.5" midranges in my dash. Amplified of course.

I ran kappa's in my old trucks however knowing I wasn't going to amp these speakers, it wasn't worth getting the kappa's as un amped there's not much of a difference

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Yeah be ready to clean all the smudge marks off the glass, it's a tight fit but the speaker grill pops off and it's only two hex head screws to pull them out. Try not to drop those either.

And yep the harness should be the same, you can always use crutch field to verify also

and be ready for cramped fingers. Damn that's a tight spot to work in. The wire harness may also drop into the hole, so have small hands ready to reach in there if you drop it.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Nice write up.

I see you have a 2018. Hate to break it to you but if you are running the 8.4 system with application software version 21.9 you're not going to get the full benefit of having the new and much better speakers. I found out the hard way. After installing Polk 3.5" in the dash with 4 ohm resistors, Pioneer 6X9 in the front doors, and a powered subwoofer, Uconnect ruined the stereo with their software update of September 4th.

You can read about it here, if you haven't already.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/uconnect-software-update-received-whats-in-it.126015/

OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
and be ready for cramped fingers. Damn that's a tight spot to work in. The wire harness may also drop into the hole, so have small hands ready to reach in there if you drop it.

There's slot you can you hold the wires in so they don't fall but yes it wouldn't be fun trying to get them back up

IMG_5917.jpg

Nice write up.

I see you have a 2018. Hate to break it to you but if you are running the 8.4 system with application software version 21.9 you're not going to get the full benefit of having the new and much better speakers. I found out the hard way. After installing Polk 3.5" in the dash with 4 ohm resistors, Pioneer 6X9 in the front doors, and a powered subwoofer, Uconnect ruined the stereo with their software update of September 4th.

You can read about it here, if you haven't already.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/uconnect-software-update-received-whats-in-it.126015/

Luckily for me I added the 8.4 to my truck from a 2014 jeep so that not a problem as it's running an older update, but good info for others looking to upgrade

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I wish I had known. My fat hand almost didn't come back up while holding the wires.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it really is an easy upgrade and makes everything sound so much better. I did the JBL GX302 in dash and the Infinity Reference REF-9633ix in the doors. The wiring harness adapters (Metra 72-6514 and 72-7902) make everything a breeze. Just a note, depending on your headunit and EQ settings, the resisters may not be needed. I push the balance slightly to the rear and can hear very balanced sound in all seats.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ran them for a couple days without the resistors because I wanted to see if it would help with bluetooth phone calls. I could quiet them down some by fading to the rear but that also took the power out of the front door speakers. Plus going any higher than about 22 of volume and the dashes were maxed out and the doors had so much more to go.

Soregra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Redheadhunter21... same speaker upgrade I intend to do very soon on my ‘14 QC. I know nearly nada about car audio.... could u give me a link to the 4ohm resistor you used in the dash? Are all resistors created equal or is there specific things I’m looking for... thanks.

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

View attachment 150857

View attachment 150858

View attachment 150855 View attachment 150856

View attachment 150854

I will say this just as a word of caution, I was changing all the door and dash speakers.
I got to the rear doors and was putting the panel back on the rear door and it slipped out of my hand and broke a little piece of plastic for door handle on black panel behind door panel. Cost $479 for that black piece because you have to buy the entire panel because it’s one piece.
So be careful !!!

OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

atest4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just want to ensure I was reading this correctly, you installed the same infinity 6x9 in both the front and rear doors and only needed a 1/4 inch spacer to fit in the front doors.

thanks

The Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Would a 1/2 inch spacer have worked? I read that somewhere and ordered a 1/2 inch spacer from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQOX080/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1