Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio upgrade Infinity Reference

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Redheadhunter21, Jan 2, 2019.

1. PowrRam

PowrRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Big Horn
    Engine:
    3.6L V6
    Nice write up.

I see you have a 2018. Hate to break it to you but if you are running the 8.4 system with application software version 21.9 you're not going to get the full benefit of having the new and much better speakers. I found out the hard way. After installing Polk 3.5" in the dash with 4 ohm resistors, Pioneer 6X9 in the front doors, and a powered subwoofer, Uconnect ruined the stereo with their software update of September 4th.

You can read about it here, if you haven't already.
    https://www.ramforum.com/threads/uconnect-software-update-received-whats-in-it.126015/

2. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    There's slot you can you hold the wires in so they don't fall but yes it wouldn't be fun trying to get them back up

IMG_5917.jpg

Luckily for me I added the 8.4 to my truck from a 2014 jeep so that not a problem as it's running an older update, but good info for others looking to upgrade

3. shadowhawk

shadowhawk Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Sport- born 05/2016
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    I wish I had known. My fat hand almost didn't come back up while holding the wires.

Outbreak likes this.
  4. osprey92

osprey92 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yes, it really is an easy upgrade and makes everything sound so much better. I did the JBL GX302 in dash and the Infinity Reference REF-9633ix in the doors. The wiring harness adapters (Metra 72-6514 and 72-7902) make everything a breeze. Just a note, depending on your headunit and EQ settings, the resisters may not be needed. I push the balance slightly to the rear and can hear very balanced sound in all seats.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. Redheadhunter21

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    I ran them for a couple days without the resistors because I wanted to see if it would help with bluetooth phone calls. I could quiet them down some by fading to the rear but that also took the power out of the front door speakers. Plus going any higher than about 22 of volume and the dashes were maxed out and the doors had so much more to go.

6. Soregra

Soregra Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Redheadhunter21... same speaker upgrade I intend to do very soon on my ‘14 QC. I know nearly nada about car audio.... could u give me a link to the 4ohm resistor you used in the dash? Are all resistors created equal or is there specific things I’m looking for... thanks.

7. Rbohno

Rbohno Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 2500 CTD Limited
    Engine:
    Cummins

I will say this just as a word of caution, I was changing all the door and dash speakers.
    I got to the rear doors and was putting the panel back on the rear door and it slipped out of my hand and broke a little piece of plastic for door handle on black panel behind door panel. Cost $479 for that black piece because you have to buy the entire panel because it’s one piece.
    So be careful !!!

cnitty likes this.
  8. Redheadhunter21

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWQPWCM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's the link to the ones I used, you can find them cheaper just match the specs.

Soregra likes this.
  9. atest4u

atest4u Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Just want to ensure I was reading this correctly, you installed the same infinity 6x9 in both the front and rear doors and only needed a 1/4 inch spacer to fit in the front doors.

thanks

The Gibson likes this.
  10. The Gibson

The Gibson Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    Would a 1/2 inch spacer have worked? I read that somewhere and ordered a 1/2 inch spacer from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQOX080/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1