Audio Upgrade & Modification Basics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeaRefractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This forum is like other Ram and FCA forums in that there is a lot more information about upgrade options with "newer" OEM equipment than with traditional aftermarket equipment or "android-based" equipment. That's not a criticism its just an observation from a new late model Ram owner trying to decide what he wants to do.

Some of the "mysteries" I'm trying to sort out include...

For traditional aftermarket solutions (JVC, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, etc)
- what exactly is required for complete SWC retention, and which adapter solution is best (PAC, Axxess, Crum, iDataLink, etc.?)
- if I want a 9+ display unit, can I buy a unit with a single din chassis and not have to take a saw to the frame inside the bezel and replace the bezel?
For android-based solutions (Daisaita, Joying, etc)
- have we gotten to the point where the higher end units with DSP, etc. where the higher resolution and Android 10 features plus lower cost is a good decision?
- the idea of returns to China is frightening...will the market be "stuck" with $500 versus $200, $700 versus $350 and $1000 versus $500 forever?
- you would think that someone would enter the market offering local android-based solutions (cost, features, warranty).

The youtube videos on this topic are usually either an installer rationalizing why traditional is the better option or android fanboys promising that the features and cost of the android-based solution justify the risk of buying from Yangtzee Province. Nobody is really addressing the "gap" between these two solutions.

Part of the reason you don't see a lot of the aftermarket in this thread is that the details of what you need are answered by Crutchfield. I've used them on three different car/truck installations. Just did a Kenwood DDX9707S in my 2016 RAM 1500. Best part, even if you don't purchase from them, you can see what is required for the radio. Just walk through "find what fits my vehicle" and answer as much as you can. Next select filter on the features you are looking for. If you want the factory vehicle settings make sure to select "idatalink port" under "General Features" as a feature you need. Then select the radio that meets your price range. Now click on the "modified fit in your ram" to see the selections, there will be the full kit of parts that includes the steering wheel controls and features and the cheaper option just to get it installed. Clicking on each part will provide you the details.

However, in all of my searching, I find that Crutchfield does a great job on price (steep discount on the extra parts you need) and I've had great warranty support. One radio I returned as it just didn't meet my wife's needs and I just paid the difference for the model that did. I sent the other back as RMA once the new one was installed. Totally no hassle.

Again, the details will help you determine the parts for local BestBuy or other audio retailer of your choice.

Crutchfield also provides a guide on the installation process and clear details on the wiring harness crimps to perform.

Nerveex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those of you who put aftermarket screens in do you regret it? I want apple car play but I don’t know if i should just go with a factory one or just swap the headunit with an aftermarket one

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Looking at all different options for upgrading radio for my 2018 3500 Tradesman with the 5 inch screen. Either gonna go with stock upgrade or the stinger offroad 10 inch screen. If I end up going with the stinger offroad system can I still do the 4 to 7 speed upgrade for the HVAC? Might be better to have more speeds for the HVAC. Looks like you just need the power module and add the heater one with the harness. Would this still work even though you don't put in the stock radio upgrade?

Driverbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx speakers for the corners and 2 sets of the Kicker 43DSC69304 speakers... now I need someone to install it all. LOL - Seems like I never have any time.... Project on hold...

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
I have a 2014 Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel 4X4. Got it new with every option available.
It came with the RA4 8AN 5.1 surround sound Alpine and subwoofer with 600 watt amp under the back seat.
It was the only model they had they came with on the fly voice navigation feature. Which works OK once you figure out how to tell it an address. But I'm not OK with it going off course, or not working if your moving while the directions are loading.
I've gone from being mildly perturbed with Uconnect to loathe.
That Ram sold out to Yelp is indefensible, they sold out their customers in the process.
I often have the music on full volume and eight years later they are only now starting to show wear.
Replacing the speakers is straightforward, but replacing the head unit is not.
Aside from the built in GPS is as unreliable as any P.O.S. I've ever had, I really want to have the Apple Carplay feature.
I've looked at the Crutchfield site and everything they had indicated it would lose the Uconnect interconnectivity.
I enjoy that feature as well and don't want to see it go.
Has anyone here tried one of those Carplay dongles?
When I purchased the truck I assumed the giants would come up with a Canbus alternative to the OEM, but I haven't found it yet.
Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

seokladuckin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I have the exact truck and exact issues! So frustrated with the Uconnect mess and the unreliable GPS. I have been trying to figure out a way to regroup with this too. I tried the Uconnect upgrade 4G crap and it is exactly that! A waste of my time and glad I am returning it before the 14 days that begins THE DAY YOU SUBSCRIBE not the day you receive it.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Audio install novice here…. So I had help installing two powered slim subs in my 1500 and now have my 2500. I’ve already moved the speakers over but the SL powered subs are still in the garage & I’d rather put them in the 2500.
Question - Since the SL powered sub draws 12Amp & I’m putting two in, do I need to power them via the 40A, 25A or 15A ignition auxiliary switch?

I’m not looking for big thump, just more music clarity by adding the subs. I’ll be mounting them in the back.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
I have a 2014 Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel 4X4. Got it new with every option available.
It came with the RA4 8AN 5.1 surround sound Alpine and subwoofer with 600 watt amp under the back seat.
It was the only model they had they came with on the fly voice navigation feature. Which works OK once you figure out how to tell it an address. But I'm not OK with it going off course, or not working if your moving while the directions are loading.
I've gone from being mildly perturbed with Uconnect to loathe.
That Ram sold out to Yelp is indefensible, they sold out their customers in the process.
I often have the music on full volume and eight years later they are only now starting to show wear.
Replacing the speakers is straightforward, but replacing the head unit is not.
Aside from the built in GPS is as unreliable as any P.O.S. I've ever had, I really want to have the Apple Carplay feature.
I've looked at the Crutchfield site and everything they had indicated it would lose the Uconnect interconnectivity.
I enjoy that feature as well and don't want to see it go.
Has anyone here tried one of those Carplay dongles?
When I purchased the truck I assumed the giants would come up with a Canbus alternative to the OEM, but I haven't found it yet.
Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

A few options I've found that let you keep the stock head unit are

Vline by grom audio (loose touch screen capability and use tune knob for everything)

Customtronix has a jailbreak system that let's you screen cast your phone, not technically CarPlay

Tazor has a similar feature but it seems not as good as customtronix.

I'm sort of waiting to see if grom audio will get their **** together and fix their unit.

Finding aftermarket options for the auto hvac system seems limited to replace the headunit and not look so aftermarket

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx speakers for the corners and 2 sets of the Kicker 43DSC69304 speakers... now I need someone to install it all. LOL - Seems like I never have any time.... Project on hold...
If you really want to simplify your installation, make sure you get the Metra adapters from Crutchfield or Amazon - they plug directly into the factory harness, and keep you from having to cut into it at all - which helps keep your ride factory if you decide to sell it later - and allow you to connect the blade connectors from the speaker in without having to cut/strip any wiring - and they're correctly matched so you can only stick the male NEG (-) blade into the NEG (-) female blade connector, and POS (+) into POS (+). Also, your Infinity Reference REF-3030cfx speaker should have come with a capacitor (look on the bottom of the foam packaging inside the box) - for THAT, you WILL need to cut POS (+) wire on the Metra Adapter or the POS (+) wire on the factory wire, and then connect it to the POS(+) wire of the speaker using either a crimp type or POSI-LINE connectors (I get mine at CustomDynamics - yes, it's mainly a motorcycle site, but their wiring connectors are the best: do a search for "posi" and all the varieties will come up) and cover the exposed leads with either heat shrink tubing or electrical tape - It looks ugly but it all gets tucked away out of view anyway. Just make sure you do your connections tight and tape up the exposed leads. Using the Metra or supplied adapters, the corners only take about 20-30 minutes each (depending on your ability to wire in the stupid capacitor), and the doors will take about the same amount of time (getting the door panel off is the bigger issue) - so plan 2 hours, plus another 30 minutes of "crap, where'd my 10mm or 7mm socket go!?"

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you really want to simplify your installation, make sure you get the Metra adapters from Crutchfield or Amazon - they plug directly into the factory harness, and keep you from having to cut into it at all - which helps keep your ride factory if you decide to sell it later - and allow you to connect the blade connectors from the speaker in without having to cut/strip any wiring - and they're correctly matched so you can only stick the male NEG (-) blade into the NEG (-) female blade connector, and POS (+) into POS (+). Also, your Infinity Reference REF-3030cfx speaker should have come with a capacitor (look on the bottom of the foam packaging inside the box) - for THAT, you WILL need to cut POS (+) wire on the Metra Adapter or the POS (+) wire on the factory wire, and then connect it to the POS(+) wire of the speaker using either a crimp type or POSI-LINE connectors (I get mine at CustomDynamics - yes, it's mainly a motorcycle site, but their wiring connectors are the best: do a search for "posi" and all the varieties will come up) and cover the exposed leads with either heat shrink tubing or electrical tape - It looks ugly but it all gets tucked away out of view anyway. Just make sure you do your connections tight and tape up the exposed leads. Using the Metra or supplied adapters, the corners only take about 20-30 minutes each (depending on your ability to wire in the stupid capacitor), and the doors will take about the same amount of time (getting the door panel off is the bigger issue) - so plan 2 hours, plus another 30 minutes of "crap, where'd my 10mm or 7mm socket go!?"
Excellent post especially the advice about the capacitors. Most of the 8.4 OEM head units 2013 and up with the standard six speaker configuration use caps to limit frequencies to the dash speakers. Many folks don’t know a small 3.5 inch coaxial or dedicated tweeter can’t handle the power that lower frequencies generate. At higher volumes they will distort or blow their dash speakers without the caps installed. This is especially important if using an aftermarket amp in bi-amp mode as there is no frequency filtering. Thank you for pointing out the necessity of those often overlooked capacitors.