Augh! My eyes! It's so... ugly!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Well c'mon....that wasn't the only color they sold in 1970....and it was the style of the day. There were some equally ugly vehicles coming out from other makers.
I'll give you that! [emoji1785][emoji2961] But seriously look at the 80s they failed miserably in the 80s everything was boxy with square headlights.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I think we can thank Ralph Nader for some of that. The Corvair was somewhat revolutionary for American car makers. By putting so much effort into turning the car into a scary, dangerous machine, most all car manufacturers were reluctant to try any new concepts for fear of the Ralph Naders in the world, and stuck with the same ol same ol.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh yeah...from the mid to late 70's and all through the 80's it was a complete CF for all makes and models.

Not only did they look like crap they ran like it too.

I don't know, my 1984 Daytona Turbo Z looked nice and ran pretty decent - actually one of my favorite cars that I have owned.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't know, my 1984 Daytona Turbo Z looked nice and ran pretty decent - actually one of my favorite cars that I have owned.

You know what they say... "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

That wedged shape design turned me off. But to each their own. I would say the majority of cars built in those years looked bad and ran worse.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh the majority of cars didn't look great and many ran worse than they looked.

That Daytona had over 300k miles on it when I gave it to my brother - original motor, turbo, 5 speed trans. Mark Cross leather interior was the most comfortable car to drive in also.
Then again my 71 Cuda looked decent and ran decent also.
My 69 GTO Judge looked nice, but was so so as far as performance - I think the Daytona would have taken it.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree! Nobodies full sized cars were particularly attractive in 1970 but it was the peak of the horsepower years. Those engines were sought after all the way up through the mid 90's when horsepower started moving in the right direction and look where we are now.

On another note from the mid 70's on I remember that the first thing that dad always did with all cars purchased through the mid 80's was replace the cat with a "test pipe" and punch out that plate for the gas tank nozzle. Good times!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 78-79 Dodge Magnum were a fairly neat looking car for the era. Lose the landau too, though.