Auto Dim Headlight in 2020 Ram Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brady Allmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Lights are set to Auto

Auto Dim is Turned on in Settings

Arm is pushed forward to activate bright lights

Lights will not Auto Dim with these settings! What am I missing?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lights are set to Auto

So the auto dim works properly with the low beams on, but when you activate the highs the auto dim stops working? Or does it not auto dim with any of the headlights on?

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Lights are set to Auto

Light rotary switch itself is in auto? Assume that is way you mean in first sentence. Pretty sure 2018s have forward mounted camera above rear view mirror as sensor as mine will sense both oncoming headlights and tail lights being followed. Not sure about 2020 models, but assuming same setup. Don't have windshield "eyebrow" tenting do you?
All else looked correct otherwise.
Lee

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Light rotary switch itself is in auto? Assume that is way you mean in first sentence. Pretty sure 2018s have forward mounted camera above rear view mirror as sensor as mine will sense both oncoming headlights and tail lights being followed. Not sure about 2020 models, but assuming same setup. Don't have windshield "eyebrow" tenting do you?
All else looked correct otherwise.
Lee

I was totally confused on what he was talking about I guess, but now it makes sense. Brady, is the truck lifted at all or leveled?

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well if not lifted or otherwise leveled or somehow blocked by tint, thinking would be time for dealer to check out sensor. I'm no guru though.
Lee

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lights are set to Auto

Sounds like you have everything set right but as soon as you push the stick forward, the brights immediately turn on? I guess I need to pay better attention to mine but I’m pretty sure there is a slight delay from pushing the stick forward from when the brights automatically turn on.

Do you have anything blocking the front camera that’s up between the rear view and the windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well if not lifted or otherwise leveled or somehow blocked by tint, thinking would be time for dealer to check out sensor. I'm no guru though.
Lee

Agreed, I know my leveled ram with the auto dim doesn't work great but on stock setups I've seen them work much better. So if not that, or as you mentioned, something blocking the sensor, probably would have to resort to taking it to the dealer.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This isnt the first post we've had about the new RAMs having issues with auto high beams.

I have a feeling there is a bug somewhere that needs to be fixed by FCA.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This isnt the first post we've had about the new RAMs having issues with auto high beams.

I have a feeling there is a bug somewhere that needs to be fixed by FCA.

Mine was trouble free up until I put HID’s and LED’s in my factory projectors. The rejection off road signs is enough to make my system think there is an oncoming car so it dims them a lot for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Brady Allmon

Brady Allmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I’ve made no modifications to the 2020 Ram and no Window Tinting. All stock! Yes - when I push the stick forward the bright lights come on but fail to auto dim.

I had a 2019 Ram and had no problems with auto dim!

However, I got rid of the 2019 Ram because of motor cylinder #7 failure with possibility of #5 failing! The truck was still having engine shake ever so slightly even after repair. Even though I had warranty, I was tired of trips to dealer! Yes I’m giving Ram one more chance and this autodim thing, even though small, is annoying!

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you push the lights into high position does the dash briefly show automatic high beams enabled? It will say disabled if you manually engage low beams. That at least will verify settings are correct and it is probably a sensor issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's like the 4th gen the headlights need to be in automatic mode.

OP mentioned tinting.... Did you get the windshield tinted as well?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brady Allmon

Brady Allmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
When you push the lights into high position does the dash briefly show automatic high beams enabled? It will say disabled if you manually engage low beams. That at least will verify settings are correct and it is probably a sensor issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Display does not show Auto High Beams engaged when stick pushed forward. It is setup correctly in Settings! I think it’s a sensor issue!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Display does not show Auto High Beams engaged when stick pushed forward. It is setup correctly in Settings! I think it’s a sensor issue!

Did you get your windshield tinted?

Jzhorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Picked up my 2020 Limited after Christmas. No Auto High beam dimming. 2015 Worked fine. UConnect activated switch forward driving over 20mph. No notification in display. Will be checking with dealer soon.

Russell Hague

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brand new 2020 Limited same thing. Stick forward, hi beams only. Dealer said was functioning properly and it was up to me to program it properly. I’ll be trying a different dealership next week.