Auto Dimming Headlamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My headlights will auto dim at random for no reason. Driving down an old county road and they will dim, then brights, then dim and back and forth with no tail lights, headlights, or even signs on the road. I will say they always dim when necessary like car headlights or tail lights.

Anyone else have this issue? My wife had a Jeep with the auto dim headlights and although occasionally it would glitch like this it was very rare.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine have done that a little, but not "often". But, most of the time it has seemed to be from other lighting or reflection maybe? You can always turn the outa-dim off if they continue an an annoyance.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you ever replaced your lighting for brighter bulbs? If I remember correctly- and I say that because within 2 weeks or so of buying my new truck, I had already upgraded from the factory bulbs so I don’t remember if mine ever did that once I put brighter bulbs in, or not. But once I upgraded again to ultra-bright LED highs and HID lows, I could be driving down the highway and the reflection from signs would dim my lights. Before, it would only do it when shining the lights at a dead end or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you ever replaced your lighting for brighter bulbs? If I remember correctly- and I say that because within 2 weeks or so of buying my new truck, I had already upgraded from the factory bulbs so I don’t remember if mine ever did that once I put brighter bulbs in, or not. But once I upgraded again to ultra-bright LED highs and HID lows, I could be driving down the highway and the reflection from signs would dim my lights. Before, it would only do it when shining the lights at a dead end or something.

I have the Laramie, it comes with LED headlights stock so one would think they have been programmed accordingly.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yes I considered this however it is a feature and convenience I like.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Laramie, it comes with LED headlights stock so one would think they have been programmed accordingly.

Yes I considered this however it is a feature and convenience I like.

My bad, I didn’t realize for one that you have a new body style and for two that you have the better led factory headlights so in lieu of that info, it kinda sounds like they just kept using the same sensors my 4th gen has or maybe it’s true, maybe your sensor that controls your automatic highbeams wasn’t properly adjusted. I’d call the dealer up and see if it can be adjusted.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine have done that a little, but not "often". But, most of the time it has seemed to be from other lighting or reflection maybe? You can always turn the outa-dim off if they continue an an annoyance.

Have you upgraded to brighter bulbs because the OP has one of those new body styles with the LED factory headlights. I can’t see the front of your truck in your avatar picture to see if you got the the projectors or if you got the quads but as I stated in my first post, I didn’t have this problem with my factory projectors until I started putting brighter bulbs in my headlights.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you upgraded to brighter bulbs because the OP has one of those new body styles with the LED factory headlights. I can’t see the front of your truck in your avatar picture to see if you got the the projectors or if you got the quads but as I stated in my first post, I didn’t have this problem with my factory projectors until I started putting brighter bulbs in my headlights.

I have the factory projector headlights on my '16 Sport, but I have upgraded the bulbs to LEDs. I haven't really noticed a difference in the auto-dimming with the swap though.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the factory projector headlights on my '16 Sport, but I have upgraded the bulbs to LEDs. I haven't really noticed a difference in the auto-dimming with the swap though.

Did you replace your brights with those as well, or just your lowbeams?

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you replace your brights with those as well, or just your lowbeams?

I replaced the high and low beams at the same time, and replaced the fogs as well. It's a hell of a difference too...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the high and low beams at the same time, and replaced the fogs as well. It's a hell of a difference too...

Hmm, I guess consider yourself lucky then. I can still use mine but they do quite often alternate between high low when they aren’t supposed to but at least it’s not totally a pain but if I get tired of it, I just turn my headlights to on an dim it/bright it manually.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll try to pay more attention to that in the future and will follow up if I notice them doing that. So far though, I haven't had that issue. However, they will - on occasion - blink but it's rare.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I noticed it when my lights hit a sign and caused a reflection.

Forgot about this thread until a few nights ago. This is what's happening, everytime the headlights hit a sign it dims. Then when the dims come on it goes back to high beams only to dim again because I haven't passed the sign and back and forth until I am past the sign. Really sucks. It happens on every single sign.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
are your headlights aimed correctly?

Karl Mull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi w/ etorque
I have the same issue. Sometimes my high beam will not even come on. and when they do they shut off on on as I pass cars or signs. I get it when cars approach they shut off, but street lights and such? I'm going to ask the dealer what they can do, but as is the high beam is useless.

Kevinch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They dim due to the level of ambient light, not just oncoming lights. Bright reflections off of road signs, a well lit building on the side of the road, well lit developments, etc. will trigger the system to flick the high beams off. The choice is to live with the auto-dim setting as it is, or to shut it off & manually control the brights.

OP
OP
Podcast

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They dim due to the level of ambient light, not just oncoming lights. Bright reflections off of road signs, a well lit building on the side of the road, well lit developments, etc. will trigger the system to flick the high beams off. The choice is to live with the auto-dim setting as it is, or to shut it off & manually control the brights.

Sorry for the late response. I'm defintely not arguing with you, what you're stating is true. However this should not be. I drive other trucks with auto high beams such as Ford, GMC, my wifes Jeep etc. None of those shut off due to signs along the road way. This is a programming issue that Ram should address.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have owned my Limited since March (2nd level LED lights) and I have yet to drive it at night lol. But I will keep and eye out for this when I do as the days are getting shorter.