Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Ram 1970, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Ram 1970

Ram 1970 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Just how dark are these mirrors supposed to get? I'm new to the 'auto dim' feature...never had it before until this truck. To me, there is no difference between switching it on or off in the settings. And lights are a little too glaring at night when looking at it.

What exactly runs the mirror? Sensors on the back of it or something else? I'm doubting the dealership will fix it free of charge...

2. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Shine a bright flashlight at the rearview mirror (the part you look at). The outside mirror(s) will turn almost a bluish color. If you have your rear windows tinted darker than factory or a cap on the back, the auto-dimming doesn't work as well.
    If your having issues with car headlights behind you, possibly don't have your mirrors adjusted correctly. Set your mirrors where you can just barely see the side of the truck/rear wheel well on the inside edge of the mirror with your head all the way back against the headrest.

3. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    It is a decent difference between when it is active and when it isn't but on most trucks it is just the drivers side and rearview mirrors. My passenger side doesn't dim.

You should be able to see a difference but only at night.

4. smoke8r

smoke8r Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2020 1500 sport crew cab blackout package
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    on my 2020 the review and driver mirros dim, the passenger does not. It's not really a dim per-see, its more of a glare reduction, as it were.... it cuts down on the glare from the headlights behind you, its not the same as the typical button dimming that we are all used to. In the daylight i can see a green "film" around the 2 mirrors where the dimming is.

5. bluebeast1562

bluebeast1562 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I second the "film" appearance on the mirror. I know that if the sun hits it just right, it will dim.

6. kad

kad Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI
    Are you talking about the side mirrors or the rear view mounted to the windshield? I know on mine, which has the auto-dim rear view but not he side mirrors, there is a control on the radio to turn on/off the auto-dim feature. You might want to double check that it's turned on if it doesn't seem to be working.

-K

7. Ram 1970

Ram 1970 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    The rear-view...mounted on the windshild...is the one in question. I see the film on the mirror during the day, but there is no change in shading while driving at night (with headlights behind me) by switching it on and off in the controls. None whatsoever. The side mirrors do seem to smoke up and shade the lights, though. It's irritating when a $20 walmart aftermarket mirror can do a better job than what I'm getting right now.

I just wondered if there was a way to adjust how much shading the auto dimming does to the mirror. The only shading I get at the moment is from the back window (which is factory shaded, of course).

8. kad

kad Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI
    You should see some sort of change, if you're not and the truck is under warranty I'd take it in to the dealer.

Oh, one other thing, there is a sensor on the back of the mirror as well to tell it if it's day or night outside. Make sure it's not blocked by a toll tag or anything similar.

-K

Ram 1970 likes this.
  9. Ram 1970

Ram 1970 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Now you might be onto something with that suggestion. I inadvertently installed my Garmin dash cam on the windshield in front of the mirror on the right side. And the cam has a power indicator light. And I noticed a sensor on the mirror on that side. I removed the cam and I'm waiting to try it out.

10. Musky Mike

Musky Mike Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    I agree, my rear view mirror doesn't dim enough for me. I wish they had left the flip switch on the mirror to adjust for night driving, simple and always works.