Auto dimming rear view mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just how dark are these mirrors supposed to get? I'm new to the 'auto dim' feature...never had it before until this truck. To me, there is no difference between switching it on or off in the settings. And lights are a little too glaring at night when looking at it.

What exactly runs the mirror? Sensors on the back of it or something else? I'm doubting the dealership will fix it free of charge...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Shine a bright flashlight at the rearview mirror (the part you look at). The outside mirror(s) will turn almost a bluish color. If you have your rear windows tinted darker than factory or a cap on the back, the auto-dimming doesn't work as well.
If your having issues with car headlights behind you, possibly don't have your mirrors adjusted correctly. Set your mirrors where you can just barely see the side of the truck/rear wheel well on the inside edge of the mirror with your head all the way back against the headrest.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a decent difference between when it is active and when it isn't but on most trucks it is just the drivers side and rearview mirrors. My passenger side doesn't dim.

You should be able to see a difference but only at night.

smoke8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 sport crew cab blackout package
Engine
5.7 hemi
on my 2020 the review and driver mirros dim, the passenger does not. It's not really a dim per-see, its more of a glare reduction, as it were.... it cuts down on the glare from the headlights behind you, its not the same as the typical button dimming that we are all used to. In the daylight i can see a green "film" around the 2 mirrors where the dimming is.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
on my 2020 the review and driver mirros dim, the passenger does not. It's not really a dim per-see, its more of a glare reduction, as it were.... it cuts down on the glare from the headlights behind you, its not the same as the typical button dimming that we are all used to. In the daylight i can see a green "film" around the 2 mirrors where the dimming is.
I second the "film" appearance on the mirror. I know that if the sun hits it just right, it will dim.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Are you talking about the side mirrors or the rear view mounted to the windshield? I know on mine, which has the auto-dim rear view but not he side mirrors, there is a control on the radio to turn on/off the auto-dim feature. You might want to double check that it's turned on if it doesn't seem to be working.

-K

OP
OP
Ram 1970

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rear-view...mounted on the windshild...is the one in question. I see the film on the mirror during the day, but there is no change in shading while driving at night (with headlights behind me) by switching it on and off in the controls. None whatsoever. The side mirrors do seem to smoke up and shade the lights, though. It's irritating when a $20 walmart aftermarket mirror can do a better job than what I'm getting right now.

I just wondered if there was a way to adjust how much shading the auto dimming does to the mirror. The only shading I get at the moment is from the back window (which is factory shaded, of course).

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The rear-view...mounted on the windshild...is the one in question. I see the film on the mirror during the day, but there is no change in shading while driving at night (with headlights behind me) by switching it on and off in the controls. None whatsoever. The side mirrors do seem to smoke up and shade the lights, though. It's irritating when a $20 walmart aftermarket mirror can do a better job than what I'm getting right now.

I just wondered if there was a way to adjust how much shading the auto dimming does to the mirror. The only shading I get at the moment is from the back window (which is factory shaded, of course).

You should see some sort of change, if you're not and the truck is under warranty I'd take it in to the dealer.

Oh, one other thing, there is a sensor on the back of the mirror as well to tell it if it's day or night outside. Make sure it's not blocked by a toll tag or anything similar.

-K

OP
OP
Ram 1970

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, one other thing, there is a sensor on the back of the mirror as well to tell it if it's day or night outside. Make sure it's not blocked by a toll tag or anything similar.

-K

Now you might be onto something with that suggestion. I inadvertently installed my Garmin dash cam on the windshield in front of the mirror on the right side. And the cam has a power indicator light. And I noticed a sensor on the mirror on that side. I removed the cam and I'm waiting to try it out.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I agree, my rear view mirror doesn't dim enough for me. I wish they had left the flip switch on the mirror to adjust for night driving, simple and always works.

OP
OP
Ram 1970

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree, my rear view mirror doesn't dim enough for me. I wish they had left the flip switch on the mirror to adjust for night driving, simple and always works.
I'll admit: It's not the greatest at dimming headlights. In this day and age of smart cars: An old technology like dimming/polarizing rear view mirrors should be perfected by now....

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
To test...

Block the front autodim sensor and shine a light at the glass.
c02f9db1120a4907a47c079d6c6e5ee1.jpg

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram 1970

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To close this out, it seems to that my Garmin mini dash cam....installed in front of the mirror sensor....was causing the problem. It does get darker now since I relocated the cam (the cam has a solid light while being powered, confusing the sensor I guess). Thanks for the help!