Auto Fresh air vent from recirculate delete (MTC)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I have a problem with the recirculating air setting going to fresh automatically at certain temperature settings for the climate control at the worst moments ,

of course defrost completely circumvents the recirculating setting as does Max AC circumvents fresh.

In All the other settings the auto fresh comes on during a dust cloud, exhaust fumes, or roadside agricultural abatement .
Does anyone know where a fix is for this or how to bypass a fuse or sensor to prevent this occurrence ???????

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Most owners and or technicians do not believe this is an intended engineering issue but the fresh air introduction to the system keeps humidity low and malodor to a minimum by reducing condensation on the surfaces of the system
Servicing HVAC for odors I guess was a major complaint over the years and with the adaptation of more widespread stringent CARB regulations on the horizon.
(Auto manufacturers previous fix was to use aerosolized decontaminates and cleaners.)
Hence the adaptation of the auto fresh HVAC system.
Aerosolized products fall under the jurisdiction of CARB mandates so to cut possible greater manufacturing/ maintenance costs we get fresh air at the will of the sensor controlled HVAC system.

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I really hoped someone would have figured this out by now but I guess because the cost and limits of available information (and what information that is available being sold and marketed by third party vendors) I’ll probably bite the bullet an purchase the separate electrical dvd does anyone know if the electrical Service Dvd is worth the trouble of looking at ?

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Without a 8.4 ATC where is the sensor?
Manual override is distracting and hazardous. Anyone?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
3C61ADE1-38B4-4E3D-8D76-72514FB006AF.jpeg
Manual Temperature Control Harness Connector Locations

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Still need to pull the glove box to confirm location and actuation.

OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
While cleaning my cabin air filter I searched for the harness control connectors . The connectors are there in relatively the same location as the above diagram but still difficult to access.

While I had my glove box out I noticed the recirculating door was open and not down over the filter box,
I used my key to activate the controls and watched as the recirculating door would open on cue when the power was turned off.
I reached in with my finger and pulled the door closed ever so gently and I heard a “pop” I thought “well I broke it” and it wasn’t even enough pressure to tear a tissue .

I replaced the cabin air filter and replaced it’s door, replaced the glove box and went for a drive. I did hear some other vents activate when I changed from recirculating to fresh but I did not hear the air speed change to lower pitch when changing from recirculating to fresh.

I’ll update my findings when the weather clears again, but for now I may have either closed the recirculating door permanently or just caused another issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mister Luck

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Martin Built posted a video on YouTube about blend door actuators and I’m curious to see if there is a similarity
in the 4TH GEN RAM blend doors