Auto Shift failure rotary 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram Connector 2.jpg

Hello, I need some help/advice. On my '17 Ram 1500 SCSB 5.7 8 sp - I am having repeated shifter failure service light. Basically the auto shift goes wonky and won't shift usually out of reverse, but I've had it stick in drive also. One time I was backing out of a parking spot and it stranded me in the way of a tight busy parking lot. The only fix I've found is to shut it off and after up to 10 minutes it heals itself. The dealer is no help.

I did search here when it first happened and found a thread from someone that had the same problem and fixed his by taking apart a connector under the driver's side door, cleaning & dielectric grease the connection. I cannot now find that thread as I'm not using the right key words or something.

The connection pictured above is the only one under the driver's door, so must be the one. I need help from anyone that has had this problem or knows about it (hope I'm describing it right) and can tell me how to take this apart w/o breaking it. I see 3 bolts holding the bracket to the frame so it would drop down some. I can't feel tabs on it, but there has to be some kind of release on the plugs.

TIA for any insight/advice with this. Wife & I were hoping to go to Key West next month but she doesn't want to ride in this truck anymore!

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Move the red lock up and then the latch goes in the same direction. They take alot of force to pry apart. You'll feel it spreading itself apart, and you might even need a screw driver for leverage. They do break though so don't force it.

OP
OP
fljab

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the response, but that's not what I'm asking. I know about the manual release under the panel on left side of dashboard. That would allow the truck to be moved if need be; understand that.

I need to find the original thread but can't seem to get it with the key words I'm using.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
So does the rotating shift knob show the wrong value (D while it’s stuck in reverse)?

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Or is it correct but the transmission is locking you out?