Auto start, heated seats/steering wheel on under 40f, can this be changed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read that the system is set so that the heated seats and steering wheel will not come on when auto-starting the truck unless the temp is below 40f. I verified that yesterday and today.
Yesterday was 43f. I autostarted the truck, the seats and steering wheel did not heat up. Today, 37f. Seats and steering wheel heated up when auto start the truck.
(Sarcastic applause for the engineering team that approved 40f as the threshold, and for whatever the next threshold is that prohibits actuation at all. They will not turn on at all if it's warm outside. Get the "2 second" error)
Can the 40 degree threshold be changed?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not with the uConnect system. Maybe with AlphaOBD?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
On my 2022 classic with 8.4 inch whatever you call it these days ‘infotainment system’ there are vehicle settings where you can disable it, I did it on the first day I got the truck.

EDIT never mind read this post wrong…are you saying if its 50 degrees outside you can’t use the heated seats at all!?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, the 40deg limit can not be changed. The function can be turned off/on in the settings, but the temp is set to 40deg. Now, like was stated above, not sure if it's possible with a programmer at all... that might be something to look in to. There are times where I'd like to have mine come on at 45/50deg depending on what the weather is doing.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 2022 classic with 8.4 inch whatever you call it these days ‘infotainment system’ there are vehicle settings where you can disable it, I did it on the first day I got the truck.

EDIT never mind read this post wrong…are you saying if its 50 degrees outside you can’t use the heated seats at all!?
It's got a couple levels of operation. Below 40f, the heated seats/steering wheel will come on when I remote start the truck. Above 40f, they have to be manually turned on when you enter the truck.

There is another threshold, I don't know what it is. I'm guessing 60-65f. Above that, the heated seats/steering wheel will not come on at all. It gets that two second time out. This got me down a rabbit hole where I thought the system was broken.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know my heated seats and steering wheel will automatically turn on whenever I start the truck below 40F (remote start OR normal starting), however I've never tried turning them on when it was warmer to see if they wouldn't come on at all above a certain temp. We have two other cars in our household with heated seats and I know they will still come on at higher ambient temps because my wife will use them....just the other day it was in the 60's and she used the heated seats.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's got a couple levels of operation. Below 40f, the heated seats/steering wheel will come on when I remote start the truck. Above 40f, they have to be manually turned on when you enter the truck.

There is another threshold, I don't know what it is. I'm guessing 60-65f. Above that, the heated seats/steering wheel will not come on at all. It gets that two second time out. This got me down a rabbit hole where I thought the system was broken.
I think it was 59 or 60 today when I first tried mine today, if it ever gets warmer this year (doubt it in BUFFALO) I will give it a try. You want heated seats in 90*, my Tahoe will do that for ya lol…

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it was 59 or 60 today when I first tried mine today, if it ever gets warmer this year (doubt it in BUFFALO) I will give it a try. You want heated seats in 90*, my Tahoe will do that for ya lol…
Dunno about an upper limit also. But then, down here, when it is an upper limit, usually 80-100, sounds like AC to dis BOIRD, lol. But heck, it is going down to 32 tomorrow morning, and it was 80 yesterday, LOL. Good thing I set the temp higher for auto start output, that having it at 60, LOL.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I remote start my truck, (which is all the time), winter, summer or whenever, if it's below 40 degrees out, it will turn on the heated seat, the heated steering wheel, the heated outside mirror, and the defroster will be going. Regardless of where the controls are.
If it's above 80 degrees, it will automatically turn the A/C on, regardless of where control settings are.

I don't think these settings can be changed like mentioned above.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dunno about an upper limit also. But then, down here, when it is an upper limit, usually 80-100, sounds like AC to dis BOIRD, lol. But heck, it is going down to 32 tomorrow morning, and it was 80 yesterday, LOL. Good thing I set the temp higher for auto start output, that having it at 60, LOL.
I never use the auto start lol, didn’t have one on 8 years…might change now but I forget I have it. I always set my climate controls to cold and to the floor as default but off, I hate how air flow still gets through the vents when off

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Related - with my Bighorn is there a way to have the passenger seat also turn on when it's under 40F outside?

Note to above - having the heated driver seat and all that come on at 40F or lower is enabled or disabled thru the uConnect settings. That 40F setting is not variable, though.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've read that the system is set so that the heated seats and steering wheel will not come on when auto-starting the truck unless the temp is below 40f. I verified that yesterday and today.

Can the 40 degree threshold be changed?
It gets worst. Picture your truck parked in your driveway orientated such that the outside driver's mirror is facing to the east. Outside it is cold, very cold, let's say 20 degrees F (or pick a number that means very cold to you as long as it is less than 40 degrees F), and the sun, on a clear winter morning, has crept up over the eastern horizon casting its warm rays on your truck's outside mirror, where the truck's temperature sensor is located.

You remote start thinking you are going to enter your truck and find a warm seat and steering wheel with the defrost system engaged blowing somewhat warmed air. But you get into your truck and instead sit down on a block of ice and notice the defrost system doing nothing. You quickly check your settings and find that the auto heated seat etc. feature is still turned on. You wonder, or no, I need a dealer service visit, and then, you notice on the DIC or on the top of the Uconnect screen the outside temperature is shown as some value well over 40 degrees F and you realize the mirror is heat soaked from the morning sun.

My 2013 did this, my 2015 does this, and now my 2022 does this. RAM has yet to learn from this. There has to be a better way of sensing exterior temperature more accurately. MY GMs had the temperature sensor under the front grill, which worked well but got heat soaked when shutting down say at a store.

You wonder how do high-value vehicles measure the exterior temperature, but wait, my 2013 Laramie, my 2015 Longhorn, and my 2022 Longhorn are high-value high-content vehicles.

I live in a northern climate, like many, why can't I simply have the option to select the heated features to come on at remote start? November through March, it is safe to assume every morning it will be cold.

I've never seen an AlfaOBD (not AlphaOBD) setting that can change this behavior. RAM, pay attention to this.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I remote start my truck, (which is all the time), winter, summer or whenever, if it's below 40 degrees out, it will turn on the heated seat, the heated steering wheel, the heated outside mirror, and the defroster will be going. Regardless of where the controls are.
If it's above 80 degrees, it will automatically turn the A/C on, regardless of where control settings are.

I don't think these settings can be changed like mentioned above.
I can post a picture or video of the settings in my ram here later where you can change these settings if I remember

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Related - with my Bighorn is there a way to have the passenger seat also turn on when it's under 40F outside?
Unfortunately no, it would be great if which seat(s) and at what temperature was selectable.
@RamCares send this idea to the designers.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Note to above - having the heated driver seat and all that come on at 40F or lower is enabled or disabled thru the uConnect settings. That 40F setting is not variable, though.
Yup, just drivers in U connect. Now, using like ALpha OBD, maybe there is another level. But I only have a Bighorn, not like a higher trimmed Longhorn or Limited, with all the extra comfort options.

seat.JPG

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never use the auto start lol, didn’t have one on 8 years…might change now but I forget I have it. I always set my climate controls to cold and to the floor as default but off, I hate how air flow still gets through the vents when off
BOIRD spoiled now, like the convenience. Of course, could do without, but guess feathers getting lazy, lmao.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Attachments

• F8C2665A-C3B0-4EEC-A9DB-6CE81AE4345D.jpeg
    F8C2665A-C3B0-4EEC-A9DB-6CE81AE4345D.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 21
  • 2514D9AC-1E7C-42DA-9546-6F9077739B1C.jpeg
    2514D9AC-1E7C-42DA-9546-6F9077739B1C.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 21

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Used the heated seats and wheel on my new truck for the first time today. Went from a prolonged very nice weather pattern to cold literally overnight. Worked great, but I did notice a cold spot on the steering wheel where the wood part of the wheel meets the leather. Didn't have that on my 18 Laramie with an all leather wheel. Most of the wood was heated though. 1st world problem.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thread started asking how to set it to more than 40, and you are saying you have your truck set to have heated stuff on at 60??? How do?