Automatic Door Locks Will Unlock, but Won't Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
I just changed my BCM this past weekend. It is fairly hard to get to and I wouldn't recommend trying to change it in the parking lot of a dealership. It took me about 4 hours to do with trial and error on what needed to be removed, but I figured I would do a write up to help someone else out since I couldn't find anything on how to do it.

To take it out you need to remove the panel under the steering wheel and small squsare panel above the parking brake release (just so you can see everything) then remove the black amp looking thing. It has two 7mm (socket size) screws that you loosen on the amp bracket underneath a grounding bolt that also has to be removed and then there's one more 7mm screw way up on the top of the amp bracket. I used a few socket extensions to get that one out. Then the plastic side kick panel and parking brake bracket have to be removed. The kick panel just pops out but the parking brake has three 13mm nuts to remove. Those nuts can be difficult to reach and easy to loose. Once the parking brake bracket/ pedal is loosened just maneuver it around any wires and out of the way; the cable can stay attached. Now you should have clear access to the wire connectors on the BCM. Some of the connectors (I think two of them) have a tab on the top that you push down on the top to release but the others are like a cam lock style (similar to an engine wiring connector) that you slide upwards and they pop out. All of the wire connectors were easier to remove then I thought they would be. Then to remove the BCM remove the four 10mm nuts on each corner, again these are hard to reach with a tool and could get lost. I used a pencil magnet so I wouldn't loose them. After all that you should be able to finagle the BCM out and put the new one in in reverse order.

I was expecting the truck to need to be towed to the dealer but mine actually started. I just had a ton of warnings come up on the dash to service systems (Service 4x4 System, Service trailer brake, Service ABS, etc.) and the radio was locked out. I drove mine to the dealer right away so they could program/ flash it. It's takes the dealer about an hour to program it.

I purchased a used BCM from eBay (no guarantee it was functioning but it was from a wrecked Ram) for $80. I was able to remove the old and install the new in about 45 minutes.

1. Removing the ~8 connectors is easy, just flip up the plastic lock and pull out.
2. There are four 10mm nuts holding on the BCM. You will various lengths of extensions/sockets.
3. From here it is tricky but you can snake out the BCM without removing anything else.

After installation my door locks worked instantly. The truck started no problem but has a lot of warning/errors so the BCM will need to be reprogrammmed. I have an appointment to reprogram the BCM at the dealership tomorrow. They said it would cost $160 (seems like a rip off). I'll report back on the final bill.

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
After installation my door locks worked instantly. The truck started no problem but has a lot of warning/errors so the BCM will need to be reprogrammmed. I have an appointment to reprogram the BCM at the dealership tomorrow. They said it would cost $160 (seems like a rip off). I'll report back on the final bill.

Following up... $160 big ones. Since I purchased my used (not re-manufactured) the dealer pulled some mumbo-jumbo on me because the VIN of my truck won't match the VIN of the BCM. I told them to reprogram it anyways and presto... everything works again. So for about $80 (used BCM) and $160 (BCM reprogram) my door locks and false-positive warnings in the EVIC are now resolved.

I took some photos of the new (N marking) and original (O marking) BCM's in hope to find something on the circuit board that was physically damaged but couldn't find anything. Maybe this photo will help in the future with repair diagnose.

lQ4W7MFG94ay63uX4YEjfsMoSZ10LB4B4oog=w1259-h944-no.jpg

jtothek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, hopefully everyone who has posted anything related to this issue with the BCM failure that caused problems with the automatic door locks will get an alert of newer posts in this thread.

After reading about all the other people with the same issue, I called the local dealer to learn that labor alone was $250. Parts quoted the replacement module was $400, but that it has been on back order with no ETA information.

I went on Mopar.com and contacted the company that manages recalls, FCA LLC. The customer rep logged my issue and said if they get enough reports of the same nature and part, they will issue a recall.
Link is:
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/results.html

They also said we could report the problem to the NHTSA as well.
Link:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/

I will probably go ahead and come out of pocket to have it fixed, but if a recall is eventually issued anyone who has already paid will get reimbursed.

Terryturner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Add my truck to this list as well. 2013 1500 sport. I cant say for sure if wasnt happening before but I did just have a couple computer flashes done maybe a month ago

Fireice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add another 2013 to this list with the same described issues. I did put in a report to FCA and NHSTA as well. This is ridiculous that so many customers are reporting this issue and Ram is not issuing a recall. I said I would never purchase another Chrysler product again about fifteen years ago when Chrysler was have transmission problems with so many of their products but figured I would give them another shot after Mercedes bought them out. I figured Mercedes would get their transmissions corrected which it looks like they did. If Chrysler cannot get something as benign as door locks correct, I'm really apprehensive about their software controlling engine and transmission functions.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ended up disconnecting the plugs from the BCM, tweaking the pins for better contact then reinstalling the plugs. Didn't seem to have an issue since then. Door locks worked fine right up until I traded it in last week.

torus3000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up disconnecting the plugs from the BCM, tweaking the pins for better contact then reinstalling the plugs. Didn't seem to have an issue since then. Door locks worked fine right up until I traded it in last week.
How long did you have it since cleaning pins?

Add my ‘17 here with 65k. Bought it just about a month ago and moved to the place where rain never ends. So as my lock/unlock issue. Seems to work again once it dried for a few days after the rain.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How long did you have it since cleaning pins?

Add my ‘17 here with 65k. Bought it just about a month ago and moved to the place where rain never ends. So as my lock/unlock issue. Seems to work again once it dried for a few days after the rain.

Bout a year. Not sure exactly. I know I tore it apart shortly after joining this thread.

xumengpeter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
would AlfaOBD be able to restore the profile to the new BCM if the file was uploaded before the old BCM was taken out?

Bone Crusher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter
I have a 2012 3500 Mega. Dropped it off today at the dealership to fix the same issue. Will unlock but not lock with either the door handle lock button or key fob, but it will unlock. I mentioned this forum and emailed the link to the Service manager but she "stated we cannot use the forum, there should be TSB out there the technician can us."

aepowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After several attempts to fix mine the finally accepted what was on the forum.

James Reed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Reviving an old thread. Same problem has started in my 18' Limited Ecodiesel. First time in at dealership, they rewired a "shorted" wire in the passenger rear door. However, the problem still existed afterwards. Few weeks later, on the second visit, the dealership just replaced the BCM after I was able to show them this thread. Same issue still there after BCM replacement! Grrrr!

Remote start works, TPMS works.

It seems the fob/keyless entry works once after turning off the engine, and then after that, nothing. The under-mirror lights flash, but won't lock/unlock anything.

Dealership seems stumped, and may have to look to Dodge/FCA for help.

Anyone else out there have any suggestions?