Automatic Shutdown Relay question/help request

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,
I am looking to bypass the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) Relay. I am in the process of deleting EFI in a truck and the fuel pump will not run. I am running an aftermarket distributor. I've read in the Chilton's manual that the ASD relay receives a signal that allows the fuel pump to run. Mine is not receiving this signal, as I do not have the factory distributor hooked up. I am looking for some help, if anyone has experience with this, or a wiring diagram that I can use to figure out how to artificially send the signal to this ASD relay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nik

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ignition switch power the terminal 85 and the computer grounds terminal 86. you need to just ground terminal 86 but you may want to put it on a toggle switch so you can use it as a kill switch.

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! Thank you very much! Also. Oddly I couldn't find its location in my manual. Is it in the fuse block, fire wall, fenderwell? I appreciate your help!

Crazzywolfie, I'm also looking for a good keyed ignition source to power my new HEI distributor. Do you know the best circuit/wire to use? I'm so close to wrapping this swap up. If I need, I don't mind running a new relay for the ignition, so as to only use an existing circuit for a signal. I wore the HEI coil to the factory coil wires on the firewall and was getting some weird readings from the blk/yellow (ground) and the green/blk (pos) wires that went to the original coil on the dash. I got 12v from the green wire, then hooked it up and it didn't fire. Then disconnected it, read again with multi meter and got around 5 or 6 volts. I'm wondering if the computer varies this voltage to the coil? I was tired, so I may be able to make more sense of it today.

Any help finding a good ignition source would be greatly appreciated!

Nik

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like your idea of a toggle switch in line to have a kill switch! Would be a great anti-theft addition...

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the coil wire should have a solid 12v. the resistor should be built into the coil on the 89. you may need to ground the asd relay to get 12v power to the coil. you might have caught the computer turning off the ASD relay

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the coil wire should have a solid 12v. the resistor should be built into the coil on the 89. you may need to ground the asd relay to get 12v power to the coil. you might have caught the computer turning off the ASD relay

Whew. I thought that I was losing it for a bit there!

Thank you much!

Nik

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone looking for this relay, I found this photo with a Google search:

johnjnail_215.jpg

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
no problem. i got a bit of experience hot wiring the 88-93's. for the most part they are pretty simple when everything is working like it should.

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ignition switch power the terminal 85 and the computer grounds terminal 86. you need to just ground terminal 86 but you may want to put it on a toggle switch so you can use it as a kill switch.

Crazzywolfie,I hate to keep bugging you, but in this comment that you left, were you saying that I should send ignition switch power TO terminal 85, or that it is a source to pick up ignition switch power?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that is where the factory ignition switch powers. you could tie into it if you want or you could just pull power off the coil. both should be the same. the same wire splits to power a few things when the key is turned on.

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that is where the factory ignition switch powers. you could tie into it if you want or you could just pull power off the coil. both should be the same. the same wire splits to power a few things when the key is turned on.

Awesome! I read it differently, but when thinking about it, it seemed like that would be an ignition source. Thank you so much for your help!!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
no problem. i am pretty familiar with how the 92/93 are wired so i really don't see how pulling ignition power from the coil would effect anything. on the 92/93 all the injectors, coil, alternator and almost everything on the engine is usually powered by the asd relay so what would it hurt to ad 1 silly thing to system with much less on it.

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no problem. i am pretty familiar with how the 92/93 are wired so i really don't see how pulling ignition power from the coil would effect anything. on the 92/93 all the injectors, coil, alternator and almost everything on the engine is usually powered by the asd relay so what would it hurt to ad 1 silly thing to system with much less on it.

I agree! So, I have a switched ground to terminal 86. I've checked that terminal 85 has 12v power coming into it. I can hear an audible click when the key is turned on, and I've tested the relay and verified that the 87/30 circuit closes. My ohmmeter is acting up, so I checked that the 30/87 circuit is opening by applying 12v to terminal 30, turning the key on and reading 12v at terminal 87. Hope that makes sense.

Is the 30/87 circuit a ground, as opposed to +12v? I do not see 12v coming into either terminal (aside from 85) I am not getting the fuel pump to run with 86 grounded and the relay opening, closing the 30/87 switch. Also still not getting power to the coil wire.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
no 30 should have power all the time and 87 should be the output to the coil and everything else. you can try powering terminal 87 of the relay connector

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I made a jumper wire from the battery pos. post and hooked it to relay terminal 30 and now everything works as it should. Coil and fuel pump get power with key and truck is running great! Not the way that is is supposed to be, but it's a step in the right direction. I checked all fuses, thinking that there could be w hold up there, to no avail.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
are you sure you are powering terminal 30 and not 87? if terminal 30 doesn't have power you might have a blown fusible link
GB9pANwse58y31RBZsdXPPFqGD5OdKRN8kcsQ=w675-h513-no.jpg
U2PfGUNh9V6AdoWm--nqA9hXpvML6s39GfbwQ=w727-h626-no.jpg

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Terminal 30 has the red wire. Would be funny (in a "I just wasted $1,300 swapping my truck over to run a carburetor" kinda way) if I just inadvertently found the issue that caused the truck to run poorly from the beginning! Or, what's more likely is I may have grounded out the coil wire with the ignition turned on, which could have fairly easily burnt up the fusible link. I'm fairly sure that's what happened.

OP
OP
nikwho

nikwho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I've got the truck running well, and figured out most of the intricacies of my swap, with one exception.

My alternator is not charging. 0 v coming from it when engine is running. I've managed to get some ProDemand wiring diagrams and looking over them. It seems that the alternator is tied into the ASD relay, though I believe to have that handled. It is also tied into the ECM and the oil pressure switch, by way of the dark blue wire. Do to a clearance issue with the new HEI distributor, I dont currently have the oil pressure switch hooked up. I intend to use a 45° or 90° 1/8" pipe fitting to allow me to hook up the oil pressure switch. However, it just doesn't seem logical that the alternator would stop charging with the oil pressure switch disconnected, or broken.

Any help with getting my sons alternator to again charge the battery would be a huge help! This is the last thing keeping this truck from driving.

Tha ks,
Nik

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the only thing i could think of that is install a 87 and older voltage regulator. i think the computer should still run the alt unless maybe there is an issue with the computers.