Auxiliary Trailer Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKLines

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Limited
Engine
Cummins HO
I just ordered a 2020 2500 Bighorn with Cumins, all towing related options to include trailer camera input, and 12 inch display. I searched the forum, but I couldn't find a thread talking about the wiring for the camera. I tow a 5th wheel and now have a funky monitor that attaches to my windshield with a suction cup and I have to have my running lights turned on in order to power the wireless camera on the trailer. A problem with the wireless is that sometimes the signal gets interfered with so I can't depend on what is on the monitor is actually the situation behind the trailer. So I'm hoping that I can set the top half of the in dash display to show the trailer camera and then have my nav in the lower half.
Does anyone have any experience with this so they can validate whether this is possible?

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I've yet to hear of anyone actually implementing the trailer camera. I ordered the wiring with my truck (build completed today, waiting on shipping). Dealer told me they'd charge me $900 to get the camera and set the truck up for it to work with Uconnect. Sorry, no thanks. Could have saved a couple hundred on the wiring if I had asked that question first. Oh well.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Better information on the various RV websites like irv.com and rv.net. Many of these website have subforums that are trailer brand specific and one can get information from other owners as to how they dealt with a particular problem.

I found that the transmittter for the camera had to be at the front of the trailer and the wires for the camera had to be run to the camera's location at the back of the trailer. Otherwise the signal was unable to get from the rear of the trailer to the front of the cab of the truck.

There are ways to splice into the rear camera for the truck and wire it into the trailer and its camera. RV repair places are most likely to know how best to do this.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
Better information on the various RV websites like irv.com and rv.net. Many of these website have subforums that are trailer brand specific and one can get information from other owners as to how they dealt with a particular problem.

I found that the transmittter for the camera had to be at the front of the trailer and the wires for the camera had to be run to the camera's location at the back of the trailer. Otherwise the signal was unable to get from the rear of the trailer to the front of the cab of the truck.

There are ways to splice into the rear camera for the truck and wire it into the trailer and its camera. RV repair places are most likely to know how best to do this.

Interesting, lose the truck rear camera and use the wiring for the rear trailer camera. Not a bad idea.