Avoid Cooper Tires Especially Discoverer at3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know much about Goodyear owning Cooper tires but I used to work at a shop that sold Cooper tires exclusively and we very rarely ever had an issue with them. I have used Cooper's on an SUV I used to own and they were the best tires ever. They happened to be the older version of the AT3 and I got fantastic mileage out of them. It's unfortunate that you're having problems with them

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I have used the Cooper Discover AT3 on my last 3 trucks and the least amount of mile 45,000 and up to 50,000 miles on a set. My trucks weren't highway driving, I have hauled over 11,000 pounds for thousands of miles, farm work, all kinds of terrains I treat my trucks with respect. The vehicles seems to have issues or the operator error, the tire that separated due to foreign object caught behind tire and worn a grove then over a short period of time the tire separates.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ko2 came out in 2015
Then apparently my mistake, and my apologies for the misinformation. So my previous tires were just BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's

After a quick search the All-Terrain T/A's came out in 1976, KO2's were introduced in 2015, as you stated. The All Terrain T/A's are what I started using as my summer tires in 1997. My current set (purchased this spring) are the second set of KO2's I have had on the Ram.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had Cooper AT3s on my Jeep. Looked great, but they became noisy after 20,000 KM and handled very poor in the greasy snow.

Now I just run Michelin everywhere. I know there are other good brands, but I won't play scrooge with tires or brakes or anything that keeps me on the road. Tires will last me 5 to 6 years, paying an extra 50 to 100 per tire is small potatoes.

Running Michelin Defender LTx right now and they're awesome. Quiet (so far!), and they work amazing in the snow too. In fact, my truck runs better in the snow now with these defenders on, than the Jeep with dedicated michelin winters, so part of that must just be the weight of the truck as well but still.

I just wish I had a tiny less bit of squirm while towing. It's that fine line between an awesome daily driver tire vs a rougher/heavier tire that handles better for towing. Not sure it's possible to have both.
I ran Michelin Defenders and they were essentially snow tires lol. I had to try to make them spin in the snow.

They're a good tire overall.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After I experienced first hand how bad the Goodyear SRAs were in the rain, I will never run another GY product again with the exception of the Endurance tires on my camper.

I'm hoping Cooper doesn't go down the toilet now because I've had really good luck with Cooper tires in the past.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do not buy coooper tires this is the second time I have been burnt by this brand in 3 months. First my 2011 jeeps cooper tires with 80% tread 1.5 yrs old went out of round on the inner edges all 4 noticed one day it started to sound like i had mud tires. Today I am driving my truck with 275/60R20 Cooper Discoverer at3 tires again about 2 yrs old 70% tread and I start to get a front end viberation looked it over SURE ENOUGH outer edge of all 4 tires out of round. I paid $1200 for these tires and loved them up until now the traction was great ect but come on... falling apart with little mileage and 70% tread I guess they dont make them like they use to........
Not saying you are to blame but have you replaced your shocks and struts? When this happened on used Ram I bought the guy had never replaced the shocks and outer edge was wrecked on the tires even though it was pretty close on alignment.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not saying you are to blame but have you replaced your shocks and struts? When this happened on used Ram I bought the guy had never replaced the shocks and outer edge was wrecked on the tires even though it was pretty close on alignment.
Yes they are ab 3 yrs old I front end level struts ect and replaced rears when I got the truck. also my 2011jeep with the same tire issue shocks are all good aswell.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a set of zeons on our Crossfire and they are fine. But on the big ram, forget it. The Discover makes a ton of noise I'll keep runnin Wrangler and when they wear out then some Dueler A/Ts

PappyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry to hear about the bad experience with Cooper tires.

I bought a 2015 Ram 1500 in 2019. The previous owner had replaced the Goodyear SRAs(ugghh) with Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires. Kind of an in-between tire with an XL rating. Just a little beefier than a standard passenger tire and you can run 50 psi in them. I ran them down to "not much left" and then bought a 2nd pair. Now, the 2nd set has about 45k and should go another 10k. No problems at all.

I do see where Cooper quit making the HT Plus so I'm not sure what I'll get next. I pull a travel trailer for maybe 6-8k miles per year so I will want the heavier tire but maybe not an E rating.

I run Goodyear Endurance tires on the RV and watch them carefully for problems. So far so good.

Elwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do not buy coooper tires this is the second time I have been burnt by this brand in 3 months. First my 2011 jeeps cooper tires with 80% tread 1.5 yrs old went out of round on the inner edges all 4 noticed one day it started to sound like i had mud tires. Today I am driving my truck with 275/60R20 Cooper Discoverer at3 tires again about 2 yrs old 70% tread and I start to get a front end viberation looked it over SURE ENOUGH outer edge of all 4 tires out of round. I paid $1200 for these tires and loved them up until now the traction was great ect but come on... falling apart with little mileage and 70% tread I guess they dont make them like they use to........
I have them on my Ram too, but I got them in 275/65R20 to be 34" instead of 33". My only complaint is I really feel that extra 17lbs on rough roads and my city MPG suffered a bit. They are quieter than the factory Goodyear street tires that came with it. 40.000 plus miles on them and still over 50% of the tread left. Maybe varies by the batch. I am switching next time though, I don't need such a heavy duty tire anymore, sold the camper and never haul anything.

wyckoffjustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased my Ram with AT3's on it, and the carfax showed they were installed at 13k miles. Just put Wildpeaks on it last week at 61k. I could have squeezed another 5k+ from the set (keeping the better 2 for spares), but was very impressed in all conditions between mud and rocks, up to 8" of snow, and nearly flooded roads. Wildpeaks so far are a bit more quiet, but I can tell they are a hair less stable at high-speed driving (80+ mph). But if it wasn't the $75 per tire savings, I would have got another set of AT3's.

Grizman914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used 2 sets of these tires and pull a travel trailer. These tires wear extremely well snd work great in rain and snow. The only other tire that works as well is the michelin xlt m/s. If tires cup and wear uneven it needs an alignment. I also saw the guy with a picture of a delaminated sidewall and thats from underinflation. People often blame tire issues from their own neglect or problems with their vehicles they aren't aware of. The coopers are extremely well made tires but that remains to be seen now that they are owned by goodyear.

BlckBrryMnShn73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
I've had several sets of Coopers,
In '93 i bought a new Silverado, decided to go with Coopers on my new rims... out of round after almost 1500 miles. Replaced them with Mastercrafts, no problems. In '96 I tried them again on my '78 AMC AMX, big mistake, right rear blew, nearly totaled the car. Bought my 2010 Ram 1500 of the lot. Got the bright idea of new rims & tires 6 months in and yup tried one more time. I didn't even get a mile out from the shop & felt like I was riding on train tracks. Took it back, they said oh, it's not the tires it's the rims. Ok. Reordered rims, they came in, put them on & same thing. This time it was just one tire. Ok, they replaced it. On & on & I was on the 9th tire replacement & they tell me just put some marbles inside the tires & they will balance out. Uh, say what now? I asked if I really looked that stupid. I went back home, swapped back to my factory set, went back up there, threw one of the "****" set into the open bay & told them to get the other 3 out of the back & stick it in their... you get the picture. Refused to give my money back, I went to corporate & got a full refund. That is, was & will be the very LAST set of Cooper tires ever! I went to Nitto & absolutely zero problems. 2 sets on the same truck & now with 130k on it I'm on my 1st set of Falkens, in my opinion the best tires I've found so far!

Attachments

• 20221002_104255 (1).jpg
    20221002_104255 (1).jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 4

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm on my 2nd set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's in LT275-65/20.
Never had a problem with the first set.
Took them off to sell with 5-6/32's left at 45K miles. I get enough on CL to pay for one of the new tires.
I have 12K on the new set-no issues. I rotate every 6K and run 45 psi normal driving.
They do get a bit noisier after 30K miles or so. No reason not to buy a 3rd set when the time comes.

Same here , AT3 XLT LT 275/70/18 E rated . I have run a lot of them , KO’s ,Toyo , Michelin etc etc . They are definitely the best handling I’ve had , plus they are great towing a 38’ fifth wheel . Couldn’t be happier, time will tell on mileage . They couldn’t be any worse than those over priced Toyo AT’s that they replaced , no more AT Toyo’s for me .

In my experience, there is not a product out there that won’t get bad mouthed .

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used 2 sets of these tires and pull a travel trailer. These tires wear extremely well snd work great in rain and snow. The only other tire that works as well is the michelin xlt m/s. If tires cup and wear uneven it needs an alignment. I also saw the guy with a picture of a delaminated sidewall and thats from underinflation. People often blame tire issues from their own neglect or problems with their vehicles they aren't aware of. The coopers are extremely well made tires but that remains to be seen now that they are owned by goodyear.
I agree alot of the time its due to neglect I am a mechanic alignment on both of my vehicles near perfict. I keep pressures at 33psi and being the rear ones went bad to there is no alignment on the rear lmao. I guess i just got un lucky got 2 bad sets of tires but personally im never wasting money on coopers again.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

BlckBrryMnShn73,​

Sounds like you had more of an issue with the dealer/installer. How they installed/balanced and handled your tire concerns. A lot of tire techs are outright morons. And there are some really knowledgeable tire techs too. There's a lot of turnover in that field. It's difficult to know what kind of tech you're getting unless you know the shop well. But I sympathize with your tire issues. Been there...

dbc105

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, A million tires get sold but you only read about the few that have problems. Same with everything else, people don't post about things they've bought except when there is an issue. Fact is Goodyear is the only American Tire Company left. They make several different brands with Cooper being one of them. I've had tires from other manufactures also but I have had my best luck from tires that have "Made in USA" on one sidewall. You can get USA made Michelins, Firestones, Continentals, etc. as a lot of other brands have tire plants here. I have a set of 65,000 mile Michelins that are ready to replace and have 93,000 miles on them. I have gotten the same good service from Goodyears and have gotten as many as 60,000 miles out of a set of Walmart Brand Douglas Tires that are made by Goodyear and are only a 40-45,000 mile tire. Things to make sure of is manufacturing date and location. Both are on the sidewall. A couple of the post pictures I saw looked like tires that may have sat in the warehouse way too long, and yes rubber will age just sitting.

spelunk68

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like Cooper but after being bought by Good Year I won't touch them
Yeah I have gone through so many of the goodyear tires they used to come with, they are like the starter ink cartridges lol My 2022 backcountry came with Falken Wildpeak's lets hope they fare better. However if they dont I am looking for an excuse to max out the tire size for the rims and something a little more aggressive. I had gotten 60k miles out of the mastercraft cheapest mud and snow(the tread did not look like mud and snow but anyways) road tires that fit the 21 inch rims, I was blown away. I think they were Mastercraft Courser MSR Tires which were called snow tires so odd could even be studded.

Last edited:

regulator54

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT Plus, Crew Cab 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just my two cents but I have been extremely happy with my AT3 4S Coopers. Far superior to the BFG KOs I was running which were very slippery in wet conditions once a bit worn down. Coopers are much better in the rain and snow.....and quieter too!