Avoid Cooper Tires Especially Discoverer at3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yeah, winter is fast approaching and the boy's truck needed new skins. It had a set of Cooper tires on it...they were an older tire, and the back tires were wore right down and the fronts had enough tread...

I think the back tires wore out faster because of the posi/anti-spin differential in there. Told the boys not to hammer on the throttle pulling out anymore....LOL....right.
So you basically told them to do it lol .....

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have Cooper Discoverer AT on my Ram LT265/70R17 121S Load range E. Just under $700 for the set at WalMart. Have 63,000 miles on them now, with a little life left in them.

Elvira

Reaction score
I have Cooper at3 4s on my Ram, 275 60 20...could not be happier. Tried many different tires over the years and these have been perfect and the price was a great perk too.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a set of 265/70/17 SST left over from my 2006 CTD that I used for winter snow tires, I loved them as they lasted 5 years in the mid west winters and still have good amount of tred on them, so I'm surprised to hear how bad Cooper tires have gotten, I was looking to put a set of AT3 Copper tires on my 22 when these Firestone wear out...

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have Cooper Discoverer AT on my Ram LT265/70R17 121S Load range E. Just under $700 for the set at WalMart. Have 63,000 miles on them now, with a little life left in them.
This was the best deal on an AT you could get. They are no longer being sold.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
coopers were number one this forum in this poll, michelin 2 and for a value wild peak is wildy popular. For a traditional "truck" at I like my bfg's. Wife's car has always got michelin, whenever I buy a tire it has always been bfg. The tire guy I really respect prefers toyo as his choice. All good tires imo, it is sad that cooper sold, but it is what it is.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
General Grabber ATX was #1 @ Tire Rack when I bought several years ago (for AT category).

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeep, they made it official last February ... sucks because I loved the Cooper STT Pros ... now there is no way I will ever buy a set of Coopers again ...

I just can't believe the FTC still lets these mega-companies continue to combine. I thought those days were over? Same as the Italians taking over Chrysler for pennies on the dollar, then the French jumping in to ensure what little is left is wrecked.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Try to put them in your cart and order. I can’t.
Yea, coming up out of stock. That blows.

Maybe to do with the Crap-Year acquisition, hope not.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a set of 4 Cooper AT3 4S on my ram too....they were GREAT...until they started checking and cracking all over the place at only about 15k miles or so. I was FED up and since switched to Pirellis.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought 3 sets of Cooper tires this summer. We'll see how they hold up. Now ..these tires I bought on 'price' vs quality, bc they were for seldom-driven vehicles (only a few thou miles/yr), to replace rotted tires. So I don't expect them to be as good as a pr of Michelin/Bridgestones, or other premium brands. They'll all rot off before they wear out, I'm sure. However, they balanced out well and they DO go down the road great. In fact, the last set of those inexpensive A/T's balanced out super-great ...one a Hunter Road Force balancer ..which gives an initial and final balance score on the tires. A set of 10-ply Coopers I bought have been a great tire so far ..but time will tell.

I have had in the past some Coopers that went out-of-balance after a while ..but it could have been the car they were on too. Maybe a bad shock, IDK. One thing I HAVE noticed in the past is that Cooper tires wouldn't harden or weather-check nearly as much as some other brands. Therefore if a guy had them on a classic car, or vehicle that you don't drive very often, you could go a dozen years or more and they'd still look just fine. Whereas some Michelins I've owned would weather crack in literally 5-6 years. For a DD that's ok, but for something you drive infrequently, you want to get your use out of them. Must have been the type of rubber compound cooper was using, IDK. Hope that hasn't changed, but we all know what happens when companies get bought out. They lay off duplicate staff/engineering, etc. Then usually quality suffers. But at least an asian company didn't buy them.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL ....I put a set of those cheapie Walmart Coopers on my 2012 Ram a month ago. :waytogo: They look great, priced right, quiet and smooth. Had them Road-Force balanced by a GM dealer, they balanced out real nice with hardly any weights needed. To me, a good balance job by competent people is worth a few bucks more. I refuse to go to a tire shop where I can't stand there and WATCH the guys changing or balancing my tires! You have some techs who are great, and a lot who have no clue whatsoever (I started changing/balancing tires when I was a teenager and still have balancer/changer). When some people talk about tire problems, I wonder how many of them were root-caused by incompetent installers on day one??

These Cooper A/T's are a 115-rated tire, not a 10 ply e-rate tire. Therefore it has a softer sidewall. Great for highway driving which is what this truck gets (no hauling really). On this seldom-driven Ram, they'll likely 'rot' off long before they wear out. Always choose your tires based on your needs. I've noticed on past Coopers they haven't seemed to dry-rot or weather check very much, even after a dozen yrs sitting outside. But we'll see how these go.

New Tires Cooper Discoverer_Installed.jpg

I'll keep the forum up to date if anything odd happens with them, but so far I couldn't be happier. There are a LOT of vehicles up in our area which have Coopers on them, due to a large and multi-state (and aggressive) distributor in the area. I've run about all the tire brands you can list ..I've had a few bad apples, but mostly have had good tires from most brands. Michilens and Japanese-owned brands seem to have consistently worked out the best for me over the years.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Had Cooper touring on my Honda Civic......only got about 20k on them......broken belts on 2 of them & the ride was like crap.........back to Michelin

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, if you want a premium tire, you go Michelin. I've had several sets on vehicles over the yrs. I've had a couple sets of Bridgestones, and also great luck with Yokahama's too. Just like anything in life, you (usually) get what you pay for. Cooper has some higher-end sets too like the AT3's/4's. And classic car guys have had great results from Cooper Cobra Radial's.

That said, sometimes 'good enough' will do for a specific vehicle, depending on needs, use and, budget. You don't always need a Cadillac to go to the local grocery store. Coopers (and other bargain brands) might be the right 'fit' for some people in many instances. They don't all fail prematurely. But over time, I've had more issues with Coopers than other 'better brand' tires. When I bought my Ram (used) it had no-name Chinese tires on it. I was going to replace them right away, but honestly they ran wonderful ..till they just wore out. So you never know.

But in general terms, if you want a no-compromise, no-risk tire consistently (key word), fork out the extra $$ and go with the top tier mfgrs like those I mentioned above. Esp for a DD vehicle. They're usually a better *value* in the long run if you buy them consistently than going cheap tires, esp if you only get 50% of the life out of a particular set of cheap tires. Don't delude yourself into thinking a set of really cheap tires is going to "consistently' be the quality of Michelin's which costs 50-60% more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963