Awd 1500 humming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grizman404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Picked up a 04 1500 laramie 5.7 a few months ago, hate to say I overlooked the fact it was awd till about 3 weeks after having it I went to swap to 4x4 to test it out on my brother's property. Long story short I have noticed a loud hum around 40-45, but seems to go away after. I replaced axel bearings and seals in the rear end and I replaced the water pump shortly after purchasing. It doesn't really sound like a pinion bearing in my opinion, sounds closer to the cab. Are the awd trucks just noisy in this regard, or common issues I should know? Have tried to do research on how these transmissions/transfer cases operate as an awd with no luck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didnt even know a AWD version of th 3rd gen exsisted until i looked it up looks to be very uncommon my jeeps with awd always had a small hum but if its loud could be anything from bearings to tires.

OP
OP
G

Grizman404

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Iv had the thought myself on the tires but it stops when I let off the throttle, and seems to go away at speeds past 45 or 50. It's almost like rear end noise without it being the rear end. Just had it gone through and everything checked out fine there.. has me stumped.. thought of Jacking it up and putting it in gear just haven't had a good day to do it yet.