Axel Shaft 98 5.2 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joker32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I busted my u joint on the axel shaft and the boot. I got a new one started putting it in and can not get it in all the way any tips or tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyruby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
U joint? Boot? All the way in? Maybe youre talking a CV joint if so i have no dodge specific experience but i know all the CV shafts ive replaced were held into the differential with a c-clip that just required a good tug to remove and a good hammer blow to install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe just need to align the spline Jack up other side and rotate. Assuming you have the right shaft for your application.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

patrickocake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
An axel shaft is not the same as a CV axel. The trick to making sure the axel is in all the way is not really a trick as much as luck. Check out a video on YouTube regarding ball joint replacement via "1-A Auto". This guy is funny, but he'll tell you how he does it.

I had to replace my ball joints and this axel was a P.I.T.A.! But a little twisting and faith....it went in.

If the bearing does not mount flush, then it's not all the way in.

You can pop the cap off the box that the spline slides into to make sure that the bearing for the 4x4 is where it should be.

Sometimes if you don't jack the front end up high enough that bearing in the box will roll forward. Just raise it up more so the bearing stays out. After that try it again, and don't forget to talk dirty to it...Rams love that lol