Axle Swap Or Axle Upgrades For Rock Crawling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lava

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2 L V8
I currently own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 ST. This comes with a Dana 44 in the front and a Chrysler 9.25 in the rear. First off, this is my first ever vehicle I am still a teen and money gets really tight when it comes to modifying my truck. Now coming to my question, I have heard that the Chrysler 9.25 is terrible when it comes to off roading. Should I try and find a better Axel in a junk yard/ pick n pull if so what vehicle would be the best to swap it from? or should I try and beef up this Chrysler 9.25 and if so what should I do to it then. Overall, I currently am working on getting the fundamentals for rock crawling such as lockers, bigger tires, lift, bumpers, winch...

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If going bigger tires wait till you can afford selectable lockers and regear at the same time
I like ARB air lockers but eaton make a nice electric locker
at least selectable in the front to make steering less fight

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I owned my 97 I was looking at running the 3/4 ton axles off a gasser. Dana 60. Front and back. Minor modifications to get it installed. New leaf springs perched welded to the axles can be cut off old axles and reused. And the driveshaft would need to be cut and a new end welded on for the u joint

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I have heard that the Chrysler 9.25 is terrible when it comes to off roading...

"You heard" ????? Was it U tube or facist book? Swirling Sewage tanks of festering misinformation.

You heard wrong, ok.

If anything the front Dana 44 is marginal in certain situations, and becomes more of a liability as the tire size increases. About 99% pf that is due to the uber small axle U joints, which are also found in a lot of the 3/4 and 1 ton axles, up to 2002.
The difference is that for a bunch of bucks, you can can upgrade the Dana 60 with 32 spline axles and the larger axle joints

Having said that, I knew of dozens of guys back in the day that did quite well with the factory axles even a couple crazy characters that ran 37 inch tires with a D-44/9:25 combo. They simply carried spare axles for the front D-44. And got good at changing

The rear 9.25 has a weak point. It's pinion bearing was never designed for uber sized tires and high horsepower. With regular maintenance, it will last well over 150 k on a stock or mildly modified truck. The weak factory LSD usually causes it's demise...perhaps that's another story.

Learning the "fundamentals" of rock crawling can be done with the truck you have now. It will teach you two of the most valuable lessons you will need to know, A. How to take an Elephant through the eye of needle, and B. How to judge an obstacle before breaking your truck trying to. Actually there's a 3rd lesson. How to tell your buds to "f off" when they try to goad you past lesson B.
You'll learn to pick a line through an obstacle, listen to spotters you trust, and only them, and decide mods based on what may limit your truck.

In my instance, I was able to drive my truck through some pretty interesting stuff until I bottomed out the entire truck sliding down a small waterfall. All I had was a front coil spacer and 285 AT tires. I learned a lot those 4 years, and was impressed on what the truck would do, more than what it would not. I also learned to listen to my spotter the hard way!

My advice is finding a group of experienced off roaders who mod their own vehicles and ask to tag along. People that do their own work... not use a card to pay others to do it. They should be honest about your vehicle and what it can do. Sometimes you might just want to ride along, or take the bypasses.
You'll also want to buy a good high strength recovery strap, (not a tow strap) flashlights, first aid kit, perhaps even a high lift jack and learn how to use it! Some ORV parks and off road clubs require a CB radio, so you'll need that.
Make sure your shocks, ball joints, U joints, and tie rods are tight and replace anything that is border line. Reliability is key when your in the middle of nowhere. So a small bag of tools, and a few spare pieces is a must. Right now, having everything in a good condition is a start.

From there you can go hog wild. Farther down the trail.

It can be quite addicting, and I enjoyed my time in the desert and up in the mountains of Arizona.