Back in a Powerwagon - slow build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So with the crazy used car pricing, especially with wranglers, I ditched my 2021 JLUR (made money on it) and traded in my 2013 Ram 1500 for a 2019 Powerwagon.
Owned a Powerwagon before - Had my 07 from 2007 to 2014.

Got rid of my 2014 Ram 2500 again due a crazy offer, which then led to buying a 1500 (first time having a 1/2 ton till 2007) to fill my void of not having a truck. lol - with all this once I bought my 2019 PW meant that I have owned 3 trucks since Dec 2020. Didn't mind having the 1500 since we weren't towing much anymore, then my mom passed suddenly and we inherited my childhood home up north. So now we are towing again, nothing major, but it was a good excuse to upgrade to a 2500.

Powerwagon plans:
1.5" Thuren level kit with Fox shocks
.75-1" rear coil spacers to keep a small rack forward
37" tires
Front window tint
Not sure on more of a rockrail down the road
Underbody armor
lol - I'm sure there will be more as time progresses.

My old 07 PW
PW pic 15 old powerwagon.JPG

My lifted Ram 1500 sitting next to my new PW
PW pic 1 new and old.jpg

Not sold on the headache rack - especially with the spacer on bottom making it sit up so high.
PW pic 2 new at home.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, that headache rack looks way out of place on there. Personal preference of course but I'd ditch it if it was mine.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep Headache rack is gone, and installed a soft cover since we are making 4.5hr one way trips up north to our other house.

So last week I brought my new wheels and tires in for shop to mount and balance, and I told them to not mount on truck, put back in bed. Well I show up to the shop and they mounted them on the truck. Owner did say me messed up and would remove them. I drove it around a bit and didn't have any rub, though I know offroad yeah it will rub. So for now left em on, and will motivate me to do my levelling kit sooner. Yep I can trim the rear of the front wheel well liner, but wife isn't totally sold on that method. Also used my AEV procal snap and reprogrammed for the 37s, as well as lowered the TPMS.

PW pic 14 on 37s.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think a lot of us morph into the same equipment at the same age ranges. Nice ride.

Is that a 2500 or 1500?

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking truck! You doing the leveling kit yourself? I'm debating doing mine but after taking nearly all day to do their rear track bar I might just hire it out...don't ask it was like 110 out, my drill batteries kept overheating and I would have to put them in the freezer, along with myself...lol....I need a shop or at least a garage that can fit this thing.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if I will do myself, I mean it is really straight forward on the install, as long as my jack stands go high enough - lol. Would still need to get it aligned regardless.
Had a week of vacation and put on some miles during that time, pulling down some respectable MPG per the display, though I need to get back to tire shop, due to vibration in the passenger front.

I did get the front tires to rub on a turn with some articulation and 6 people in the cab....... So this should hopefully motivate me to get the 1.5" leveling kit installed sooner than later. Also received notification that my Randy Ellis light bar should arrive today. Then shopping for what lights I want to add up front.

Ever since using the AEV Procal, I get a sporadic service 4 wheel drive light on, but it goes away on the next vehicle restart. Believe in the past thousand miles it has come on 3 times.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So still getting this Service 4wd on occasion, though goes away with next vehicle start. The last time this came in I tried shifting to 4wd, with no luck, nor will rear locker engage. Still seems electricalish, and believe in the front axle disconnect. Checked wiring a little and didn't see any obvious = dealer stated I could try bringing in if/when light comes on next.

Light bar arrived and now trying to choose light option. Wowsa, they ain't cheap are they. For time being might settle on KC slim LEDs, 2 sets, and put amber lenses on one set.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did a little upgrade to the front end - Thuren 1.5" levelling kit. Still has a little rake, so I am happy with that, and will probably not do anything different in the rear.
Also adjusted headlights down a smidge to I'm not that person blinding oncoming traffic.

Probably leaning towards Amp Powersteps to keep the wife happy :)
Next up shopping for some LEDs for the light bar - leaning towards the KC slim lights with amber covers

PW bling.jpg

PW on 37s.jpg

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
amazing how a 1.5" leveling kit makes your 37's look small. How does it ride with the new coils and shocks? looks good.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have a 4.5 road trip starting Thursday to our place up North, so that will be a good test. Some bucky sections of the interstate, and once we get to our house will have some terrain to play on. I have a messed up new tire, that is giving vibration currently, and sucks won't get that swapped out in time before this trip. It still looks close at full lock and articulation that could some "rubbage", but will have to test as well.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Road trip went well, I personally don't feel much of a different with the new coils and shocks, but to me it as long as it wasn't worse than before it is a win. I was able to get my two new tires installed the morning we left on our trip - soooo nice not having a vibration anymore :)

As mentioned before this intermittent Serv 4wd, hasn't came back in over a week, so just waiting for that one to pop up again.

Was able to fit in a job interview for a company by our place up north, now fingers crossed to see if I get an offer. If I do, and accept, that would mean we sell our house here in WI, payoff all our bills, and have no debt with alot of money in the bank (since we don't owe anything on our Upper Michigan place).

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Randy Ellis light bar installed, yeah that was fun - lol. Hardest part was getting the tow hook bolts lined back up when reinstalling. Especially the front one for me, thank god the neighbor was bored and wandered over to help line things up, the extra set of hands was very helpful. Now on to pod shopping for the bar........

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Randy Ellis light bar installed, yeah that was fun - lol. Hardest part was getting the tow hook bolts lined back up when reinstalling. Especially the front one for me, thank god the neighbor was bored and wandered over to help line things up, the extra set of hands was very helpful. Now on to pod shopping for the bar........
Nice build. I have the Randy Ellis light bar. Check out my build page.

Attachments

• 4459D25B-552B-4525-A8A9-A7EE592D60F9.jpeg
    4459D25B-552B-4525-A8A9-A7EE592D60F9.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1DBC4BCE-4AB1-4006-B5D0-68191BD26D43.jpeg
    1DBC4BCE-4AB1-4006-B5D0-68191BD26D43.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Order two sets of the 6" KC slim lights - LED, and 1 set of amber covers. Should arrive this week, but will be heading out of town for a bit. But on a positive note, will be wheeling the wagon for one day. lol - speaking of wheeling, was at my friends pig roast Saturday, and he had my try out some of his tractor trails in his woods. Yep a wee bit tight, but we survived, only scraped front bumper pushing a dead tree, and side step kissed (lightly) a tree as we turned.

Impressed the passengers with some of the hills we climbed in the field and woods. Had to use winch once since we couldn't pop over a downed tree on the trail. Had a few times the transmission indicator forgot what gear it was in, almost like it thought it went to neutral or something. Had to select to park, then drive and all was well. One hill climb we went up truck stalled, coasted back down and pushed start button. It tried to start but no bueno. Second attempt and it fired up like nothing ever happened. Thinking some electrical gremlin is present in this truck, so time will tell.

grimmecm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did a little upgrade to the front end - Thuren 1.5" levelling kit. Still has a little rake, so I am happy with that, and will probably not do anything different in the rear.
Also adjusted headlights down a smidge to I'm not that person blinding oncoming traffic.

Probably leaning towards Amp Powersteps to keep the wife happy :)
Next up shopping for some LEDs for the light bar - leaning towards the KC slim lights with amber covers

View attachment 468724

View attachment 468725
Looks good!

B88i45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Not sure if you've messed with your battery clamps with the work you've done but double check them. I had the stalling issue too, found the positive was not tight. Get in there and really crank on them to check. There's several "joints" to the positive cable. Also, not sure if the newer trucks have the fuse box issue but check all your fuses to make sure they are fully seated. Supposed to be a dealer inspection on delivery of a new truck but is easily missed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963