BACK UP CAMERA NOT WORKING ANYMORE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatsoMio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BACK UP CAMERA 56054164Ax - RAM 1500 5,7L – 4WD - 2011/12 - 56054164Ax

Backup Camera does not work anymore, comes on and is off again . . . .
Check if there is power to the camera connector in your tailgate.

Check the fusebox at M14 - 20A fuse (yellow)
Just to make sure it is not a fuse

Do not take all connectors apart - try the following one first

It's the camera itself . . it is a lousy manufacturing problem (the pins inside soldered to the camera board brake loose) – almost impossible for the regular guy to see and fix this problem, but keep reading . . . I am sure one or the other will work on this and save themselves 300,00 to 500,00$

have your grlfr or wife or anybody sit in the car, start your engine, put it in reverse, then turn the key off one notch (this prevents any wrong move that she/he rolls over you). This still keeps all backup functions working (including your no view camera)

all lights are still on - - rear backup is engaged - (and yes, your bell is ringing of the hook)

take the cable close to the camera (inlet) - - there you can see, there is a plug in into the camera. but this entire plug is double sealed and plasticized.

I pushed the cable (take it tightly) close to the camera and push it in. More then likely will there be a 1mm or so gap - Once you keep holding it (pushed in) your camera should show up on the screen again.

I took the entire molded casing of with a carpet or razor knife, a scalpell does better, it is easier to handle (be careful) there are two side clips, they are supposed to hold the connector onto the five or six pins which are soldered to the board (these came all loose) and they do not stay to make contact. More then likely does that have to do with the opening and closing of the tailgate. . .

I cut all the plastic molded parts of and the plug came off - you can then see the board and the pin's receptacles (just little soldering dots on the board). The pins are more then likely stuck inside the connectore on the cable.

Here it would be advised not to wriggle too much as you might connect to the adjacent pin and fry your board - that might cost you between 300,00 and 500,00$ . .

The solution might be to check the entry cable which wiggles a little . . hold it in place (pushed in) make sure you have a camera viewing, put a drop or two of super glue on the gap of the cable and its molded housing and see if it holds. It does the job – if only one or two pins are broken, but it is only for a short time. . . I found that out numerous times . . .

If you fried the board (not that you see it) you certainly can smell the little burned plastic and chip smell . . .

Another advise, when you take the camera of, take it to your workbench and use a magnifying lamp and tweezers to hold the entire thing in place. This is not a rough workshop job

UPDATE - 2022-06-06

After cutting away the hard plastic mold around the connector to the camera, I realized that in fact there where pins on the camera board. But these pins where all broken of at the soldering place of the board and where stuck in the connector itself. I don't know if you can see enough in the pictures. For an electronic guy to solder these pins into place again, should not be a problem at all - it is a very fine job and most likely has to be performed with a magnifying glass/lamp

The following pictures show the housing being cut apart (not really recommended – but there is no other way to get to the broken pins)

1) cut away all mold-in-place plastic which sealed the entire inside hermetically of
2) the cut away pin connector with the pins (which where supposed to be on the board) still stuck into place
3) one of the pins pulled out of the pinholder (the last one to the right)

That is what you have to solder back into place

Engineering wise: the board should have had pinholes in it where these little pins would have been soldered into place, giving them a lot more hold, instead of just superficial holding, with the result that after the 3 year warranty these pins brake of and that is where your intermittent contact comes from
(besides a broken fuse) which is more then likely not the case

If anyone is up to this task to solder these pins back into place, I would like to hear and maybe repair mine (I do not have the soldering station to do this fine operation)

Thanks for leaving your comments and I hope this helps others

Here the original Product Description

Rearview Backup Camera

This New Mopar OEM factory condition Rearview Backup Camera is compatible with the following vehicles:

2009 - 2012 Dodge Ram 1500

2009 - 2012 Dodge Ram 2500

2009 - 2012 Dodge Ram 3500

Manufacturers Part #: 56054164AD

Product information / Technical Details​

Manufacturer

‎Mopar

Brand

‎Mopar

Item Weight

‎1 pounds

Package Dimensions

‎7 x 7 x 4 inches

Is Discontinued By Manufacturer

‎No

Manufacturer Part Number

‎56054164AD.4

OEM Part Number

‎56054041AD,

56054041AC,

56054041AB,

56054164AC,

56054164AB,

56054164AA,

56054164AD,

Attachments

• 20220606_164523[1].jpg
    20220606_164523[1].jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220606_164744[1].jpg
    20220606_164744[1].jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220606_165000[1].jpg
    20220606_165000[1].jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220606_164610[1].jpg
    20220606_164610[1].jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 18

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thank you for the write up and information. Mine has been intermittently going out. Mostly works but sometimes just a black screen, sometimes a scrambled mess of colors. I suspect this is the issue. I’m ok at soldering but no expert. If I end up giving it a shot I’ll come back and post the results.