Back up camera testing help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my original 10 year old back up camera had deteriotion inside the lense. I ordered a $40 chinese replacement on Ebay which worked but didnt have a fisheye lense and also the contrast was horrible. I replaced both wiring harness in the tail gate since they looked old. Anyways, I had the idea of switching the oem camera chip into the ebay camera. Unfortunately the lense couldn't focus in a non fish eye case. However after all this I reassembled both cameras back to original and planned to just use the ebay cam. When everything was reinstalled I just got a blue screen and my bcm said error u0264. I checked the fuse and had power at the at the fuse. Checked power and ground at the harness, which was good. I also had 12 volts on the lin bus line.

My question is, is there anything I can test inside the camera or further on the vehicle before I accept that I killed both cameras and buy a new one? I just dont understand how both cameras are now giving me blue screens. I could understand if I killed one, but both? Makes me nervous if I didnt do something more severe to the bcm or radio?

Reference sites

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
at the bottom of the tailgate there is a connection
the pigtail begins at the camera & ends by the license plate
Where that pigtail ends, the next pigtail can be found by looking behind the drivers side rear tire, tucked up against the trucks frame.
If ANY of those connections are loose or have a bent pin, you will get a blue screen

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
at the bottom of the tailgate there is a connection
the pigtail begins at the camera & ends by the license plate
Where that pigtail ends, the next pigtail can be found by looking behind the drivers side rear tire, tucked up against the trucks frame.
If ANY of those connections are loose or have a bent pin, you will get a blue screen

Yes I replaced both pig tails in the tail gate, the large one because mine was in terrible shape at the connection you're refering too and also the small one because there was an updated part number available.

Anyways, I ended up getting a used oem camera off ebay which solved the problem, just in case anyone in the future ever reads this. DONT buy the knock off camera, its not worth the price trust me!