Back up camera with RA1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
Guys when I switch out the head unit what do I do about the camera. The monitor is in my rear view mirror how does this work

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The harness connection has a harnes to move the 3 camera wires to the radios C-1 connector that is plug & play . I think it's pretty cheep $$! Like 30 bucks .

Are you upgrading the head unit to an oem radio like the RA2 5.0 Or the RA3/4 8.4" Radio?

Www.harness-connection.us

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The harness connection has a harnes to move the 3 camera wires to the radios C-1 connector that is plug & play . I think it's pretty cheep $$! Like 30 bucks .

The Harness Connection Home

Hope this helps !
Can you help me out a little... I click on that link and have the option to go to 8.4 or lighting... neither of which I want.

I am replacing my stock RA1 radio with a Pioneer. The Pioneer has a backup cam option. I know I can tap the wires and install my own RCA, but I'm curious about a harness connection that would make a cleaner install...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm , so you have the back up cam in the mirror now right ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you help me out a little... I click on that link and have the option to go to 8.4 or lighting... neither of which I want.

I am replacing my stock RA1 radio with a Pioneer. The Pioneer has a backup cam option. I know I can tap the wires and install my own RCA, but I'm curious about a harness connection that would make a cleaner install...
Hit the Brows all products

www.harness-connection.us

cdb5aba2fa04e85a8aa8de8a21823bfc.jpg

You do have the BU Cam in the mirror now right ?
If so then this is what you need .

fdb960acba6f429fef4fde22fa8c962a.jpg

The back up cam should work in your new Radio , but I'm pretty sure the active gridlines will not move , and maybe not even be displayed ...

Hope this helps !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you considered upgrading to the OEM RA4 8.4 Navigation Touchscreen radio with HD , color schemes HVAC controls, real time traffic , weather and more .

OP
OP
Buckeye2019

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
I received the harness from HC and installed today. everything is working perfectly. Even installed the footwell lights with the harness from HC

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I received the harness from HC and installed today. everything is working perfectly. Even installed the footwell lights with the harness from HC
Great , glad to hear !

Does your back up cam have moving grid lines ?
What radio did you end up going with Sir ?

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks R.L.K., somehow I never found that when I tried searching before. Buckeye, I'm curious to know as well if you have the grid lines.

Did you take the wires from this harness and convert them to an RCA cable, or do these wires feed directly into the wiring harness for the radio and work with an aftermarket head unit?

OP
OP
Buckeye2019

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
I had a ra1 converted it all to the RA4. Yes I do have back up grids. I tapped into the rear view mirror clip it is on the passenger side open door and pop off the panel to the side of your glove box. It's wires 8 9 10 I believe then then I ran them to 31 32 33 to the clip on the radio.

OP
OP
Buckeye2019

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
I did the ra4 conversion and yes the lines move. I did not convert to RCA the factory radio does not use RCA. If you have a factory back up camera now and it is in your rear view mirror the connection is behind the glove box. Open the passenger side door and pop off the panel and there it is ports 8 9 10. Go to the harness connection and they have a harness for that.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe spoon059 is installing a non OEM radio that has a RCA adapter for the back up cam ... not sure how that would work with the OEM backup cam being factory installed .
Maybe he could do the www.harness-connection.us
Mirror to C-1 radio connector kit and the radio will recognize it that way , not sure , either way I'd say he would likely not have the Active " moving " gridlines or no lines at all unless his radio establishes lines in its own software . Depends on the radio , I'm pretty sure some aftermarket radios do interact with the OEM back up cameras , but not all aftermarket radios do ....

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You are correct RLK. I guess I'll find out! I'll still have the display in my mirror with the grid lines if I NEED it. I just find the OEM camera display lacking when backing up to trailers. My Tundra had a much better camera display in the mirror, so I could perfectly back up to a trailer. I find the Ram mirror display is awful dark, to the point its hard to see exactly where the ball and coupler are when they are close.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are correct RLK. I guess I'll find out! I'll still have the display in my mirror with the grid lines if I NEED it. I just find the OEM camera display lacking when backing up to trailers. My Tundra had a much better camera display in the mirror, so I could perfectly back up to a trailer. I find the Ram mirror display is awful dark, to the point its hard to see exactly where the ball and coupler are when they are close.
Hope the back up cam shows up in your radio , I only have the RA2 5.0 OEM radio and I can back up to my boat perfectly the first time everytime .
You may be able to keep the display in the mirror and also have it in the radio at the same time if you'd like , I've not seen this before , but if your radio will accept the radios C1 connector with the harness connection www.harness-connection.us mirror to radio harness spliced in at the connector behind the passenger air vent and keeping it 100% connected to the mirror ? If your aftermarket radio doesn't require the RCA for the cam .

If you pull this off post pics , I think it would be cool or at least different