Back wheel smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Friedchicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, already dealing with other problems on this truck, everyday something else....so today after about 20 miles driving in tow/haul mode, had a cabinet 200lbs max strapped down in the bed. Stopped at a light and smelled something burning. Horrible smell. Thought that cant be my truck....it was! Pulled over, back driver side wheel smoking bad. Got under it, looked like it was coming off the caliper or pads. After it cooled down I got the wheel off, everything looked normal, rotor spun thru the caliper easy 1/4 inch or so in both directions, so caliper not hung up??....what should I check? Had this truck for a month off a lot, all kinds of noises and ticks, smoke now, but everything seems normal, like jeez just be broken so I can fix u and be done. First dodge ever, starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth after only a month
2011 1500 4.7 156k

OP
OP
Friedchicken

Friedchicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check you e-brake shoes on the inside of your rotor one of them may possibly have been the cause.
I'll check it out, if my e brake was hung up, wouldnt the rotor be stuck and not move like it did tho? I always check e brake release before I leave. I did today even

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
it could be free now but may not have been while driving. Also how do you brakes feel? could possibly be a leak and the smoke was the burn off of fluid

OP
OP
Friedchicken

Friedchicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was dry down there. Brakes worked fine, seemed a little sluggish power wise tho. I put it in reverse and hit the brakes after. No more smoke but could still smell it from the driver seat

OP
OP
Friedchicken

Friedchicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didnt smoke at all on the way home (30 miles). Didnt smell or anything. I wonder if les Schwab just used a gun and over tightened the lugs way too much?? I took it there the day before.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you hit the ebrake before theres a good chance the pad was sticking inside my bet there is rust build up in there. After a little driving it popped back into place and all is fine. I would suggest not touching it again till you get the rotor off to check it out inside there

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, already dealing with other problems on this truck, everyday something else....so today after about 20 miles driving in tow/haul mode, had a cabinet 200lbs max strapped down in the bed. Stopped at a light and smelled something burning. Horrible smell. Thought that cant be my truck....it was! Pulled over, back driver side wheel smoking bad. Got under it, looked like it was coming off the caliper or pads. After it cooled down I got the wheel off, everything looked normal, rotor spun thru the caliper easy 1/4 inch or so in both directions, so caliper not hung up??....what should I check? Had this truck for a month off a lot, all kinds of noises and ticks, smoke now, but everything seems normal, like jeez just be broken so I can fix u and be done. First dodge ever, starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth after only a month
2011 1500 4.7 156k
Please don't let an eight year old truck with 156,000 miles, leave a bad taste in your mouth about Dodge / Ram! ...besides, you NEVER know how it was treated before you picked it up... I TRULY do however, hope you get things figured out and that ALL is ok!

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The caliper could have hung up, some rust could have stuck a pad, or the parking brakes could be the culprit.

I replaced rear pads, rotors, and parking brakes on my truck in my driveway a couple of weeks ago. When I pulled the rotors, a lining on a parking brake shoe had separated from the shoe on both sides. If this happened its possible the loose lining was wedged between the shoe and the rotor causing heat, friction, and smoke.

Those parking brakes are a huge pain in the ****. Be sure to check the lever between the cable and the shoes. They like to rust and won't actually release when you pull the release handle.