Back wheels make a high pitch squeal when backing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sciphydude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
I have had my 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab for about three weeks. The truck is in pristine shape with only 30k miles on it.

I have noticed a steady high pitch squeal coming from the rear when I back up. I do not hear it with forward motion. It is not exclusive to when I use the brakes. I have an appointment to get it checked out. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knowledge on what this could be.

I have read about worm wheel bearing and brake pads and rotors, but I only hear the steady squeal when backing up.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had vehicles that had a pad indicator that would do this when the pads were getting low. Would only do it in reverse.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Something with calipers, could be warning strip, could be damaged rotor even pitted rotor, calipers could be dragging despite brake on or off. If it is this it can be very common to only hear it in reverse and not drive. In the end, temperature determines if it is an issue, as long as the calipers or brake pads arent getting too hot, this is just an annoyance, unless it is something else. Do they salt the roads in your area? Could be wheel bearings as well. Something small would be my guess.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your parking brake shoes could be getting stuck very common.

OP
OP
S

sciphydude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
Took it in and had them look at it when I got the recalls caught up. They said it was the rear brake pads, and I had them replaced. It was not so bad. Only about $268. The mopar website had some coupons that I could use.