Backing up and brake is applied for no reason.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshFink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still Looking
Engine
Still Looking
I'm sure I'll get a quick answer to this. I was at the dealership test driving a 2020 1500 Limited. Love the vehicle but I was backing up and there was nothing behind me that I could see and all of a sudden it felt like the brake was applied with force. I assumed it was a safety feature but I saw nothing. I chalked it up to maybe I just missed whatever it was.

The dealer let me bring home the truck for 2 days to test it out. As I'm backing up my driveway, two different times, it did the same thing. The brake slammed on, made me stop and I was the only thing in my driveway half way up.

What could be causing this? it's kind of frustrating to have a vehicle with 50 miles on it do this and it's not inspiring confidence.

Thanks

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have the door open while backing up???

OP
OP
J

JoshFink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still Looking
Engine
Still Looking
I did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it have all that safety warning/blind spot monitoring/lane departure crap on it? Could be a bad sensor thinking it’s seeing something you might back over. Is there any warnings or such while you’re backing up? That’s awful weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s the brake assist. I turned mine off when backing up. Scared me a few times as I tend to back up quickly and it just hits the brakes.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s the brake assist. I turned mine off when backing up. Scared me a few times as I tend to back up quickly and it just hits the brakes.

That’s a thing on them new trucks? It just randomly applies the brakes when you back up? Hmm.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Unless there is a problem with your mechanical parking brake, it is most likely the nannies on this new generation.

Last edited:

Matt2019ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Yup it's the break assist it scared the **** out of me the first time backing up. If you look at the dash when it happens it will say breaks. You can easily turn it off

OP
OP
J

JoshFink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still Looking
Engine
Still Looking
Yup it's the break assist it scared the **** out of me the first time backing up. If you look at the dash when it happens it will say breaks. You can easily turn it off

You are correct, it did say BRAKE on the dash. However, Does it just not work properly, ie a bad sensor, or is it just too sensitive? Scared the crap out of me.

OP
OP
J

JoshFink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still Looking
Engine
Still Looking
We have a dip as we come out of our driveway, that is enough to set it off, so I just turned the brake assist off, problem solved!

Perhaps that's it.. No clue.. It was annoying. Seems like, from reading around, that it's just a "feature" that gets turned off by most and move along.

Thanks

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me it was shadows that caused it. Or slightly elevated curb which isn’t an issue for a truck. Quickly turned off. Now the other crappy part, goes into park and e brake applied when door isn’t completely closed and latched fully. 5 min in middle of parking lot trying to figure out how to get that fixed lol.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Ahh, all these safety things. Reminds of a Col. Jeff Cooper story. He had a 1911 cocked and locked in an IWB holster. Someone asked him, "Isn't that dangerous?" and he said "Yep, wouldn't carry it if it wasn't." They don't make men like that anymore and same with trucks.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Truck used to go autistic like that, then I turned that **** off

So glad, doesn't make me look retaded anymore

I still like my park sensors but whenever they get iced over, I just hit the switches and turn them off. My auto-highbeams used to work pretty good but since installing much better HID’s in my low beams, I pretty much run those turned off because the reflection of the road signs makes the sensor think there’s a car coming and it turns them on and off all the time. My auto-wipers, they’ve been turned off for a long time because it tries running my wipers on high too much.

Mike R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another thing to watch out for when in reverse is if you have installed a helper step on the rear and forgot to put it back up it will set off brake in reverse.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yup my truck used to slam the brakes on, now it is turned off and I am a guy that hates to disable the factory electronics bit that is just to damn intrusive

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup turned mine off .. love the idea but has gone off a few times not needed and nearly shat myself.. no thanks.

MANDTZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter hemi
It is the brake assist. There's a thread on another forum about it. I have had the same problem; took it to the dealer and they said the sensors were dirty. After cleaning them, the problem went away, but the same thing can happen with the front accident avoidance system. Slams on the brakes while driving on the freeway. Very scary!
I just usually turn them off.

Terry Hartsel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Mine had been hit in the rear and they installed one of the parking sensors upside down. When they turned it over mine stopped.