Backing up with trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am still irritated the the dealership that i use, activated the Brake/Park recall for when you open the door.
Every time that i went to the dealer, i signed off they should not activate that system, but they did it anyway & then said 'Sorry About That' but it can't be changed back

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
First time this happened to me, it was embarrassing. It was seeing the trailer is an object and putting on the brake. Solution is posted above just turn off your backup sensor.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned off the auto braking system first thing in mine. Wouldn't let me back down a steep driveway one day and scared the living &%$# out of me by stopping me instantly. Thought reverse had gone out!

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As per the owners manual:

PARKSENSE FRONT/REAR PARK ASSIST SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED The ParkSense Park Assist system provides visual and audible indications of the distance between the rear and/or front fascia/bumper and a detected obstacle when backing up or moving forward (e.g. during a parking maneuver). If your vehicle is equipped with the automatic braking function, the vehicle brakes may be automatically applied and released when the vehicle is in REVERSE if the system detects a possible collision with an obstacle. NOTE:  The driver can disable the automatic braking function by turning ParkSense off via the ParkSense switch. The driver can also override automatic braking by changing the gear or by pressing the gas pedal over 90% of its capacity during the braking event.  Automatic brakes will not be available if the vehicle is in 4WD Low.  Automatic brakes will not be available if ESC is not available.  Automatic brakes will not be available if there is a faulted condition detected with the ParkSense Park Assist system or the Braking System.  The automatic braking function may only be applied if the vehicle deceleration is not enough to avoid colliding with a detected obstacle.  The automatic braking function may not be applied fast enough for obstacles that move toward the rear of the vehicle from the left and/or right sides.  The automatic braking function can be enabled/disabled from the Customer Programmable Features section of the Uconnect system.  ParkSense will retain its last known configuration state for the automatic braking function through ignition cycles.  Trailer hitch ball assembly may cause false braking events if left attached after towing. The automatic braking function is intended to assist the driver in avoiding possible collisions with detected obstacles when backing up in REVERSE gear.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The trailer needs to have working electric brakes plugged in with the factory brake controller, otherwise the truck doesn't know a trailer is behind it.
DITTO!!! op. 7 Pin, plugged in, with truck reading electric brakes on trailer turns off the Rear sensors, or just reach over and depress switch and turn off, LOL.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned mine off in the 12" U-Connect settings screens. You can still use the rear park-sense, but not have the automatic braking collision avoidance active.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whenever I back my 12x6 trailer, the collision prevention ******** screams and slams on brakes!

I get an indicator light showing truck knows there is a trailer, but it still refuses to allowing backing a trailer more than 10 feet or so.

For you guys who think you're smartasses, yes there is ample clearance to back up. It does this even in a empty parking lot if it’s a

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whenever I back my 12x6 trailer, the collision prevention ******** screams and slams on brakes!

I get an indicator light showing truck knows there is a trailer, but it still refuses to allowing backing a trailer more than 10 feet or so.

For you guys who think you're smartasses, yes there is ample clearance to back up. It does this even in a empty parking lot.
If it’s a 2019 and up ushould be able to turn it off in u connect system. I did butler my sensor on just turned off the auto brake

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you can't seem to turn it off, maybe the sensors are covered with mud or snow??
I will get buss if I have ice on back bumper , not all the time.