Backup cameras on travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I searched for this and couldn't find where anyone discussed this topic. I have the tow package and wondering if, when plugging up to a travel trailer, will the screen show the backup camera on the rear of the travel trailer instead of the tail of the truck? I'm trying to plan ahead while we're looking at campers.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
No, there is nothing in the 7 pin connector for video.
Most campers do not come with a back up cameras, they are usually an aftermarket add on.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I searched for this and couldn't find where anyone discussed this topic. I have the tow package and wondering if, when plugging up to a travel trailer, will the screen show the backup camera on the rear of the travel trailer instead of the tail of the truck? I'm trying to plan ahead while we're looking at campers.

You will still see the camera in the tailgate when backing. I installed a wireless observation camera from furrion and it works great. Wire it into the center clearance light on the trailer and anytime you want to activate it just turn on your parking lights. I use it often driving down the road to see whats happening behind me. The wireless signal is always strong and reliable.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No, there is nothing in the 7 pin connector for video.
Most campers do not come with a back up cameras, they are usually an aftermarket add on.

A lot of higher end campers do come with a factory camera and they also have the dash monitor that comes with it. I used to transport campers from mfg to dealer.
I always wanted one but have never been able to afford it.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought a Swift-Hitch-SH04-Wireless-Monitoring camera you can wire it in or use the built in battery. It has a magnetic mount on or you can mount it with screws. You use your cell phone for a screen. I works well for my needs.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's ludicrous that such a feature hasn't been integrated yet. Ford will probably do it first, then everybody else will follow.

I added a camera to my trailer 12 years ago. Finally got around to routing the wire into the cab of my 2015 Ram. I'm currently using a small monitor on the dash, but will be tying it into the built in display soon.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
It's ludicrous that such a feature hasn't been integrated yet. Ford will probably do it first, then everybody else will follow.

Nobody is going to "be the first" to break the RV industry standard connector pinout. To do so would mean that (how many?!) thousands of trailer light connectors would have to be rewired. RV dealerships are not going to custom wire each and every vehicle for each and every trailer they sell. THAT is ludicrous...

Your aftermarket trailer camera came with some kind of breakaway connector between the tow vehicle and trailer, just use that or go wireless.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I've been hoping someone creates an extension for the cargo cam (so it can

It would be nice to see a secondary standardized plug for cameras, backup sensors, TPM, and other features.

I'm kinda surprised there is not a popular mod to extend the cargo camera.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nobody is going to "be the first" to break the RV industry standard connector pinout. To do so would mean that (how many?!) thousands of trailer light connectors would have to be rewired. RV dealerships are not going to custom wire each and every vehicle for each and every trailer they sell. THAT is ludicrous...

Your aftermarket trailer camera came with some kind of breakaway connector between the tow vehicle and trailer, just use that or go wireless.
Nobody said they had to rewire the current plug. Rear view cameras on trailers are common place in other parts of the world and have been for many years.

In the near term, it would be as simple as providing an additional video input to the current dash display. Further down the line a wireless standard for a transmitter and receiver near the hitch could be added. Pretty straight forward, simple stuff.

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a Swift-Hitch-SH04-Wireless-Monitoring camera you can wire it in or use the built in battery. It has a magnetic mount on or you can mount it with screws. You use your cell phone for a screen. I works well for my needs.
Can I asķ how long have you used this? Any issues?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Sorry fellas ford already doing this . I'm surprised ram or GM hasent jumped on board maybe they are waiting for the 5th gen ram. For those who dont have time to watch the video they are using a separate 12 pin connector in the bumper along with the factory 7 pin. Its 2 connectors along with this set up you get trailer Tpms

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been hoping someone creates an extension for the cargo cam (so it can

It would be nice to see a secondary standardized plug for cameras, backup sensors, TPM, and other features.

I'm kinda surprised there is not a popular mod to extend the cargo camera.

Well, the cargo camera isn't all that old.....

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Something else to consider on TT cameras. Personally I wouldn't want my camera wired into the radio screen. When backing I use both mirrors and the backup monitor attached to the dash. Its nice to be able to use both mirrors and monitor without having to check mirrors, look down at radio, backup to mirrors, etc.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I sometimes look at the tailgate camera on my ram when I'm backing my trailer up to see how hard I'm jack knifed if I'm cutting it hard. Yes I use my mirrors for this as well but the tailgate camera shows it pretty good also

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I spent almost 500 bucks for the furrion wireless camera for the rear of my 27" trailer. the only thing it's used for is to make sure i dont back my trailer into a post or rock or something, when i get to the campsite. its nice, but unnecessary really. GOAL. (Get Out And Look.) Could have saved myself 500 bucks and not missed it.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I spent almost 500 bucks for the furrion wireless camera for the rear of my 27" trailer. the only thing it's used for is to make sure i dont back my trailer into a post or rock or something, when i get to the campsite. its nice, but unnecessary really. GOAL. (Get Out And Look.) Could have saved myself 500 bucks and not missed it.

But one of the bigger advantages to the furrion is its an observation camera and I use it a lot driving down the road to see what's happening behind me. Your correct in saying get out and look before backing in as it will familiarize yourself with whats back there. I also use 2 way radios with my wife when backing into tight sites. Cant depend on most women to use hand signals or stand where you can see them when backing so the radios work much better.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The furrion one is so expensive and I cant seem to figure out if it's high definition or not. I've been looking at the haloview mc7108. Cheaper, higher resolution and has crazy range.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The furrion one is so expensive and I cant seem to figure out if it's high definition or not. I've been looking at the haloview mc7108. Cheaper, higher resolution and has crazy range.

I paid about 400 for mine. Ratings were high. I don't know about the resolution but I can say the picture is very good and range is 300'+ by my testing.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But one of the bigger advantages to the furrion is its an observation camera and I use it a lot driving down the road to see what's happening behind me. Your correct in saying get out and look before backing in as it will familiarize yourself with whats back there. I also use 2 way radios with my wife when backing into tight sites. Cant depend on most women to use hand signals or stand where you can see them when backing so the radios work much better.
I'm solo, so I rely on my own eyes alone :) And being that I drive much bigger trucks and trailers every day, I am used to not seeing what's right behind me, so I dont use it for monitoring the followers. It *is* helpful, but for me, I really could have put the money into something else instead. Not to mention, the suction cup mount that came with the monitor? Absolute ****. First time I tried to put it on the windshield, it fell apart. Fine by me, I keep it in the console and only pull it out when I get to the camp site, and only sometimes at that, depending on the site.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Cant depend on most women to use hand signals or stand where you can see them when backing so the radios work much better.

I ROFL at this comment because it's so true. I deal with this issue with my DW every time we go camping if she can be bothered enough to get out and look in the first place.....lol!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye