Bad low coolant sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kita

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Turns out I have a bad low coolant sensor on my 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7. Looking for advice from anyone on how to remove the sensor from the bottom of the coolant reservoir. I'm just trying to replace the sensor and not the entire reservoir. Service department at the local dealer told me I had to replace everything but I was able to just buy the sensor through the parts department at the same dealer. I know I need to access the reservoir through the passenger side wheel well.

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Changing the sensor is easy enough. As you said, remove the plastic fender well and the sensor is right there in the tank at bottom. You will not loose any fluid because it sits inside a sealed hole, not directly exposed to the coolant.

I changed mine a few months ago after a hard freeze here in East Texas, but ever since then I always get Low Coolant warnings even when the tank is full. I believe a mechanic on this forum said the entire tank needs to be changed due to deposits on the tank walls that interfere with the sensor working properly. My truck is a 2018 with 56K miles since new.

Complete Turf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a 'low coolant' message show up a few weeks ago in my 2016 3500 Cab/Chassis 6.7L. It has about 138,000 miles on it now. I added some coolant and the message went away. A few days ago, the message showed up again. I added more coolant, but the tank was not low. The messages does not go away.

Am I safe to continue running the truck until I can replace the sensor and/or tank? Again, the coolant level in the tank is full.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you physically check the coolant level when the truck is level, off and cool, both the radiator and the coolant reservoir, U should be OK. But now, I am not a mechanic, just what I would do.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changing the sensor is easy enough. As you said, remove the plastic fender well and the sensor is right there in the tank at bottom. You will not loose any fluid because it sits inside a sealed hole, not directly exposed to the coolant.

I changed mine a few months ago after a hard freeze here in East Texas, but ever since then I always get Low Coolant warnings even when the tank is full. I believe a mechanic on this forum said the entire tank needs to be changed due to deposits on the tank walls that interfere with the sensor working properly. My truck is a 2018 with 56K miles since new.
Did the low coolant flash a code in yer ECU that U need to get a reader and clear??? I got lucky on my truck in the freeze, just could not get up/down hill due to 4" of ice on road that they used a road grader and scrapped down to a beautiful ice skating surface, so I just drove in the grass up and down the hill. TYVM FCA for a decent 4WD and TY Falken for the Wildpeak tires, LOL.

Complete Turf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have not changed anything yet, and I still have the low coolant message all the time.

Is it worth taking a chance to change only the sensor, or should I just go ahead and change the entire tank?

Has anyone been successful changing only the sensor?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am no help but following. Please update what you do to fix it Thanks

Complete Turf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I changed the sensor today. I started the truck and the "low coolant level" message is gone. Removing the fender well was not as easy as I thought. I will try to upload a video to YouTube and post a link here. If I can't link the video, I will explain more in my next post.

Complete Turf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here is a link to the video I made.
We had to pull the old sensor out with pliers. And we had to tap the new one in with a hammer. We did this by taping a small socket to it then tapping it in place.
Putting the fender well back was just as difficult as taking it down. I'd say the entire project took just over an hour.
I did have to call a professional mechanic (my brother) to help remove the old and he put the new one in. https://youtu.be/wAutJQZnaxo

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Your way looks a little easier then pulling the grill. Thanks for the Update and video

Complete Turf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update. After driving about 5 miles, the low coolant level message came back on, and stayed on.
I guess changing only the sensor was a waste of time and money.
Next will be to change the whole tank. Not sure when I'll get to that.
I wish I knew someone with experience with this issue that could tell me if I'm doing the right thing.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Is there any way that theses tanks can be flushed?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Is there any way that theses tanks can be flushed?
Maybe a good idea !
wonder if flushing it with Vinegar or TSP would clean a tank ? They clean Coffee pots, calcium deposits etc

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you cycle the ignition a few times, it may shut the message off
Just drive normally for a few days

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads