Bad white smoke at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcsheffery

Reaction score
Ram Year
05 dodge
Engine
5.9 cummins
211,000 miles I'm getting pretty bad smoke at start up. Lasts about 5 mins pretty rough runninh until warmed up then seems to run great. Head gasket? If so how long do nbn I have generally before i NEED to get that fixed. Iv replaced front timing case gasket, rear main, trans cooler, radiator, flex plate all in the last 5 months about sick of working on this thing. Edge chip, cold air intake 4in turbo back exhaust

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like leaking/sticking injectors. Unfortunately running a tuner with increased rail pressure isn't doing your injectors any favors

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
White smoke from a diesel usually means injectors. I'd try a good diesel fuel additive first before tearing into it. I know alot of guys run Lucas fuel treatment, but I'm sure there's more and better ones on the market. Hopefully a longtime diesel guy will chime in with a particular product.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Trying running some Power Service Diesel Kleen and see if that helps. I used to use it in my old 5.9. It might help?

Other then that you need to diagnose the problem before you start throwing parts at it. Get a leak down test done on the injectors so you can see if that is the problem (that's my bet).

ramcumminssix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
try sticktion eliminator from hotshot secrets. i have seen it bring injectors back from the dead and save people thousands

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Typically no fuel additives are going to help if the injectors are not working properly. 200-250K miles is where most people get before new injectors. The issue could cause etching of the cylinder walls if not corrected. Basically the spray pattern turns into a waterjet that cuts if left long enough. It can also damage pistons as well. White smoke is something that you want to have addressed sooner rather than later. Its not a hard job at all, just a little pricey for the hardware.