Badly fouled plugs in #8 Cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
just fyi here's your mds system, not the different lifter lifting patterns at the end of this...

OP
OP
K

kevink73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are DIY-ing it, I would think the cam/lifter swap would be easiest and cheapest.

sounds not relevant now, buy mds system shuts down 4 cylinders and send more gas to other cylinders in the name of fuel economy, if you disable it all cylinders fire all the time. Reman engine is a lot more work as you need to remove engine and tranny, cam install is way less work. This is a great dyi cam instal thread, kind of a cam bible around here.

Thanks for the link. I'll look through that thread. I've never done a cam swap before but have removed and installed engines many times. The truck belongs to a company (HVAC) that my son in law works for. So I guess it will be decided by them. If I do the swap what range would labor be charged?

Thanks

OP
OP
K

kevink73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just fyi here's your mds system, not the different lifter lifting patterns at the end of this...

Could't hear the video but did watch it. From video it shows cam lobes moving while others are not? if so I'm not sure how that works. Are you suggesting that something could be wrong with MDS instead of the cam itself?

Thanks

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I was wondering what would happen if someone ignored the misfire code and symptoms after losing a lifter for an extended period.
I be damned if you didn't nail the diagnosis on this 1............LoL

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could't hear the video but did watch it. From video it shows cam lobes moving while others are not? if so I'm not sure how that works. Are you suggesting that something could be wrong with MDS instead of the cam itself?

Thanks

No mds has nothing to do with it as far as why it happened , but if you have a bunch of oil causing a dirty combustion chamber you would want that engine firing to keep it clean. An engine is similar to a fire, you want an efficient fire that isn't leaving a lot of residue or soot you want it hot, if not you get residue. MDS seams to work fine, but once there is a problem I see it as making the situation worse.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the link. I'll look through that thread. I've never done a cam swap before but have removed and installed engines many times. The truck belongs to a company (HVAC) that my son in law works for. So I guess it will be decided by them. If I do the swap what range would labor be charged?

Thanks

Cam costs are all over the board here, I'd say between 3500 mom and pop and 7800 at the dealer for the whole enchilada. I believe parts are about 1200 this includes their markup, so do the math. Now, because this is a known issue FCA has been known to eat the some of the costs on these swaps, I would take to dealer and make a stink about how many rams you know have these things failing and tell him there were all freeway miles yadayada, maybe fca will eat some of this. Good luck, burla

This is an interesting case, you potentially have a mis fire from a cam lob that over flooded the combustion chamber, so it is "possible" that all of that build up came from gas only.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And how about all of that fuel in Cyl 8 do a leak test on all cylinders and I'll bet you see allot of blow by on cyl 8 make sure the dip stick doesn't take to flight and remove the oil fill cap
I usually do a dry and wet compression test,do the dry compression test first and for the wet test, I use a hand oil gun and squirt 3-4 shots in the cylinder and see if the compression reading goes up that will tell you how your ring are.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well picked up a compression and leak down tester. Compression tested a little over 120. Didn't know when you engaged starter that it will continue to crank. So I was able to crank it over and look at movement of rockers. The #8 intake rocker movement was much less than others by about 50%. So i would assume its the camshaft lobe is ate up. Is it worth a cam replacement on it at 160k miles or put in reman engine?

If you pull the starter relay in the fuse box by the battery,you can make up a short jumper with a couple spade ends on it,and run the starter from there with no run-on as soon as you pull the jumper out of one of the pin receptacles,just leave the key off.You could probably rig up something to hook onto a remote starter switch if so inclined,i just use a short chunk of 12G with 2 spade terminals crimped on,jump pins number 30 and 87

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I would tell the person that owns the truck to put plugs back in it and trade it on a new hemi at the largest volume ram dealership in your area. when and if (160k miles they won’t look that hard at it) they say something make a big deal about it in the sales office that you are buying a motor with a known issue and get them to call corporate, they won’t do bc they know they have a problem.

dealership run on new car sales and will not let a sell fall through

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Might want to look into a boroscope like this and see what the cylinder looks like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KYTSVXW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_vIViEbCYE4B0Z

I couldn't find any listing for the size of the end . You don't want the end that goes in the cylinder any bigger then 9mm,and that's even on the big size,8.5 mm or smaller fits in the plug hole a little easier.

Autel has what i'd call semi decent boroscope that isn't to bad on price.It looks like it might even be on sale this week,lol.

https://www.autelonline.com/autel-maxivideo-mv400-digital-inspection-videoscope_p35.html

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Best thing to do is replace ALL of the PLUGS and watch them after say 10,000 miles to see if it is corrected but if the owner is replacing one or two and not all the plugs God only knows when those two were replaced .

Mitch1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Have a 2014 ram 1500 160k miles with a 5.7 hemi with codes p0300 and p0308. I pulled all the plugs on passenger side and all looked fine except for the two in cylinder #8. I have never seen plugs get this bad before. Any ideas on the cause? I will post picture of the plugs any help is appreciated.

View attachment 191974

That's a weak or bad coil. Swap the coil with another one, clear the codes and the code will change if I am right. Say you switch 8 with 6 you'll then get a P0306 code.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
He’ll have plenty of time to play around with ignition components when the top end and heads are off ;)

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only on one cylinder limit the inspection to that cylinder. May be sticking valve, maybe bad injector, may be bad coil pack. P0308 is misfire cylinder 8, obviously... check the coil pack. My guess is this thing didn’t go down the road too smoothly.....

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
You guys are missing the post the op said about cam/lifter issue on #8
Well picked up a compression and leak down tester. Compression tested a little over 120. Didn't know when you engaged starter that it will continue to crank. So I was able to crank it over and look at movement of rockers. The #8 intake rocker movement was much less than others by about 50%. So i would assume its the camshaft lobe is ate up. Is it worth a cam replacement on it at 160k miles or put in reman engine?
This will foul plugs long term if ignoring codes & continue to operate engine.

Douglas Hough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Where these plugs ever changed. Out of the 16 in my 5.7 hemisphere only 3 were easy so maybe someone just gave up. Or, bad rings , bad valve seals, etc

Good luck