Bakflip MX4, Undercover Ultra Flex, or Lomax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie Crew Cab - Flame Red
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I've gone down the rabbit hole of searching for tonneau covers for my 2019 Laramie and am completely paralyzed. Been emailing with Luke from Truck Alterations and he's recommended these three, but said the Lomax would be his favorite if I wasn't concerned about folding it all the way up. I'm not sure that's my biggest concern, but mainly concerned with overall quality and resistance to leaks. I was also considering the Revolver X2 or X4, but have seen issues with them in colder climates like where I am in the Northeast. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the club! I've been on the same search for a week or so, and finally pulled the trigger on a cover a few days ago.

I took what I think is a very pragmatic approach to find a cover that met my needs. First, I looked at how I use the truck. For me, the cover is to protect anything I may put in the bed. 99% of the time, I wouldn't need to take the cover off to use the bed, and I didn't want to have to lift the rear panel just to properly shut the tail gate every time I opened it.

That took the list of available tops down to just a few... The Revolver, the MX4, the F1, and an Undercover brand cover. I didn't want a cover with an aluminum top panel, I've heard that they are easily dented. And I wasn't crazy about a roll-up cover, so the revolver moved down in priority.

The Bakflip F1 was about $100 more than the MX4, and is essentially the same cover, except for the fiberglass/plastic top on the panels. I figured if I saved that $100, I'd regret it the first time I dinged up the cover... so I ordered the F1.

It hasn't showed up yet, so I can't pass any judgement on it, just thought I'd share the quick summary of my week's worth of being lost in the internet jungle.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Welcome to the club! I've been on the same search for a week or so, and finally pulled the trigger on a cover a few days ago.

I took what I think is a very pragmatic approach to find a cover that met my needs. First, I looked at how I use the truck. For me, the cover is to protect anything I may put in the bed. 99% of the time, I wouldn't need to take the cover off to use the bed, and I didn't want to have to lift the rear panel just to properly shut the tail gate every time I opened it.

That took the list of available tops down to just a few... The Revolver, the MX4, the F1, and an Undercover brand cover. I didn't want a cover with an aluminum top panel, I've heard that they are easily dented. And I wasn't crazy about a roll-up cover, so the revolver moved down in priority.

The Bakflip F1 was about $100 more than the MX4, and is essentially the same cover, except for the fiberglass/plastic top on the panels. I figured if I saved that $100, I'd regret it the first time I dinged up the cover... so I ordered the F1.

It hasn't showed up yet, so I can't pass any judgement on it, just thought I'd share the quick summary of my week's worth of being lost in the internet jungle.

Can you not close the tailgate without opening the tonneau with the Lomax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are all good choices. I must say the LOMAX has been the one with the best feedback from our customers. We offer all the options listed, let us know if you would like a quote. We offer great pricing on bed covers!

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Those are all good choices. I must say the LOMAX has been the one with the best feedback from our customers. We offer all the options listed, let us know if you would like a quote. We offer great pricing on bed covers!

Just sent you an email for a quote.

reyn3545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for me.... the Lomax had an aluminum cover, and o option to tilt up all 3 panels if you need the entire bed. This would not be a frequent need for me, but if I were not at home when I realized I need the full bed, then I cant just fold it forward... I would need to store it somewhere until I got home. I learned that lesson with my Avalanche several years ago.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for me.... the Lomax had an aluminum cover, and o option to tilt up all 3 panels if you need the entire bed. This would not be a frequent need for me, but if I were not at home when I realized I need the full bed, then I cant just fold it forward... I would need to store it somewhere until I got home. I learned that lesson with my Avalanche several years ago.

You could always take the LOMAX off and put it in the bed of the truck length ways. Folded up it doesnt take up much room at all

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my LOMAX cover, it's worked perfect and looks great on my truck!!!

Scott_Bourne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
I bought the BakFlip but regret it. It was supposed to come with a $75 rebate form. It didn't. It was supposed to come with rubber bumpers to stop the cover from damaging paint or glass when propped open - it didn't - been calling and emailing them for two weeks trying to get help and so far - it's just BS - no response - or lies. Won't buy from them again.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No major leaks? Does it lock 1/3 open?

No, only is locked when completely closed.... I get a little dribble of water if it rains really hard and the winds blows just right. I could probably adjust it and get rid of it but just haven't had a chance to try.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stay the hell away from Bakflip....they all are garbage. Owned the G2 and MX4-all leak. Owned 2 G2's in fact one was a replacement and it leaked too.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Stay the hell away from Bakflip....they all are garbage. Owned the G2 and MX4-all leak. Owned 2 G2's in fact one was a replacement and it leaked too.

What do you suggest as an alternative?

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you suggest as an alternative?

I wish I had an answer to that. I tried Undercover but it barely caught the edge on my bed (meaning the lip barely sat on the bed rail). I sent it back cause i was worried about that. Bought MX4, it leaked. Next one will be Gator rolling. I've had good luck with Gator products in the past. Now, not sure on the flip style or not...

mjb765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too bad the Gator roll up is not available for a long bed.....

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The more I read the more I'm leaning towards the Lomax. Anybody have any negative feedback about them?