Bakflip MX4, Undercover Ultra Flex, or Lomax?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i went with the bakflip F1. I do like the looks of the Lomax. It's a premium cover. But I had to have the feature to lock the cover against the truck window. I help a lot of family move, change tires, pick up stuff. I'm the only one with a truck so I'm the go to for my kids and ex. Plus I do dump runs. I don't want to have to completely remove a cover to use the truck bed for anything I want or worry about banging the edge of the cover with a load. We also can get severe hail here so fiberglass was a must (i looked at the Mopar cover as well but I believe it was aluminum even though I initially planned to get an aluminum cover). Yes, it occasionally gets a small leak. fair trade off for me. Once a year I put luggage in the back to go to the lake. Aside from that, a little wet won't hurt anything. And I don't mind I have to lift a panel to close the tailgate.

If I had one piece its that the pull wire on one side or the other can get buried to lift a panel. That did annoy me as it was always accessible but first panel left, then i had to go right for the 2nd and 3rd panels. So I fixed it and now no beefs. I took some black zip ties and just looped one around the pull wire on each of the panels and the loop just hangs down about 2 inches. Just did them all on the drivers side. Pull the loop, not the wire. Works like a charm.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I just learned that if you have an 8’ bed on your Ram, the Bakflip mx4 does not have a locking latch on the second panel up from the tail gate. A friend lifted that panel up 2 to 3 inches with the tailgate closed.
Something to think about when you consider which top to buy.

This is 100% not true. Each of the 4 panels has a set of latches at the rearmost edge.
Maybe it’s a defective product.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
honestly...this rings a bell with me. Thought I came across a comment like this elsewhere when I was looking but given i have 3 panel version it wasn't any issue. then again, i think i only saw one comment otherwise so maybe dealer issue. you do run into a few comments here and there about a panel being scratched and such so maybe they occasionally have a fab issue. mine was perfect..every part of it.

Last edited:

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I called Bakflip technical support on the current Ram 8' mx4 and they confirmed that of the four panels, it only has three lock latch panels. I thought others would want to know this before buying.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Last week I installed the BakFlip MX4 with Rambox. I found it very well built and simple to install. It uses the existing rail/tie down system. It took all of half hour. Very secure and no water penetration so far. If you have a Rambox you really have no choice, however this is good quality. I'm very happy.

Inkedbakflip_LI.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THe MX4 is a great looking cover. really like that one. It has been one of our more popular sellers lately

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Undercover Ultra Flex here and love itIMG_1232 (1).jpgIMG_1247.jpg

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
If you have a bed camera and a 5th wheel setup, the undercover flex and ultra flex will block the camera. The Bakflip mx4 and f1 leans against the cab and so the camera works. It cost me $300 to find this out.

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I found out that line-x under their truck gear line carries the backflip with life time warranty. They Coat the F1 with line-X and call it the LXP. This top will not fade and doesn't dent like aluminum.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was set on the ultra flex but came accross the enthuze r-series hard fold covers that has really got my interest

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963