Ball joint separation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m considering a leveling kit that only uses spacers. I’ve seen some people comment about upper ball joint separation because of the geometry of the stock UCAs.

Has anyone had this happen? What is the failure mode? Is it catastrophic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt anybody has had it happen on a 2019 yet. The 4th gens were notorious for coming out of their socket. The 2019 upper control arm and ball joint is all new so nobody knows how it will hold up yet. I wanted piece of mind so I did the Readylift leveling kit with new UCAs.

If the ball joint fails and pulls out of the socket, the top of the spindle would be completely loose and generally the top of the wheel will fall toward the inside. Could be dangerous.

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Not 100% verified but many have commented that the uca that comes with the mopar 2" lift kit seems to be the exact same as the stock uca (part numbers are not the same) which would imply that stock uca is okay with a leveling kit.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve seen pictures of rams leveled without the arms and you can definitely see the angle compromised. Is it enough to have an issue? Who knows but I know for me, I wanted the arms to be certain I’d never have to worry about it. These trucks sticker for $50k+, to spend an additional $400 for the arms is change.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
I’ve seen pictures of rams leveled without the arms and you can definitely see the angle compromised. Is it enough to have an issue? Who knows but I know for me, I wanted the arms to be certain I’d never have to worry about it. These trucks sticker for $50k+, to spend an additional $400 for the arms is change.

Agreed. We compared pics here on the forum when I did my Mopar 2" lift. There is defintely a difference between the UCAs.

Stock UCA with leveling kit:
0570d589-a2ba-4c2c-afe9-51d21d5fba18-jpeg.137448

Mine with Mopar UCA and lift:
539d2101-dbdf-4a0f-a02f-bde18d05d9de-jpeg.137454

OP
OP
M

masand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the opinions everyone and especially for the photos, Anthony.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

2019 Laramie 2WD, 5.7 Hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus Deluna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I reached out to my local 4 wheel parts over this subject and they told me the uca that come with the 2" mopar lift are exactly the same as the stock uca. Not sure what to think....

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I reached out to my local 4 wheel parts over this subject and they told me the uca that come with the 2" mopar lift are exactly the same as the stock uca. Not sure what to think....

There was a post on another forum that explained that they are not the same. While they look identical, the ball on the 2” lift arms rotate further.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The last I heard is that 4 wheel parts will not install a "lift kit" ie; Bil. 5100's without also upgrading the UCA. Might just be the one here in Austin but they made it sound like a company wide policy. I agree that it is just good insurance.
Jay