Ball Joint time on my 2015 HD 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mag162

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First post on the forum. I have a 2015 RAM HD with the 6.4, Rough /country leveling kit and 35's
After noticing some uneven tread wear and rotating the tires I notice a small bit of play in my upper passenger ball joint. Truck has 110k and is my 100 mile RT DD.
Will be replacing all the ball joints at once. What is the best stuff to use and while in there what else should I look to replace. Truck has been 100% reliable with brakes at 90K the only thing Ive done to her. Besides tires every 25K or so.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome to the forum. Those ball joints can get very expensive its a dealers choice thing. They make very expensive ones that are better then stock for sure. But if the stock ones went 110k makes you think. How long was the lift on the truck. Id settle in at a upgrade from stock but i would not spend 800 bucks ether. Emf joints maybe. Others that have done it will chime in.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If you don't go with the real expensive stuff, stay with OEM. Moog, and parts house stuff is garbage(yes, worse than OEM), and the truck won't drive right. I made that mistake and had Moogs put in my '05 and it never tracked right after that.

On Edit: My '05 was a CTD, so the extra weight of the Cummins made the binding of the aftermarket joints more pronounced.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
If you don't go with the real expensive stuff, stay with OEM. Moog, and parts house stuff is garbage(yes, worse than OEM), and the truck won't drive right. I made that mistake and had Moogs put in my '05 and it never tracked right after that.

On Edit: My '05 was a CTD, so the extra weight of the Cummins made the binding of the aftermarket joints more pronounced.
That’s good stuff. I’d go with Carli or back in with oem.

OP
OP
M

Mag162

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where can I find the OEM stuff? or a part number?
And what about replacing bearings and hubs and anything else up there while everything is off?

bigdodge

Reaction score
Hey b and bearing r one piece. As long as it has no play and feels smooth while turning don't worry about them. Rockauto usually has OEM at good prices.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Put some good grease in those hubs while it's your apart. It's not easy without an extra hand but spin them and slowly squeeze the grease gun. Remove the ABS sensor on top and fill thru that hole.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the EMF Ball joints are rebuild-able on the truck, and supposedly bomb proof.
Thuren recommendation, so ill close my eyes and throw the cash at them.

not sure if there are any laying around right now but i would give them a shout.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Just picked up mine today from having new ball joints replaced; also one of my brake calipers locked up Monday which is why I took it in. I’ll have to check receipt but I think it was just under a grand for them to be replaced. I know the total was like $3200 but that included tires also. It drives like a new truck again though; I didn’t realize just how wore out my front end had become after 140k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ball joints on these trucks are crap. Not as bad as the 3rd gens but not a whole lot better. If you do any kind of rough road driving, dirt road wash boards etc, expect them to fail sooner then later. Mine started to go at about 20k miles but because Ram has such loose tolerances the dealer would not replace them under warranty even though they clunked around like crazy and were causing tire wear.

I still need to replace mine and will be going with EMF or Carli. I've did 3 sets on my 3rd gen so will probably tackle it myself

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ball joints on these trucks are crap. Not as bad as the 3rd gens but not a whole lot better. If you do any kind of rough road driving, dirt road wash boards etc, expect them to fail sooner then later. Mine started to go at about 20k miles but because Ram has such loose tolerances the dealer would not replace them under warranty even though they clunked around like crazy and were causing tire wear.

I still need to replace mine and will be going with EMF or Carli. I've did 3 sets on my 3rd gen so will probably tackle it myself

why no dynatracs? i had them in my 2006 and they were good. im not sold on these EMF just yet.